Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Black holding tank question

We are new to travel trailers & need advice. Do you put deodorizes in the black holding tank when it is being stored, before you take off on a trip, or both?

Thanks for the help!

Josie
Jayco 197 jay feather ultra lite
AZ Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #2

I put treatment along with 1gal of water in mine after every time I dump the tank.
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bud Man View Post
I put treatment along with 1gal of water in mine after every time I dump the tank.
X2
Old 07-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Site Team

Both! Ditto on the added water as well!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #5

Someone (sorry I don't remember who) posted his/her formula on this forum a while back, and I tried it instead of commercial treatments. IMHO, it works better than commercial. I put a cup down each drain, and the rest of a gallon down the toilet after each dumping. No odors or problems at all, and have not bought any more commercial treatment since. The recipe is as follows:

8 oz pine sol
8 oz liquid fabric softener
8 oz household ammonia
8 oz baking soda

mix all together in a gallon container, then fill up with water and mix again. One cup down each drain, and the rest down the toilet.

My apologies to the person who posted this a while back, for fogetting the name, and I give him/her full credit for a really good idea.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #6

Never been an issue for us - when the tank is empty, we add a bit of water and that's it, just to keep some moisture in there. When we're camping and start to "fill" it, I split a small bottle of the blue stuff between the black & the grey tank. Have never had an odor problem.

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #7

I only use chemical in the hottest part of the summer. I full time and spend my summers hosting on the Florida gulf coast. I only have to dump ever two weeks or so and in the very hot weather I can pick up a bit of odor between dumps if no chemical is used. Sometimes I just dump a bit early and still use no chemical. I have a built in flush and I always use that for several minutes during the dump process.

One thing I don't understand is why a lot of people seem to add water to a black tank when they add chemical. The next time you flush you add water. Why add water unnecessarily? I guess if you were going to store the unit for a while after the dump, but since mine is used full time, I just dump and keep using it as normal with or without chemical as described above.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #8

We have been using the GEO Method and have no problems and the sensors even work!
1 cup Laundry Detergent
1 Cup Calgon Liquid Water Softener
I also keep water in the black tank while in use.
Just before leaving a camp ground I dump the black, then the grey, turn on the internal sprayer and rinse out the tank. I have a clear elbow joint on my sewer hose so I can see when the water is running clear. When done I add about 2 gallons of water to the black tank, ice cubes down the toilet and then let that swish around while I drive to the next campground. The ice scrapes the sides of the tank and removes any 'cling - ons" . Might be over kill, but so far no odor or sensor problems.
During winter storage I have the dealer winterize the RV and so I assume there is only a little RV Antifreeze in the tank.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #9

If you go to almost any camping store or Walmart you will find black tank treatment. I like the kind that comes in individual bags that drop in the toilet.

It is my understanding that they help breakdown black tank nasty and keep the odor under control.

I always keep some water and treatment in my tank. Immediately after a tank dump I put a packet in and flush a gallon or two into the tank.

I believe a little sloshing H2O while on the road helps to loosen and dissolve cling-ons off the side of the tank.

Man what a great post while having my morning tea! LOL.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post

One thing I don't understand is why a lot of people seem to add water to a black tank when they add chemical. The next time you flush you add water. Why add water unnecessarily? I guess if you were going to store the unit for a while after the dump, but since mine is used full time, I just dump and keep using it as normal with or without chemical as described above.
Ed, I think adding the water is mainly for storage so anything that may get left behind does not petrify. Also when towing home the sloshing effect of the water may loosen "particulates" that are stuck. At least that`s a theory, not sure how it really works..........
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #11

We aim a hose down the commode when we are dumping tanks until we see clear water, then we'll leave some water in tank & put a deodorant pack in for ride home. I think we may try that ice trick next time.