Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

Blackwater sensor

Anyone care to explain the way the black tank sensors operate? Is it a float or tank wall mounted sensor? I noticed after the first week of use (and probably poor operating technique) that it seemed to read full way before I thought that it should. I've since really cleaned out the tank with using a clear extension to monitor and got lots more waste to flush out (after about 30 hot minutes of doing so) even after it initially appeared to have stop draining. The upside is that I probably lost 5 pounds in sweat by doing so. Anyway, it doesn't seem to fill up as quickly now and I wondered if I had a sensor covered/blocked. Also curious as to how the flush jets are positioned if anyone has pics or diagrams.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Site Team

The sensors are easily clogged with paper and other things. Most don't get to obsessed with the black water sensor, you can lose your religion trying to keep them clean.

Just keep water in the tank and don't open it to dump until it is almost full. We know when ours is getting ready to be full without the sensors.

There are better sensors available but it would make to much sense to install them on a new rig?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #3

norty1 - This may be a stupid question, but how do you know it's almost full? Looking into the tank? We try to be quick with the flushes to not allow much odor to escape.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerN View Post
Anyone care to explain the way the black tank sensors operate? Is it a float or tank wall mounted sensor? I noticed after the first week of use (and probably poor operating technique) that it seemed to read full way before I thought that it should. I've since really cleaned out the tank with using a clear extension to monitor and got lots more waste to flush out (after about 30 hot minutes of doing so) even after it initially appeared to have stop draining. The upside is that I probably lost 5 pounds in sweat by doing so. Anyway, it doesn't seem to fill up as quickly now and I wondered if I had a sensor covered/blocked. Also curious as to how the flush jets are positioned if anyone has pics or diagrams.
I had to chuckle when I read your first sentence "the way the black tank sensors operate". They don't operate!

Seriously, these sensors don't work most of the time and when they act like they are working they don't necessarily work correct either. After I dump my sensors still show 1/3 full and after a few hours they read full again. So I don't even worry about them. You can tell the tank is almost full when you flush and you start to see a bubble of air coming out of the tank vs everything just falling into the opening. With mine when I start to see this bubble I have a half dozen or so flushes remaining so if it happens in the evening I'm good until the next morning.

After several cycles of this you will learn to read the bubble even when it is first starting. You will also get a good feel for how long it should be from empty to full depending on how many people are using it. For me by myself I have to dump every 2-2.5 weeks.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #5

For sure looking into the tank is the best solution for us. We were in a panic mode after three days of camping when we first got our trailer. Sensors showed full on the third day just from paper probably floating by. It appears to look high quickly because the tank is not that deep but is wide and the pipe you look into is set in below the top of the tank. Anyhow we can easily go 6 days with the two of us and i just watch to see if it is at the top of the pipe then i know its time to dump. I use a small flashlight when checking and we have a 30 gallon tank.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #6

Daham, you people are lucky!

My 19RD has an elbow under the toilet. No knowing what is downstream of that. Other than the lying-sack-of-[excrement] sensors and monitoring panel.

Arrive: empty. End of day 1: 1/2 full. No, wait that's 2/3 full. What're we gonna do for the next 3 days?!?!?!. After lunch day 2: E light steady and 1/3 light blinks as the button is pressed. 30-odd hours to get a good reading? Sheesh!

Rest of trip: Reasonable reading. After dumping 2/3 full.

Get home flush the BW tank 2X. Finally reads empty again.

Is this anyway to run a railroad?

We're going glamping again next month...

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #7

I think I'll just get a yardstick and put "Empty", "Close", "Closer", and "Uh-Oh" markings on it. Stick it down in the toilet after each use and I've got an answer. Now just where to put it in between...
Old 07-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
norty1 - This may be a stupid question, but how do you know it's almost full? Looking into the tank? We try to be quick with the flushes to not allow much odor to escape.
My wife tells me. We also have a bend in the pipe so there is no looking but she can tell by the sound!.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #9

I can't speak for other models, but my 33RLDS black tank flushing spray nozzle is located on the same side of the tank as the gauge probes. (underbelly is open)You would think that Jayco would install the spray nozzle on the opposite side so it would wash off the probes, but that makes too much sense.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #10

So how much water should be in the black water tank when I start my stay? After I finish getting the site setup, I plan on adding water to the black water.

Is there an optimal amount? Am I being to anal about this?
Old 07-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Don't be too quick with those flushes. Do not skimp on the water here. Be generous. Water is your friend. Using insufficient water can lead to the pyramid building in the tank. You do not want to deal with that.

As far as the odor escaping when you flush DO NOT have the ceiling vent fan running.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #12
Site Team

A couple of gallons for a starter should be enough to keep everything wet.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 07-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #13

On my 3210 there is an automatic flusher built into the side panel. A big sticker says to make sure the black tank drain is always open when running the flusher. I can't help but think that once I'm done dumping and flushing, that closing that drain valve and running some more water through the flusher into the tank would be a good way (easy/lazy way) to preload some water into the tank for the next "duty cycle."

Is that a bad idea? I keep reading about dumping, flushing and then pouring 5 gallons of water into the tank - but that seems a bit tricky and cumbersome if I'm not dumping at a full service rv lot, but instead am at a road-side station with non-potable water as my only source.
goldenroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #14

My sensors also tell me 1/3 when the black tank is empty. One of the last times I dumped, I still had water in the tank that I could see with a flash light. I used a bamboo stick to check the actual level left over and it was about a 1/4 inch. The black tank is pretty shallow but I know the 4 of us don't usually fill in over a weekend so I have learned not to trust the level indicator.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #15
Site Team

Just don't walk off and get distracted. If you run some water in a bucket and time it, you can estimate how long it takes to run 2-3 gallons.

Remember the scene from the movie RV? You don't want that!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 07-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #16

"Shower of Sadness"

My kids LOVE that movie!
goldenroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
So how much water should be in the black water tank when I start my stay? After I finish getting the site setup, I plan on adding water to the black water.

Is there an optimal amount? Am I being to anal about this?
I don't add any water to my black tank after dumping. I'm going to be adding liquid to it several times a day anyway, why just add some for no reason.

Works well for me after 5 years of full time, but YMMV.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 07-19-2015, 05:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenroads View Post
On my 3210 there is an automatic flusher built into the side panel. A big sticker says to make sure the black tank drain is always open when running the flusher. I can't help but think that once I'm done dumping and flushing, that closing that drain valve and running some more water through the flusher into the tank would be a good way (easy/lazy way) to preload some water into the tank for the next "duty cycle."

Is that a bad idea? I keep reading about dumping, flushing and then pouring 5 gallons of water into the tank - but that seems a bit tricky and cumbersome if I'm not dumping at a full service rv lot, but instead am at a road-side station with non-potable water as my only source.
As I posted previously, I don't add any water to my black tank after dumping. Why add water initially when the tank will get plenty of use as the day progresses. Besides, the tank will always have a little water in the bottom that doesn't drain out so it will never be dry.

I do close my dump valve when using the flusher. I time it based on volume flow I measured a few years back. In my case I run the flusher for 4 minutes then pull the handle. Works for me, but make sure you know how much flow you get in a timed period.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:22 AM   #19

After I rinse the black tank and close the valves, I put in some (2-3 oz) of TST Orange and give it a couple of good flushes. That's it. I've found that if you're stingy with the flushes during use, that's when the problems start. So our routine is to be generous when flushing and get the level up good before dumping. Works great for us.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:38 AM   #20

[QUOTE=edatlanta;322816]I had to chuckle when I read your first sentence "the way the black tank sensors operate". They don't operate!
/QUOTE]

I have to disagree with your statement saying "they don't operate" The sensors are mounted to the side of the tank. As the level rise in the tank the sensor's complete the circuit which in turn operates the lights in the monitor panel to. The do operate electrically. At least that is how they are designed to operate. But in the real world they will give many false readings.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote