Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2023, 05:55 PM   #1

Black holding tank leaking from top

We purchased a used Jayco x17z hybrid last fall. We took it out once and notice a slight dripping from one of the tanks once we hooked up to the truck and it was unleveled. We have never had a camper with the bathroom before. We assumed it might be an overflow from the holding tank and would watch it.

We went out this weekend and after 3 nights today we noticed water again leaking before we were going to leave. Much more thing time. We ran more water through the toilet and notice it coming from the black holding tank. Once we again hooked up and it was unleveled it really started to pour out. It looks like it’s coming from the top of the tank where it meets the bottom frame. Not just one spot but multiple. Definitely was from the toilet part as it smelled like a porta potty. We are going to take it in to get it looked at but any ideas what we could be dealing with/possible issue? Don’t know if there is a seal that would be needing to be replace or the whole tank.

Sad we are already having issues with our “new” camper. The guy we got it from seemed like he had taken really good care of it. Always indoors. He did put a new toilet in shortly before he upgraded his camper bc the other ones foot peddle broke so not sure if maybe something got messed up there?
Wicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:20 PM   #2

You don't mention having ever dumped the tank.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:58 PM   #3

Yes we had dumped the tank. It was empty when we got it. The first time we used it it showed maybe 1/3. Emptied and cleaned it. This time it was showing 2/3. We only had used it for #1. Not sure if the tank is reading correctly as it seems like it filled up fast.
We had a nice person who was a long term camping pro behind us the first time we were at the dump station. They helped walk us through everything to make sure it was getting done right.
Everything was drained and dried out/winterized for the season.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicamper View Post
He did put a new toilet in shortly before he upgraded his camper bc the other ones foot peddle broke so not sure if maybe something got messed up there?
Welcome to the group!
My guess, something went wrong with the toilet replacement.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:20 AM   #5

Once the leak is repaired, don't rely on the correctness of the tank sensor indication of fill. It is common that they are off, as toilet paper and waste get on the sensor, causing it to misread and indicate true fill capacity.

A wand that you can connect to a hose and put down the toilet helps, or you can buy a flushing system that cleans out the tank.

I agree with the previous post in that the new toilet install could be the issue of the leak, or, the previous owner changed the toilet in hopes of correcting the leak.

Fingers crossed for you.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:22 AM   #6

I will definitely have them check out the toilet when I call for the appointment. Hopefully something just came loose and it will be a “cheap” repair.
We got one of the flushing wands too. He had recommended it. He had adapted with a on/off valve so it hooks up to the waterline and you can use it right in the camper. Not sure how far in I should shove that tho. I didn’t want to break anything. I pushed it a little down past the rubber seal.
How do you guess how full the tank is?
Old 05-30-2023, 07:30 AM   #7

A nearly full black tank usually will "burp" when the toilet is flushed. Air cannot go out the vent, so it pushes up into the bowl. Also, I can tell when our black tank is getting full by the sound of the flush. These may depend on how your toilet is plumbed, ours is straight into the tank, and can also be vi-eewwed a flashlight. OEM gauges are pretty much useless.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:19 AM   #8
Site Team

Have them check the vent pipe also to assure it is seated in the tank properly.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:53 AM   #9
Site Team

snip...[QUOTE=Wicamper;1112820 Not sure how far in I should shove that tho. I didn’t want to break anything. I pushed it a little down past the rubber seal.
How do you guess how full the tank is?[/QUOTE]

There are a couple of devices to hold the flush valve open while you rinse the tank. I run a separate hose to the wand and turn the water off to the TT. Open the toilet and drop this in. I have the straight wand made out of PVC, and drilled three more opposing holes in the bottom cap so I didn't have to twist it so much while rinsing. I go all the way to the bottom of the tank while it's on.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40075-C.../dp/B07FD4SVR4

I use this one, but I've had it for ages.

https://www.onesourcerv.com/products...t-valve-holder

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote