Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #1

Blackstone griddle or BBQ

If you would have only one to carry would you prefer your portable BBQ a la Weber or a grill a la Blackstone ?

If you have a blackstone ... how fast this thing is rusting ?

Let say you are camping for 2/3 months obviously you wont put it in the carrying case everytime so ..

I know the have a steel cover for them but how efficient is the cover to prevent water and rust from forming on the surface ?

is it an hassle to keep clean and rust free, do you have to pamper this little baby ?

If I am buying a headaches Ill keep my good old BBQ !

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #2

I use mine weekly during the camping season and store it in the back of the pickup no cover on the grill but truck bed is covered, i have not experienced any rust whatsoever. I treat it with vegetable oil after every cook, wipe it down and then store it. If i had to choose only one i think i would go BBQ and use a griddle on it when i wanted to use it that way.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbeartroop122 View Post
I use mine weekly during the camping season and store it in the back of the pickup no cover on the grill but truck bed is covered, i have not experienced any rust whatsoever. I treat it with vegetable oil after every cook, wipe it down and then store it. If i had to choose only one i think i would go BBQ and use a griddle on it when i wanted to use it that way.
Thanks for the feedback , I was also considering a griddle for my BBQ :-)

Christmas is a bad thing sometimes, I was perfectly happy with my BBQ until I started shopping and or looking for nothing in particular :-)

Old 12-25-2018, 01:17 PM   #4

I have a Weber Q and I love it. It gets rained on all the time with no problem. For eggs and that sort of thing, I use a 2-handle non-stick griddle that can sit on top of either the Weber or a small two burner stove; I seldom have to wash it, I just wipe it clean and hang it back up inside a cupboard. Something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-655...stick+griddles

The larger Blackstone grills are, however, great for larger groups but I can see rust being a concern. You should probably wipe it with oil after each use, then cover it.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #5

I do put the griddle itself back in the bag when not in use. I think if I leave it out, I would be posting in the "I had something stolen from my campsite" thread. It is oiled and seasoned. Yes, it is a little different than a grill. Yes, it takes different care. Yes, it is worth it.

And, I have both a grill and a griddle.
Attached Thumbnails
Blackstone TailGater.jpg  
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
Site Team

I have been looking at a half griddle for my Weber and have decided it may be to small. I am thinking of just buying a small griddle that will just sit on the existing grill and can be put away easier when done. I like the griddle but use the grill far more.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have been looking at a half griddle for my Weber and have decided it may be to small. I am thinking of just buying a small griddle that will just sit on the existing grill and can be put away easier when done. I like the griddle but use the grill far more.
I used a grill or burners only for years. I quickly transitioned to this grill combo. Our entire breakfast is done on the griddle only. Having the option of either for the other meals has been great. It also turns into a burner setup for large pots. I use my small campfire grate on it for the coffee pot.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
I have a Weber Q and I love it. It gets rained on all the time with no problem. For eggs and that sort of thing, I use a 2-handle non-stick griddle that can sit on top of either the Weber or a small two burner stove; I seldom have to wash it, I just wipe it clean and hang it back up inside a cupboard. Something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-655...stick+griddles

The larger Blackstone grills are, however, great for larger groups but I can see rust being a concern. You should probably wipe it with oil after each use, then cover it.

+1. I have the Weber Q & have a large cast iron griddle that I use on the Weber.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:37 PM   #9

We used to carry the Weber Q and now have a 22" Blackstone which we love. The Weber worked ok but really didn't get the smoked flavor like we do at home and think that is due to lack of bricketts for grease to hit on and burn. Secondly, unless I cleaned it up pretty well after use the whole cargo area smelled like old grease. On the occasions that we grill steaks we just use charcoal in the fire ring.
The Blackstone is great for cooking a variety of foods at the same time. Clean up is easy. We give it a fresh layer of oil when done and do leave it out but under a cover. So far it's always still been there when we come back to the camper-perhaps just lucky?
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
+1. I have the Weber Q & have a large cast iron griddle that I use on the Weber.
+2 - My Weber Q attaches to the trailer low pressure accessory gas outlet. I keep it in the bed of my truck which is covered. The griddle goes into a bag. I also use the folding Weber stand for the grill. Weather permitting, we seldom cook inside.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:56 PM   #11

I have a camp chef 2 burner stove and I have the griddle, grill box and pizza oven. I don’t have any issues with the griddle. Just keep it seasoned and put it away after using it. If I had to choose, I’d go with the griddle. You can do more with it than the grill.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:08 AM   #12

I have and use both a Q and a Blackstone 22" depending on what is on the menu. For me, both have their plusses and minuses.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #13

I was looking at a Blackstone too. Funny thing is I came about it the same way OP did! I was just poking around looking at nothing in particular and thought it looked pretty cool.

I asked around and found a few people that use them at home and don't like them because they take "too much babying". I took that with a grain of salt as any good piece of equipment needs to be maintained. I also actually used one at a fundraiser event and was impressed!

So I was torn. I've been carrying my Weber Q since we started RVing, and I absolutely love it. I thought surely a propane griddle would be a perfect complement. Then I started thinking about it and realized I have an awesome electric griddle that I've carried inside the camper since the beginning. I have 120V plugs in the "porch" area, and a generator in my motorhome, so I can use that griddle wherever I need to.

So I came to the conclusion that while it would be a neat piece to have, I don't need it because I already possess the functionality it would provide. And I certainly don't need another piece of equipment to take care of and maintain.

IMO, if I could choose only one, it would be the grill for sure.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:36 PM   #14

Why limit yourself? If you have the room / space for moving and transporting a Blackstone, consider the Camp Chef 600 Flat Top Grill. Pull the griddle top off and there’s a grill underneath. I bought one 2 years ago instead of the more well-known Blackstone because it seems a bit more refined to me and have zero regrets.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #15
Site Team

I got this Nordic Ware Backsplash griddle today and will give it a try. It fits right over the grill of my Weber grill. I'm looking forward to being able to grill bacon and eggs on it. We are headed out for 5 days in the morning so it will get a workout.

https://www.nordicware.com/catalog/p...plash-griddle/

edit: BTW, I found it in a clearance bin at Walmart for $21.00.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #16

Now I'm torn between all of your suggestion but ...

Ill put that on hold, we have the BBQ and a coleman triton stove , since i dont want to carry more than I need I think ill go with a 2 burner griddle to use on top of my coleman stove .... ill get the best of both world I guess

Thanks to all for your suggestions :-)

Old 12-28-2018, 07:28 AM   #17

I also have the Weber Q and just recently purchased the Blackstone 22 in griddle. I love them both and recently just started carrying the Blackstone on our trips. It is no different than anything else as far as keeping clean. Clean it after each use by pouring water on the hot griddle and cleaning it off, then oiling. Only takes a few minutes and we have not had any problems with rust. The rust comes from lack of use. If you use it every day and clean it and oil it down, no problems with rust. I think I have a problem with the hose connecting the 20 lb bottle to the griddle. Would not work on anything but the small 1 lb bottles, which do not last long. I have tried 3 different tanks so it must be the hose has gotten clogged. Going to get a new hose.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #18

Love my Blackstone 22" griddle, cook almost everything on it, hardly any dishes to do afterwards. We also carry a Webber Smokey Joe charcoal grill for when we do steaks, burgers ext.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:21 AM   #19

I have a Weber Q and a Blackstone and won't do without either. I can always find extra room to take the Blackstone.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I got this Nordic Ware Backsplash griddle today and will give it a try. It fits right over the grill of my Weber grill. I'm looking forward to being able to grill bacon and eggs on it. We are headed out for 5 days in the morning so it will get a workout.

https://www.nordicware.com/catalog/p...plash-griddle/

edit: BTW, I found it in a clearance bin at Walmart for $21.00.
Now, there's something I can get behind. Doesn't take a lot of room, I can use it on my grill or my stove, light weight (aluminum)...

I'm going to have to swing by the WM clearance aisle next time I'm in there!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote