Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2021, 07:03 PM   #21

I just installed the see level sensors on my 2021 284 BHOK trailer. The grey tank was reading 1/3 full on both systems after dumping tanks. I removed the bottom weatherproofing and see the pipe from the second tank to the discharge goes up about 2 inches. May fix it later, but I raised the front about a foot and was able to empty it. Sad to see this got manufactured like this.
2014 Ford F-150 Max Tow (sold)
2017 Jayco White Hawk 27RBOK(totaled)
Tom B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
You are not the first to discover the drain pipes pitch the wrong way. I have the same problem on my HT fifth wheel with three tanks. The rear gray tank 1 1/2" ABS drain has two issues: 1st, the 3" reducer to 1 1/2" was installed so the reduced outlet is not at the very bottom of the 3" opening; 2nd, the drain runs rearward, then turns 90 degrees to the side before another 90 degree turn forward to the main waste outlet. Because the tank is a center drain, pitching the camper to the side does not help, neither does pitching it rearward. My best solution has been to install a gate valve at the dump connection. With that gate valve closed and the waste tank valve open while driving I do get more of the gray water to drain forward.
I have removed the entire coroplast underbelly and investigated my options: there really are none! I cannot get the amount of pitch in the right direction without removing everything and rerouting it all.
Its interesting to note that these units are assembled when the frame is upside down at the factory - it's no surprise the installers cannot judge what is up or down! Nor is it a surprise they couldn't care less! So we deal with the consequences. I'm just glad there isn't enough liquid in that pipe to freeze solid and rupture the waste-line in our cold winters.
Somehow, I don't feel better knowing I am not the only one, but I do appreciate the insight into how/why it happens. I never would have thought of upside down assembly, but now it makes perfect sense. Regarding a repair solution, I came to a similar conclusion. Disassemble it all and re-do all of the pipes. I'm not in a position to tackle it right now due to reservations at campgrounds throughout the rest of the month. I might have a break during December where the rig will be parked at a storage facility, so I might tackle it then. It's still under warranty, but the pain of doing it myself is considerably less than trying to a get a dealer to do it, do it right, and do it when it's convenient for me. Maybe if I get really lucky, but then again, who am I kidding.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:59 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
We’re the old sensors hard to remove?
They were quite easy to get out. I removed both nuts and the wire, Placed a box wrench over the rubber (it was either 9/16" or 5/8"). then large diameter flat washer (with a small center hole) on the stud, then threaded one of the nuts back on, tightening it slowly. The sensor stud pulls the grommet out as you tighten the nut. It works best in warm temperatures.

There's a You Tube video on how it works.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote