Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2020, 04:19 PM   #1

Binding Waste Water Fixed!

I just wanted to report that a binding waste water valve solution I saw on YouTube really worked!!

On our last trip, our gray water valve bound up so tightly that the plastic handle poped off the shaft. Thankfully, I was able to use pliers to pull the valve out to release the water.

The plastic threads in the handle didn't look too damaged so I screwed the handle back on to the shaft and pushed it back in. When I got home I fretted that night about how to resolve it without replacing the entire valve since we are scheduled to travel again in a couple of weeks. Then I remembered the YouTube video on drilling a small hole in the valve body next to the handle (handle in the closed position) and squirting dry lube in the hole; then sealing the hole back with a small screw.

Well, I tried it and much to my great relief, it worked like a charm. The valve slides in and out very easily now. I plan to do it to my black water valve next and then to lube valves periodically by removing the screws.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #2

Thank you. I'll have to watch the video
Old 02-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #3

When the valve handle is fully extracted, you can also spray the rod with some silicone spray and that keeps it working smoothly also.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:12 AM   #4

I tried that with no improvement. I think you need to get the lubricant into the inside tracks with the valve blade slides. Also, when you spray inside I think the lube gets on the blade itself which lubes rubber seal-blade interface.

I tried to find a diagram showing the internal structure of a typical RV waste valve on the Internet so I could understand the internals better but have yet to find one.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #5

There are several YouTube videos on it but here's the one I followed...

Old 02-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #6

I did this mod a few weeks ago because both of my valves were tight. I saw the video online and decided to give it a try.

One of the videos I saw had them using WD40 silicone spray so that is what I tried. It did indeed free up the slides. Hopefully they will stay that way for awhile. I just returned from a trip and will be emptying the tanks within a few days so I have my fingers crossed.

Drilling the hole and plugging with a screw was very easy. I recommend putting a shop towel around the hole while you squirt the lube in as it blows water back out the hole. I wasn't expecting water to be in that area.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote