Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2022, 01:56 AM   #1

Unhappy BMPro controller

How much trouble did anyone have with that BMP controller? The one in our trailer keeps locking up and won't clear a fault code. Then the slideouts don't work, or sometimes anything else. there was no to reset or overide this. It started with the solar controller having a melt down and sending a fault code to the tablet to prevent damage, one technician said. Another one said it was a loose wire to the "node". This is not failsafe technology, and there was nothing in the owners literature. I could even find a quick start guide to that controller so we could know how to reset the tablet and find the homescreen menu. We are not happy campers with this.
Josparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:16 AM   #2

lots of documents on their website...

https://teambmpro.com/products/smart...powered-bmpro/

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:20 AM   #3

Only problems I have had are TPMS bluetooth not staying connected, and slides stopping randomly when holding extend or retract.

I may not have the same BMPro model as you though, post your rv model and you may get better responses.
The BMPro was a concern when we bought the RV, I'm old school, just gimme a switch......
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:42 PM   #4

2022 model year 28.5 RSTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josparkz View Post
How much trouble did anyone have with that BMP controller? The one in our trailer keeps locking up and won't clear a fault code. Then the slideouts don't work, or sometimes anything else. there was no to reset or overide this. It started with the solar controller having a melt down and sending a fault code to the tablet to prevent damage, one technician said. Another one said it was a loose wire to the "node". This is not failsafe technology, and there was nothing in the owners literature. I could even find a quick start guide to that controller so we could know how to reset the tablet and find the homescreen menu. We are not happy campers with this.
This is on a
2022 model year 28.5 RSTS
Old 06-23-2022, 06:39 PM   #5

well, i should have known better expecting the first real trip to go off without a hitch. three days in and i can't maintain a BT connection to jaycommand from inside the rv. now when i touch the pad the controller is saying "you are disconnected" and on the bottom of the page it says to "go to settings". where do you go/what do you do to reconnect? if the AC goes off for some reason I can't control the climate settings in 95 deg weather without BT or functioning controller. I am reluctant to try a reset or turn it off/on in the event the AC shuts off and i can't turn it back on. any suggestions are appreciated since BMPro tech support is gone for the day. thanks.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki318 View Post
well, i should have known better expecting the first real trip to go off without a hitch. three days in and i can't maintain a BT connection to jaycommand from inside the rv. now when i touch the pad the controller is saying "you are disconnected" and on the bottom of the page it says to "go to settings". where do you go/what do you do to reconnect? if the AC goes off for some reason I can't control the climate settings in 95 deg weather without BT or functioning controller. I am reluctant to try a reset or turn it off/on in the event the AC shuts off and i can't turn it back on. any suggestions are appreciated since BMPro tech support is gone for the day. thanks.
Does the tablet/control panel not work?
Old 06-23-2022, 08:57 PM   #7

well miracles of miracles, the controller just now started to respond to commands, and i didn't touch it. i was afraid to.
before it had power, and i could navigate through the pages of the app, exit and open it again, but the individual control pages were not fully lit up and would not allow me to initiate commands. whenever i touched the display a banner at the bottom of the screen popped up and said "you are disconnected". when i checked the wifi and tried to connect the controller it couldn't make the connection. it worked for the first 3 days we were here. sometime yesterday i noticed i could no longer access the system through BT. this afternoon the problem with the controller started. i'm relieved it is running now, and hope it continues at least until i can contact tech support tomorrow. but, WTF!! we have only had possession of this rig for 6 weeks. I spent over an hour on the phone with Insignia tech support 2 days ago because the channel scan wasn't working correctly. they are going to replace the tv. i can't wait to see what happens next. i'v had my fill of issues this trip.
Old 06-23-2022, 11:10 PM   #8

Hmmm.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:14 AM   #9

Quote:
well miracles of miracles, the controller just now started to respond to commands, and i didn't touch it. i was afraid to.
before it had power, and i could navigate through the pages of the app, exit and open it again, but the individual control pages were not fully lit up and would not allow me to initiate commands. whenever i touched the display a banner at the bottom of the screen popped up and said "you are disconnected". when i checked the wifi and tried to connect the controller it couldn't make the connection. it worked for the first 3 days we were here. sometime yesterday i noticed i could no longer access the system through BT. this afternoon the problem with the controller started. i'm relieved it is running now, and hope it continues at least until i can contact tech support tomorrow. but, WTF!! we have only had possession of this rig for 6 weeks. I spent over an hour on the phone with Insignia tech support 2 days ago because the channel scan wasn't working correctly. they are going to replace the tv. i can't wait to see what happens next. i'v had my fill of issues this trip.
The BT connection has nothing to do with the Wi-Fi as it is local and between the wall controller and phone APP. If you step out a little too far from the camper, you will lose BT. The Wi-Fi could easily have been that the Wi-Fi signal was lost at the campground, which happens more often than we like. it sounds like the system is operating correctly. Are you using your Winegard 2.0 to set up connections? After starting the phone APP, go to the right top corner of the screen. If connected via BT, you will see the BT icon. If connected via Wi-Fi, you will see a little "cloud" icon. To the right of that you will see a "gear" icon. You can touch any of those and it will take you to the general settings screen where the first two items are your BT and remote connection(Wi-Fi) status. If BT is not connected, it is your phone more than likely, unless there is truly a BMPRO fault. The remote connection should say logged in, and if Wi-Fi not working, then it is the local Wi-Fi signal.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:21 AM   #10

also, if on WIFI connection only the connection times out after a while on the phone...you can't just keep your app open and expect to stay connected on WIFI only connection in my experience.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:13 PM   #11

Question

Quote:
So, let me get this straight. This is just about running everything from your smartphone, correct? Does the controller on the wall still work?
Thanks.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:43 AM   #12

Quote:
So, let me get this straight. This is just about running everything from your smartphone, correct? Does the controller on the wall still work?
Thanks.
Yes and yes. The APP works very well either via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. It compliments the wall controller. We hook up our 5th wheel using the phone APP, as well as all the other functions, climate, Lighting, starting/stopping generator, furnace etc.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Yes and yes. The APP works very well either via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. It compliments the wall controller. We hook up our 5th wheel using the phone APP, as well as all the other functions, climate, Lighting, starting/stopping generator, furnace etc.
Our whole system was going dead, doing nothing. Dealer said it was a loose wire in the node, and that the node was not damaged by the solar controller that was wired wrong from the factory, overcharging the batteries and ultimately having a melt down.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
The BT connection has nothing to do with the Wi-Fi as it is local and between the wall controller and phone APP. If you step out a little too far from the camper, you will lose BT. The Wi-Fi could easily have been that the Wi-Fi signal was lost at the campground, which happens more often than we like. it sounds like the system is operating correctly. Are you using your Winegard 2.0 to set up connections? After starting the phone APP, go to the right top corner of the screen. If connected via BT, you will see the BT icon. If connected via Wi-Fi, you will see a little "cloud" icon. To the right of that you will see a "gear" icon. You can touch any of those and it will take you to the general settings screen where the first two items are your BT and remote connection(Wi-Fi) status. If BT is not connected, it is your phone more than likely, unless there is truly a BMPRO fault. The remote connection should say logged in, and if Wi-Fi not working, then it is the local Wi-Fi signal.
I understand that the BT and wifi connections are independent of each other. i had been using the BT inside the rig to adjust the AC from bed at night. i also would use it from just outside the RV to test reception. it worked well for 3 days, then the app would no longer connect by BT. i would open BT on my phone, select BMPRO7DI, it would go through the process, connect for a nanosecond and then drop off. i deleted my phone from the controller and tried to re-pair with no luck. later that day, the controller stopped allowing me to check status or make adjustments to anything. the screen was slightly greyed out. luckily, the AC was on and continued to run. i was unable to operate the system for about 6 hrs. i think that was internet related. i could not get the controller to log on. when it came back up, it was connected to wifi. i just don't get how this system could be dependent on a wifi signal. not everywhere you go has wifi. how are you supposed to manage your climate and other settings when you are in remote locations. if you are in the rig, it should only require power to operate. the wifi and BT capabilities are convenience features and are nice if they work. mine have not been reliable. but don't tell me if i don't have wifi i can't monitor the tanks or control the landing gear or thermostat! that's just plain ludicrous!!
Old 06-25-2022, 11:55 AM   #15

Quote:
I understand that the BT and wifi connections are independent of each other. i had been using the BT inside the rig to adjust the AC from bed at night. i also would use it from just outside the RV to test reception. it worked well for 3 days, then the app would no longer connect by BT. i would open BT on my phone, select BMPRO7DI, it would go through the process, connect for a nanosecond and then drop off. i deleted my phone from the controller and tried to re-pair with no luck. later that day, the controller stopped allowing me to check status or make adjustments to anything. the screen was slightly greyed out. luckily, the AC was on and continued to run. i was unable to operate the system for about 6 hrs. i think that was internet related. i could not get the controller to log on. when it came back up, it was connected to wifi. i just don't get how this system could be dependent on a wifi signal. not everywhere you go has wifi. how are you supposed to manage your climate and other settings when you are in remote locations. if you are in the rig, it should only require power to operate. the wifi and BT capabilities are convenience features and are nice if they work. mine have not been reliable. but don't tell me if i don't have wifi i can't monitor the tanks or control the landing gear or thermostat! that's just plain ludicrous!!
I'm not so impressed with this whole Jaycontrol deal. We got our new trailer 3 weeks ago. The first 72 hours the tablet controller alone had 5 malfunctions taking it back to the dealer. Then after they said it was fixed, left it there for 2 weeks while they fixed it. So, to say I haven't learned to appreciate it's finer points is an understatement. They blamed this all on a loose node wire, totally unrelated to the incorrectly wired solar controller that had a melt down. So we will try it again next week and see if it is all squared away. I like the technology, but not when it's broken.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:05 PM   #16

i have a ticket in with BMPro to question them about what happened and how to work around it if it ever happens again. there has to be a mechanical solution should the system fail to operate. the slides can be hand-cranked i think. but how the heck are you supposed to get home if you can't raise the landing gear?
Old 06-25-2022, 12:41 PM   #17

Quote:
i have a ticket in with BMPro to question them about what happened and how to work around it if it ever happens again. there has to be a mechanical solution should the system fail to operate. the slides can be hand-cranked i think. but how the heck are you supposed to get home if you can't raise the landing gear?
I'm not so sure the slides can be hand cranked. I have been looking at some Youtube stuff on that and I think you need to disconnect the motors , push them in by hand, then stick a 2X4 or such in them to block them so they don't go out. Don't know about the landing gear yet, but I think the control in the doghouse still works for them. The technology is great when it works, sucks when it doesn't.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:19 PM   #18

Quote:
I'm not so sure the slides can be hand cranked. I have been looking at some Youtube stuff on that and I think you need to disconnect the motors , push them in by hand, then stick a 2X4 or such in them to block them so they don't go out. Don't know about the landing gear yet, but I think the control in the doghouse still works for them. The technology is great when it works, sucks when it doesn't.

I donít think this is right. My slides came with an attachment for a drill that you can stick into the stop somewhere to manually retract the slides if they controller doesnít work.
sgtkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:55 PM   #19

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtkersh View Post
I don’t think this is right. My slides came with an attachment for a drill that you can stick into the stop somewhere to manually retract the slides if they controller doesn’t work.
I saw that on a Keystone they tried to give me instead of fixing mine. I asked them specifically if that could happen and I didn't really get a good answer. On the Keystone there is a piece in the middle of the top trim where that happens. Mine didn't have that. I'll find sure when I pick it up at the dealer, again. Third times the charm.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:22 PM   #20

Quote:
You should always be able to monitor all the features of the controller through BT, regardless of how remote you are. The BT is local and between the tablet and Phone APP. Wi-Fi, yes, as long as you have a signal for the device to connect. I monitor mine when in town and way from the camper, usually 25+ miles away, in and out of the car.