Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #1

Bolt Coming Through Floor

We had a bolt work its way up through the floor of our 2018 Seneca 37TS.
Had it repaired under warranty in Calgary, Alberta a year ago, now it worked its way through again. This time we had it repaired in Grande Prairie, Alberta. Jayco refused to cover it under warranty as it was repaired before and they told the dealer in Alberta if we didn't want to pay for the repair we would have to return the unit to the dealer that done the repair in Calgary. As a note we live in Fort Nelson, BC its a 12 to 14 hour drive to Calgary and a 6 to 7 hour drive to Grande Prairie, and our closes Jayco Dealer.
Am I wrong to think that it should be Jayco's responsibility to charge the dealer in Calgary for the second repair not to have the dealer in Grande Prairie charge me.
Anyone else have this issue?
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #2

I would contact someone different at Jayco. It's only common sense that if something was repaired under warranty because of their factory mistake in manufacturing and then repaired by a Jayco Dealer it should be covered. What happened to the infamous Jayco Two Year Warranty?
I think a different Jayco Rep will do better for you. If not.........ask for their boss.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:20 PM   #3

I had a bolt work it's way up through the floor on our Jay Flight 23RB. It was still under warranty, but I decided to fix it myself. I made a V cut in the linoleum and completely backed out the bolt. I covered the bold's threads with red Locite and screwed it back in. I then, using glue for linoleum floors and glued the cut portion of the flooring, and then held it down tightly until it held.

My trailer is still under warranty, last part of the 2 year warranty, and another bolt has backed it's way out of the floor. I plan on fixing it also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Had it repaired under warranty in Calgary, Alberta a year ago, now it worked its way through again. This time we had it repaired in Grande Prairie, Alberta. Jayco refused to cover it under warranty as it was repaired before and they told the dealer in Alberta if we didn't want to pay for the repair we would have to return the unit to the dealer that done the repair in Calgary. As a note we live in Fort Nelson, BC its a 12 to 14 hour drive to Calgary and a 6 to 7 hour drive to Grande Prairie, and our closes Jayco Dealer.
Am I wrong to think that it should be Jayco's responsibility to charge the dealer in Calgary for the second repair not to have the dealer in Grande Prairie charge me.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Had it repaired under warranty in Calgary, Alberta a year ago, now it worked its way through again.

Jayco refused to cover it under warranty as it was repaired before and they told the dealer in Alberta
I had this exact same issue. When I called Jayco the story changed. They had no problem covering the bolt head, in fact they replaced the whole linoleum floor do to the fact you could see the cut from the first repair attempt. They had to “deny” the claim (Jayco actually sent me a copy of the email they sent the dealer) in order to request more information. All they wanted to know is why the 2 claims so close in timeframe. Once I explained it to Jayco the work was approved and she actually told me the the manufacture recommends putting nuts on any bolts that work lose like that.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #5

Bolt Coming Through Floor

Well... I also noticed that I have a bolt or screw or something coming up through the floor on our ‘18 Jay Flight 28BHS this weekend while we were camping. This was our 1st trip of this season and only the 7th time we’ve used our TT since we got it in Jan. ‘18. It’s right in the middle of the main living area. Not exactly thrilled about yet another issue. Now I have to figure out if I want to go through the hassle of dealing with another warrantee claim and an unresponsive dealer service department or just fix it myself like @Atlee did. At this point I’m leaning more towards fixing it myself.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6478.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	49904

Name:	IMG_6519.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	49905
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #6

That's definitely a screw (bolt) coming up.

I always thought it was a bolt, until the first one came up. When I fixed it, I found out it was a long Phillips head screw with a self tapping end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
Well... I also noticed that I have a bolt or screw or something coming up through the floor on our ‘18 Jay Flight 28BHS this weekend while we were camping. This was our 1st trip of this season and only the 7th time we’ve used our TT since we got it in Jan. ‘18. It’s right in the middle of the main living area. Not exactly thrilled about yet another issue. Now I have to figure out if I want to go through the hassle of dealing with another warrantee claim and an unresponsive dealer service department or just fix it myself like @Atlee did. At this point I’m leaning more towards fixing it myself.
Attachment 49904
Attachment 49905

Old 07-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #7

Well, I finally got around to tackling the bolt that was coming up through the floor. I cut along the pattern in the vinyl floor and then connected the cuts. Once I got the 4” bolt out using a #3 Phillips screwdriver, I used red loctite and put it back in. I was able to find some special glue at the local HD made specifically for vinyl. Put some glue on the seams and pressed back in place. I did use a hair dryer to help soften the vinyl to make it easier to work with. Another job checked off the list. Didn’t take me but about 10 minutes to do.

Name:	IMG_7319.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	51740

Name:	IMG_7321.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	51741

Name:	IMG_7322.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	51742

Name:	IMG_7323.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	51743

Name:	IMG_7484.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	51744

Cheers! [emoji482]
Old 07-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #8

Did the same thing to mine a little while back [emoji3]

Nice work

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Did the same thing to mine a little while back [emoji3]

Nice work

Thanks Tom!
Old 07-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #10

Nice work, I’ll keep that DIY idea in my back pocket in case I need it one day.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:23 PM   #11

Nicely done, I sure can't see the repair in the picture!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Nice work, I’ll keep that DIY idea in my back pocket in case I need it one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Nicely done, I sure can't see the repair in the picture!

Thank you both! I really have to give a lot of the credit to @Atlee for proving details and pictures of the same repair that was done in their 23RB in a different post a while back. Definitely glad I didn’t bring it back to the dealer!!

Happy Trails!!
Old 07-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #13

FYI, Jayco recommends going under the trailer and putting a nut on the bolt that worked loose. Locktite May hold it but a nut is guaranteed
Old 07-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #14

Had a similar problem with our 2015 Redhawk. Used a utility knife to make small + cuts. Removed bolt. Filled with plastic wood. Counter sunk slightly with drill bit larger than size of bolt head. Reinstalled bolt. Glued linoleum with super glue. Problem hasn't re-occurred. (It's actually a large screw with bolt head)
cobullelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #15

p.s. Sought advice from Camping World (where we purchased Redhawk). CW's advice was take the bolt out and throw it away. That's what they do. I wasn't about to do that!
cobullelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:09 PM   #16

I've had mostly good service from Jayco in regard to warranty. When something didn't make sense my dealer rep would have me appeal directly to Jayco (while they did the same thing). A few times I had to appeal to "Management" but I was always able to resolve the issue.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
Thank you both! I really have to give a lot of the credit to @Atlee for proving details and pictures of the same repair that was done in their 23RB in a different post a while back. Definitely glad I didn’t bring it back to the dealer!!

Happy Trails!!
Thanks for the shout out.

Should I have another one in the future, instead of cutting a V and rolling it back and backing out the screw, before covering it with Loctite and reinserting, I may cut a much larger section by cutting along the line that separates the "boards" in the linoleum. I would hope that type of cut would not show quite as much as the V does.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:22 AM   #18

I did one from below. They go into the frame cross members to hold the floor down. Not sure I'd want to just pull it and toss it. If you have done one then you're experienced for the next one that works it's way up. For Jayco it's better to skip a bolt/nut combo and figure on them staying down for 2 years.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobullelk View Post
p.s. Sought advice from Camping World (where we purchased Redhawk). CW's advice was take the bolt out and throw it away. That's what they do. I wasn't about to do that!
That reply from CW is another reason to never buy any RV from CW. I figure if the freakin' screw wasn't important to hold the floor down, then Jayco wouldn't have wasted their time installing it.

IMO, that bazarre advice from Camping World.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #20

Yes our bolt was pushing up right in front of the refrigerator on our 2016 212q. I took it to a reputable service facility and they said they see it on many different models. They slit the flooring and took it out and re glued the flooring back down. They stated it is an unnecessary bolt so they removed it and plugged the hole.
Back country camper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty