Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #1

Black water routine maintenance??

Ok folks, I'm new to this and am curious as to why the water level indicator continuously shows my Black Water tank at 2/3 full despite having drained it and letting it sit with the valve open for close to an hour now. I know you're not supposed to let it remain open but it doesn't make sense that it's not thoroughly flushing itself out. Can anyone give me some recommendations on how to cure this?

This is at a stationary campsite I'm living at so I don't have the option of driving down the road to loosen everything up. I've been living in it for a week now but have yet to purchase any of the chemical packs that are supposed to break down the toilet paper and bodily waste. Could this be the issue?

Any help is well appreciated,
Michael
MikeS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #2

Get used to it. Paper or some other solid is stuck on the sensor. If you have a flushing sysytem, fill it until the full senson comes on and then drain again. Many times that will flush it on out.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #3

Yup, that black tank gauge is just something that works when your trailer is new. If you flush it really good it might work again for a while.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #4

I think the best method for checking your black tank level is to flush the toilet and look down the hole....much more accurate than the gauges.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #5

Yup - those 'internal' sensors are a poor design! There's been some mods out there with 'external' sensors that seem to work - rather than the float inside the tank there's a sensor that's taped to the outside of the tank and reads the level...kinda like those propane tank sensors. I agree with Tafische - peeking down the hole works best (lol).

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS82 View Post
Ok folks, I'm new to this and am curious as to why the water level indicator continuously shows my Black Water tank at 2/3 full despite having drained it and letting it sit with the valve open for close to an hour now. I know you're not supposed to let it remain open but it doesn't make sense that it's not thoroughly flushing itself out. Can anyone give me some recommendations on how to cure this?

This is at a stationary campsite I'm living at so I don't have the option of driving down the road to loosen everything up. I've been living in it for a week now but have yet to purchase any of the chemical packs that are supposed to break down the toilet paper and bodily waste. Could this be the issue?

Any help is well appreciated,
Michael
Most RV manufacturers use tank monitor systems that are notorious for being inaccurate. Eventually they can never be trusted to be accurate. You should use some chemical packs in the black tank (which sometimes helps-but not always). Using some type of flushing system may help. In any case, always use a lot of water. Some companies make a sensor cleaner. I have tried it but it doesn't work very well either. Usually just have to dump tanks on a regular schedule--every 4 days or something. Fill tank with more water before empty and that sometimes helps.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #7

I use a tank tornado that installs directly into the tank - spins around, and shoots water everywhere. I also use a clear 3" tube so I can see the waste coming out. You would be absolutely amazed at how much junk comes out with that tornado even after I have filled and dumped the black tank a couple of times with clean water. If I have full hookups, I even spend some extra time rinsing between each dump. By doing this, it really cuts down on any smell.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #8

Here is an instructional on how to install a Tank Tornado...

http://users.xplornet.com/~burnetta/...s/Tornado.html

It seems like a very easy and straight forward process.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #9

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I won't fret as it drains very well so I'm confident there's nothing clogging it. It probably is a faulty sensor. The other sensors work fine and are consistent with the levels they represent but, it is, after all, an electronic item.

Now, as for the Tank Tornado... I read that installation article but am still confused on how exactly it works. Is there a nozzle that goes inside the tank and sprays around to remove the debris?? Also, what is the cost on that item?

Thanks again y'all.
2000 Ford F-150 XLT '4x4 Off Road' package - 5.4L / 4-speed automatic w/ 3.55 LSD rear end
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 22FB (Home sweet home!)
MikeS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS82 View Post
Now, as for the Tank Tornado... I read that installation article but am still confused on how exactly it works. Is there a nozzle that goes inside the tank and sprays around to remove the debris?? Also, what is the cost on that item?

Thanks again y'all.
The nozzle inside the tank sprays water under pressure throughout the inside of the tank to loosen and remove debris that is stuck to the walls of the tank, stuff that might not come loose during a standard flush of the tank.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #11

Mike, those tank sensors don't work for long, and I agree with tafische, just look down the hole. I haven't bought a tank tornado yet, but I've been looking into getting one. Right now I just have a cheap "wand" that was bought at the local wally world RV section. Everytime I dump my black tank, just hook it up to the ol garden hose and run it up and down the toilet into the tank...a manual tank tornado. It does seem to help, so I'm probably gonna break down and get the tornado soon.

Fair winds and happy trails...
GKopecky1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #12

Wait a few more camping days. Your grey water sensor might goop up, too. I got a "Page Not Found" on that prior URL, but try this one: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-To...owViewpoints=1 The reviews aren't too hot. I'll stick with the wand down the toi-toi. Well, actually, I just gave mine to a guy in some RV park. Got tired of cleaning it out only to have the sensor gum up in a couple of days. I followed somebody's advice to attack the problem with a flashlight and an eyeball down trap. Keep in mind, these sensors are like our politicians - They sound great but don't perform.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #13

I think the bad reviews on the tank tornado are caused by folks that don't put a pressure regulator on the hose. I have a dedicated regulator I use so I don't mix it with my fresh water one for obvious reasons.

So far so good. It was an easy install. Kind of un-nerving putting a hole in my new tank - but I am very happy I did it. I used a cheap hole saw from Harbor Freight, put some silicone to seal it and the screws and away it went. Only problem I have had is the hose came off last camping trip and I just had to add a little hose clap and I am as good as new. So much easier than hauling a wand inside.

Only thing is - don't forget to blow out the hose when you winterize!