Jayco RV Owners Forum

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milltown WI
Posts: 135
Border crossing with pets

We are headed to AK with a small dog and are aware that we need some form of health certificate. It sounds like it is time critical to get from lower 48 through Canada and then AK. Whats you experience? I'm sure a lot of you travel through customs with your pets. Whats up?

2016 23rlsw
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
robkelly's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Duxbury
Posts: 4,515
When we crossed last year all that was needed was proof of rabies vaccine and a letter from the vet stating that our dog was in good health. Handed the agent that documentation along with our passports and no questions asked.

Rob & Kelly, Bella & Brady (Miniature Schnauzers)
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 690
the rabies certificate indicating current immunization. The tag on the dog collar won't do. And a passport for each human of course.

I just bring a copy of the dogs last immunizations too. Customs does not care but just in case your pup needs vet care in Canada.

Crossing with your dog is not a big deal. Crossing back to the US is more of a big deal as canned dog food is not allowed.
2012 Honda Ridgeline
2016 195 RB

Both well used. Now up to 170 nights camping and 40,000 miles on the TT since purchase.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Aldergrove British Columbia
Posts: 815
Remember to get prior permission to bring your gun if you have one. My brother who is a lawyer always has clients who try to cross the boarder without mentioning their hand guns. It usually costs them at least 5k before all over. Not judging here just trying to be helpful.
2011 Jay Feather Select 28U
2007 Silverado Crewcab LT 6.0L
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,325
Dogs may enter Canada if they are accompanied by a rabies vaccination certificate.

This is what the CFIA requires for a dog to enter Canada, they are similar to our FDA.

The rabies vaccination certificate must:

be written in English or French;
be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian;
identify the animal (breed, sex, colour, and weight);
state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies;
indicate the date of vaccination;
indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and
specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination).
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
Senior Member
Griswald One's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Brooklin, Ontario
Posts: 471
Dog Food

Coming into Canada is fairly easy... We are a friendly bunch... US Border Patrol rules are unfortunately a little more.... Shall we say, Uptight!

If you will need food for your dog after returning to the US then make sure you have a bag of food that is unopened so they can ensure the contents. They may ask you to dump any opened containers, so be prepared. Reality is even if you buy the food while in Canada, it is probably a product of the US, we make very few brands up here so it will be safe for the border crossing.

Even though US rules are tighter, we cross several times a year with our dog and have never had any issues.

The one nightmare situation some encounter is if you have your dog on a Raw Food diet... That will not survive a return to the US and could result in very heavy fines.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:42 AM   #7
Senior Member
us71na's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: McKean, PA
Posts: 428
We've taken our dog to Canada more than once. Our vet provides us with a print out of all vaccinations that includes a photo of the dog, our address and the age of the dog. We've also used it when we leave the dog in day care places when we travel as well.
2011 Skylark 21FKV
us71na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #8
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milltown WI
Posts: 135
thank you all for your fast informative Information.
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:37 PM   #9
Senior Member
North of 49°'s Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 697
One time several years ago we were camping at Adam Lake Campground in Turtle Mountain Provincial Park in Manitoba, and decided to go see the International Peace Garden. We left Canada, but didn't actually enter the US. Our dearly departed husky was with us, and just stayed the afternoon there. As we came back, we had to go through Canada Customs -- fortunately, we had our passports and dog papers with us, just in case. They checked our credentials and didn't even look in the back seat of the truck, and we didn't volunteer any information. But if they did asked us about him, we had everything necessary.

Geoff & Jill
& Sierra, the little white monster
2013 Ford F-150 XTR SC Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.