Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #1

Black tanks

We bought our new north point 382flrb
Since we bought it we have found tons of wipes in both tanks, I know we didn’t put them there dealer charged us a few 100$ to flush them!!
We also noticed that both tanks fill up rather fast like the sensor said it’s full in two to three days! Anyone else has these issues??
One tank also blows back when it’s full seems like they fill too fast..
Jhyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #2

You can pretty much assume the sensors are incorrect. They get screwed up pretty quickly by little bits of solids that cause them to misread. What you should do is look up the capacities of your black tank/tanks and then pour that amount of water into the tank and see if it can handle the full actual volume. You can also get a water flow meter that counts how much volume comes out of your garden hose to help gauge how much you've put down the toilet.

As for the wipes, your best bet is to fill those tanks with water to the full capacity, and open the dump valve and let it flush out. You may have to do this several times.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #3

Your black tanks are listed as 37 gal compared to common singe tank of 50 gal. Not a bad thing just different.

And you're sure they are full? The level sensors, esp. on black tanks are rarely accurate. If your are getting what we call burping, then yeah, they could be full.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:15 PM   #4

I'm wondering why a new unit would have wipes in the holding tank. That's very odd.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:31 PM   #5

My black tank almost always reads full (even when empty).

My last trip was the first time I had "full hook-ups" (sewer inluded). I ran the black tank flush until it was physically full; I saw the water reach the toilet bowl (I had dumped black water, so this was mostly fresh water in the black tank).

With no rush to dump the tank, I let the tank remain full for about 30 minutes. After dumping, my sensor finally read 1/4 full.

My Dometic toilet bowl, holds about a gallon of water. Each flush is about 1/2 gallon on avg (way less for us boys), so I don't worry until around 60 flushes.
coachtcardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #6
CAG

I'm sure that if I bought that new, and the black tank was full of wipes I would not be paying the dealer to flush the tanks. There is something else going on there with the dealer if the tanks had been used previously and I would want to get to the bottom of it. So to speak.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #7

We have a 2020 Jay Feather and our 2nd trip out noticed a smell coming from bathroom. We had only used it for 4 days then stored for winter so when we got to the campground with full hookups I told my wife to flush a lot of water down it each time she used it to flush it out. When she had flushed about ten times the tank showed 3/4 full and the odor was really bad. So thought would use tank flush to clean it, gave my wife a half a cup of Dawn mixed with Borax to help clean it out. When she opened valve to put the mix in the tank it had a ton of pressure built up from the tank flush evidently so it blew all over the place only clear water thank goodness. We had noticed that the toilet seemed to gurgle all the time when flushing. After that incident decided to check stack vent on roof as this is supposed to be a vented system. Well got up on roof and the rain cap on the vent was blown off and broke the tabs that had screws thru them. So decided this may be an issue and ordered new caps Siphon 360's and installed them and since then no smell and the drain process goes so much better. Basically it was so tight it acted like a lid easy fix. Now said all that to let you know the gurgling of the toilet is now gone. Have to let the black tank run about 45 minutes to get all the lights to show empty, but the sensors are always different with use....
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:30 PM   #8

@jhyke. A thing to note on the 382 is your kitchen sink is plumbed to the front black tank and the rear bathroom sinks to the rear black tank. No idea why, they told me due to where the frame rails are, but that can cause the tanks to fill quicker. Super annoying and not sure what, if anything can be done.
Wizard71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard71 View Post
@jhyke. A thing to note on the 382 is your kitchen sink is plumbed to the front black tank and the rear bathroom sinks to the rear black tank. No idea why, they told me due to where the frame rails are, but that can cause the tanks to fill quicker. Super annoying and not sure what, if anything can be done.
It makes you wonder what they are thinking. My sisters Winnebago adventurer has the washing machine plumbed into the black tank. If she knew it she would never have bought it.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:12 AM   #10

We get a bit of sewer gas as well, haven't changed the vent cap yet. Vacuum valve leaked the last time it was dumped so replaced that with a Watts, just need to anchor that in place as it is a lot heavier than the B&B. I hope by adding 3 gal of antifreeze to the tank for sitting all winter that things are soon better next season.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #11

Yes it pops at us when full, the front tank blows sewer at you big you don’t leave toil seat down, I also found out that the galley and the black tank are hooked together!! Last time we buy a Jayco
Old 11-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #12

I'm not doubting what anyone is saying here, and won't comment without seeing a plumbing schematic. But, a sewer connection to a kitchen sink or washing machine is unsanitary.

A check valve hasn't been mentioned, and if there is one my response is "so what". We are keeping our fresh water and sewer water totally separate.

I'll be checking my plumbing schematic ASAP.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
I'm not doubting what anyone is saying here, and won't comment without seeing a plumbing schematic. But, a sewer connection to a kitchen sink or washing machine is unsanitary.

A check valve hasn't been mentioned, and if there is one my response is "so what". We are keeping our fresh water and sewer water totally separate.

I'll be checking my plumbing schematic ASAP.
I must be missing something, aren't houses plumbed to one sewer connection? How is it unsanitary?
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I must be missing something, aren't houses plumbed to one sewer connection? How is it unsanitary?
Yes, you are missing something. I have a septic system in my home. They're different.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
Yes, you are missing something. I have a septic system in my home. They're different.
What's so different that is makes one unsanitary? It's all waste water that eventually flows out your sewer hose.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
What's so different that is makes one unsanitary? It's all waste water that eventually flows out your sewer hose.
I don't think it's unsafe if everything works as planned. The pressure in the black tanks as described above is what I don't like. Those are the kind of things that "can't happen", but they do. The P-Trap wouldn't hold much pressure and then the kitchen sink becomes the black tank vent.

A minor annoyance is filling the black tank sooner.

I don't think we will have a problem with it.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:33 PM   #17

The biggest problem is if you use one of the septic safe deodorizers the soap in the grey water will cause it not to work. And hot water going into the tank will make it worse. Really make the tank stink. I thought they stopped doing that back in the 70s. My Jayco has separate grey and black tanks. I wouldn't buy one that doesn't.
Duramaxsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaxsky View Post
The biggest problem is if you use one of the septic safe deodorizers the soap in the grey water will cause it not to work. And hot water going into the tank will make it worse. Really make the tank stink. I thought they stopped doing that back in the 70s. My Jayco has separate grey and black tanks. I wouldn't buy one that doesn't.
They are making them that way again. My kitchen drains into the black tank.

On the lighter side, if you have one of the clear fittings on your dump line and you see food flowing through, you won't know if someone did the dishes or someone in the family is having digestive issues.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:07 AM   #19

The only thing I can is when they did the final wipe down, they flushed them.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #20

Yes the front black and kitchen sink is connected. The rear black is just toilet, shower and rear sink are separate. I would think it’s very unsanitary.. camp world told us it’s fine but I’m thinking not so much!!