Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2021, 11:18 AM   #1

Black tank failure

Took a walk with my lovely wife and two dogs. Got back and saw a big “uh oh”. Black tank had fallen down and only held with pvc pipes. This is when I got a glimpse of Jayco “quality” and standards for building units. 3 flimsy aluminum straps held with 1 screw and a washer!
Got some ratchet straps and emptied the tank. But holy crap! Any advice?
Bigweedman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigweedman2 View Post
Took a walk with my lovely wife and two dogs. Got back and saw a big “uh oh”. Black tank had fallen down and only held with pvc pipes. This is when I got a glimpse of Jayco “quality” and standards for building units. 3 flimsy aluminum straps held with 1 screw and a washer!
Got some ratchet straps and emptied the tank. But holy crap! Any advice?

It’s all of the manufacturers. Some bar stock, and threaded rod is what I would suggest.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:39 PM   #3

That's how they are all made. The strapping should be sufficient. I would reattach both sides of those aluminum straps and add a couple more. Sounds like the
'flimsy aluminum straps" didn't fail, but the connection point did.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #4

You’re right! The connection point failed because the cheap straps got drilled through. The other one broke in half. Are you saying shoddy construction should hold? Is my reality wrong?
Old 11-13-2021, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
You’re right! The connection point failed because the cheap straps got drilled through. The other one broke in half. Are you saying shoddy construction should hold? Is my reality wrong?

Yes.
No.

You pick the order.

Mine has the same cheap straps and shoddy construction and it is still attached. I even took a hit from a roadside marker direct to the tank and it stayed up. Broke the strapping too.

Either some tech screwed up the install or you got bad material or something else happened. Regardless, you asked for advice, mine would be to replace the strapping.

That's what I did.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #6

It’s giving me an opportunity to build it better and increase the insulation over the colorplast
Old 11-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #7

Quote:
It’s giving me an opportunity to build it better and increase the insulation over the colorplast
You sound like DIY person so you will do fine with it. Ands that's the way it is with new RVs. The good news is that it will be better than it ever was when your done with it, and you won't have to leave it with a dealer for a long time.

I have had dealer repairs that were no better than factory builds. I eventually did the work myself. If it's more than I can handle, I call a mobile repair service.

... shouldn't have to spend time and money on a new product. And if it fell off at highway speed ... Never mind that's another story.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #8

LUX and some other manufacturers install a sheet of plywood under tanks. Dont know if this helps if the straps fail
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tanks, build quality