Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #1

Black tank flush

Before we left Louisiana I tried to use our black tank flush. Hooked up the camp ground water to the inlet marked "black tank flush", opened the black tank valve, and turned on the water. Nothing happened ! Since this is the first time we have had this feature on a TT what am I doing wrong ? I did not leave the water pressure on very long because I could see nothing draining through the clear connector
on the sewer hose. Any ideas appreciated.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolead View Post
Before we left Louisiana I tried to use our black tank flush. Hooked up the camp ground water to the inlet marked "black tank flush", opened the black tank valve, and turned on the water. Nothing happened ! Since this is the first time we have had this feature on a TT what am I doing wrong ? I did not leave the water pressure on very long because I could see nothing draining through the clear connector
Just used mine for the first time last week, worked great.
  1. Had you already emptied your black tank? What does your black tank gauge show after it was emptied?
  2. When you fired up the flush system, did you hear rushing water as it entered the black tank? Side note: Do NOT use your fresh water hose for this, as you might conceivably get undesirable material into the hose or connectors during this process; it's a health issue. I got an extra garden hose just for this purpose.
  3. If so, you might need to let it run a little in case there's a poo mountain or something it needs to push through. Reminder that the manual says you must leave the black tank drain valve open when using the flush system.
  4. If the tank was mostly empty, you can run a LOT of water before you get near filling the tank. Have your significant other monitor the tank gauge while you do this, too.
Hope these ideas help. I'm no expert, but it shouldn't be all that hard to deal with.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #3

Perhaps your black tank flush is mislabeled. Mine was. My 2016 27DSRL had the "black tank flush" and "city water" labels swapped. Easy to check. Pull the strainer out of the your inlet labeled "black tank flush" as see if it has a little white check valve in it. If so, its your city water line, not the black tank flush line. If you can see the pipes behind it, the black tank flush line will have a black plastic vacuum breaker valve attached.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolead View Post
From your description, you are doing the right thing. If your black tank was empty, and water was flowing into it, you should see water etc. in the clear connector very quickly.

From the sound, could you tell if water was running through your hose when connected to the flush system? If so, you'll have find out where it is going!

You could have a blockage in the black tank that would stop water flow. Shut off all water pressure, your trailer water pump, and open you toilet flush valve. With a flashlight, in MOST trailers you can look down into the bottom of the black tank. If you see water, then you may have a blockage in the black tank or its plumbing. If you see a tower of poo, then that's something you'll have to work on to remove.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote