Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
Site Team

Black Tank Disaster

This is a first for me. I was walking over to the CG office to pick up my new battery cable that I ordered (redoing my SOLAR control center). I am walking along the little draw bridge that crosses the creek and I smell that AWFUL black tank smell and it was REALLY STRONG. As I walked closer to the end of the foot bridge it was terrible.

So I look up and on the fist site there is a humongous 5er with BROWN water flowing off the roof.... over the gutters and out the end spout. I walked around it to inform the owner and there was water in the storage compartments also. He was just going around the back to open the black tank drain. He was just in the process of setting up the 5er and hooked the city water to the BLACK tank flush, and not the city drinking water connection, yes the valve was closed.

I said I was just coming to find you and let you know. He thanked me. I also said that usually when that happens the water comes out of the toilet first... he said it did.

I really feel sorry for this guy, but that smell is going to be everywhere in the 5er. I think he needs to get a service to sanitize the 5er as soon as possible. Can't sell it!

No I did not have my iPhone with me.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #2

That's why, even after all these years, I still double and sometimes triple check that I'm attaching the hose to the correct port!

I'm just not sure you could EVER get that rig clean enough...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #3

That is pretty gross...

My x213 has a black tank flush, but so far I have not been at a dump station that has had both running water for dumping AND a hose with a proper fitting, and we have not stayed anywhere with full hookups, so I have not tried mine out yet.

That being said, to avoid that situation, maybe it would be worthwhile to screw on a plug over the black tank flush to "remind" you what it is not the port you are looking for (unless you are actually doing a black tank flush).
2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer (sold)
paul_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

That's why, even after all these years, I still double and sometimes triple check that I'm attaching the hose to the correct port!

I'm just not sure you could EVER get that rig clean enough...
I am lucky because the city water connection is on the back of the TT, next to the hot water heater and the black tank flush water connection is on the curbside next to the back door. Not saying that in my old age I will not screw up some how, but JAYCO made it a little difficult to screw up. His connections were right next to each other, but clearly marked... if you have your reading glasses on.

No clue as to how he will get rid of that smell and any mold that may form. DW is still cringing.
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 09-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #5

I put hose quick disconnects on the black water flush and the black tank flush hose. I bought the quick disconnect with the shutoff valve, so that I didn't have to run to turn off the water. Works great, and NO way to confuse the connections.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinkow View Post
I put hose quick disconnects on the black water flush and the black tank flush hose. I bought the quick disconnect with the shutoff valve, so that I didn't have to run to turn off the water. Works great, and NO way to confuse the connections.
Smart move!!!!
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 09-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #7

Sad story, earlier this year around Memorial Day I was flushing my black tank at the KOA I was staying at, I closed my black drain for just a minute to put a few extra gallons in to help flush it out a bit... well, I got distracted and in about 5 minutes I heard the dread loud popping sound, followed by gushing water. My black tank had burst open!!! Luckily it was mostly clean, not sure why it didn’t back up the vent, and luckily it the toilet had not overflowed, however, the bowl was about 3/4 full.

$800 later I have a new black tank. The guy at the RV shop said it is common for the tank to rupture before it overflows through the rooftop vent.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
I am lucky because the city water connection is on the back of the TT, next to the hot water heater and the black tank flush water connection is on the curbside next to the back door. Not saying that in my old age I will not screw up some how, but JAYCO made it a little difficult to screw up. His connections were right next to each other, but clearly marked... if you have your reading glasses on.

No clue as to how he will get rid of that smell and any mold that may form. DW is still cringing.
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Yup, mine are inches apart. City hookup on the left, black tank rinse on the right, both marked. I like the QC idea, I might give that a go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Sad story, earlier this year around Memorial Day I was flushing my black tank at the KOA I was staying at, I closed my black drain for just a minute to put a few extra gallons in to help flush it out a bit... well, I got distracted and in about 5 minutes I heard the dread loud popping sound, followed by gushing water. My black tank had burst open!!! Luckily it was mostly clean, not sure why it didn’t back up the vent, and luckily it the toilet had not overflowed, however, the bowl was about 3/4 full.

$800 later I have a new black tank. The guy at the RV shop said it is common for the tank to rupture before it overflows through the rooftop vent.
Every now and again a conversation pops up about using the black tank rinse and flushing tanks. I ALWAYS emphasize the importance of NOT getting distracted when you're flushing the tanks if you're going to close the valve. I do that, and I will straight up stand there looking at the fitting and listening to the water flow, with a timer running on my watch if the the valve is closed. DW has learned not to even talk to me during this process because I will straight up ignore her. And for us married guys, you know how that can get you in serious trouble under normal circumstances!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #9

Flush open drain open. (Wipers on lights on).
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Yup, mine are inches apart. City hookup on the left, black tank rinse on the right, both marked. I like the QC idea, I might give that a go...

Every now and again a conversation pops up about using the black tank rinse and flushing tanks. I ALWAYS emphasize the importance of NOT getting distracted when you're flushing the tanks if you're going to close the valve. I do that, and I will straight up stand there looking at the fitting and listening to the water flow, with a timer running on my watch if the the valve is closed. DW has learned not to even talk to me during this process because I will straight up ignore her. And for us married guys, you know how that can get you in serious trouble under normal circumstances!!

Mine are side by side also....black water flush on the left, city on the right.

You sound a lot like me. I have a set routine that I follow every time we hook up or pack to leave. Everything in its place and done in the same order. If you watched me, you would think I had OCD. But, it's just my way not to get detracted or make a mistake.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Maybe in the future RV's that will have a lot more microcontroller processes built-in, they may have an electric valve on the water line to the black tank that closes when the black tank lever is in the closed position, and may be a 1 minute bypass switch for a little filling.
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 09-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #12

Paint

I've considered painting a big blue circle around the city water connection and another black one around the black tank flush.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
I've considered painting a big blue circle around the city water connection and another black one around the black tank flush.
Go with an ULTRA BRIGHT FLASHING RED LED ring around the black tank flush connector.

No excuse then.
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 09-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #14

Don.

When I saw Black Tank Disaster & Mustang65, guess what I was thinking.
Sorry it happened to anyone. Glad it wasn't to you.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #15

My black water flush and city water connections are also side by side. On the flush cap I put a bright red danger cross on it with fluorescent tape. In my old age it helps me remember!
Old 09-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinkow View Post

I like it! I, too, use the shutoff on the tank flush, but I hadn't (yet ) used the quick disconnects for the flush. Now that's added to my to-do list.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Don.

When I saw Black Tank Disaster & Mustang65, guess what I was thinking.
Sorry it happened to anyone. Glad it wasn't to you.
Thanks,
I am going to take a walk over there to see what he is doing to clean up that mess. This is one clean-up I will be staying clear of. I believe it needs to be done by a professional.
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 09-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #18

Nasty!!! Talk about a mess to clean up!!!

Fortunately my city water and black tank flush are on opposite sides of the trailer and clearly labelled.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:02 PM   #19

My city water connection and black tank flush are on the same side of the coach, but the city water is near the front next to the hot water heater. The black tank flush is near the rear above the out door shower. Both are clearly marked and the flush connection has a warning to open the drain valve prior to turning the water on. I had 3 or 4 different people in line behind me at the dump station tell me I should leave the drain valve for a few minutes to allow the water to rinse the inside of the tank and allow any "debris" to float then open the drain. I did this the last time I dumped, but I was a bit apprehensive about it. I also went inside, checked the tank level gauge, and ran water down the bowl looking inside to see if I could see the level of water in the tank. I couldn't see it clearly, but I ran back out, shut off the water and opened the drain. I was satisfied when I saw clear water running out of the black tank.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #20
Site Team

Black Tank Disaster update.

We can not believe it... the guy slept in the 5er last night. There was only a few towels and throw rugs laying on the ground. He said it was leaking out of the toilet. It had to smell real bad inside. All the windows were closed. It was also running out of the plastic underlay, so that insulation is all smelly and shot. And yes it was brand new 5er.
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR