Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2022, 06:18 AM   #1

Boondocking

Hello all! I'd love your feedback. My husband and I will be spending our first time in our Jayco. We are currently boondocking...as eventually we'll be building on the same property.
We are on an acreage in western NC. We are permanently parked and will have to caddy out our black water. People are telling me We can just let gray tank empty onto the ground. We are in bear country. Any thoughts on this?
Suzanne1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:35 AM   #2

Should not be issue on Gray water ,its just dish /shower water
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:38 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1122 View Post
Hello all! I'd love your feedback. My husband and I will be spending our first time in our Jayco. We are currently boondocking...as eventually we'll be building on the same property.
We are on an acreage in western NC. We are permanently parked and will have to caddy out our black water. People are telling me We can just let gray tank empty onto the ground. We are in bear country. Any thoughts on this?
There's a vocal contingent who'll swear you just as well may be clubbing baby seals, but I doubt your gray water is going to tilt the planet off its axis.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:13 AM   #4

We did the same as we built our house many years ago- Just because, I dug a hole about 20 feet away, put a little gravel in, ran a 20 foot PVC pipe to the hole, put plywood and a little dirt over the top, to keep the flys out- When done, filled the hole in. I am in bear country too--
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:17 AM   #5

Sounds like you will be on a well in your country home.. We are in the country too have bears but they have enough food in the woods so for 21 years not a problem. When we have a drought we often throw dishwater out to water the plants and not waste water and help avoid the well getting too low. Water recycling in a form

We compost too sometimes.

Consider running the grey water into a container so you don't make a mud pit in one place. Disperse with the container.

The dry well idea above is great too.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:39 AM   #6

Yes you should be fine it's not waste just mostly soapy water. Instead of having to carry your waste out you might look into something like in the video below. It's certainly not TCEQ approved so check with your local codes but for a "temporarily parked RV" I don't think it's a problem and probably works better than some 20-30 year old septic systems currently in use.

2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:41 AM   #7

It used to be common in rural areas to have a dry well for grey water and a separate septic tank. We had such an arrangement once.. Septic tanks in the day were quite small.

Of course check with your local zoning board.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:48 AM   #8

Depending on the length of stay;
2-3 months, just run a line away from the RV downhill and you should be good. Check for erosion and adjust as necessary. Try as best as possible when using the sinks not to let any food go down.

Longer than 3 months I'd dig one or more holes a few feet wide and few feet deep, fill with gravel 1/2 way, then put in a drainage PVC (one with holes in it) and a dirt sleeve, stick it out the top, gravel the remaining way up, cover with something, put an elbow on and connect to RV in some fashion. Depending on how porous the soil is, make the hole deeper and wider as necessary.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:13 PM   #9

We have a permanent setup in bear country as well. An d deer, turkey, feral cats, racoons, etc, etc.

We often find bear "plops" on our lawn. And of course deer "balls" are everywhere.

I figure if these animals can spread their black water all over, a little grey water isn't so bad.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:59 PM   #10

As long as food scraps are kept to a minimum, and it's your property, it's fine in my book.

I'm also one of those that believes dumping gray water for the next camper to enjoy isn't cool.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:34 AM   #11
Site Team

When we built our home in the Fayette Ridges of PA, we were still living in our original home that was 60 miles away. Like you, I wanted to park my TT on our lot to avoid the costs of lodging but was faced with the same boondocking issues. I was able to work out a deal with a small "bare bones" campground (just FHU a bath house and a playground) that was five miles away from our lot. I was able to keep the TT on a campsite for $50/mo. (the same cost as I was paying to keep it at a self-storage yard back home) and pay $28.00/night for when we occupied it.

Construction started on MLK day in January of 2014. When the workers ended their work day, they went home and didn't return again until the middle of March because of the severe winter we had.

I'm glad I didn't the keep the TT on the lot because construction is messy, to stay the least. Our lot was two acres of trees and just clearing enough of it to build the house created a muddy mess like you wouldn't believe. See the picture below for proof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lot 2014-03-11 Excavation #10.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	84432

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1122 View Post
Though there is probably nothing in the gray tank that would be offensive, there may be food scraps and other attractant smells. You might consider finding a way to dispose of the liquid away from your RV or perhaps a french drain.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote