Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Corpus Christi
Posts: 9
Boy that sucks...

Went to unplug the extension cord that I used for about a day to cool down the RV, powering a 15K A/C and the Fridge - found this. The female end was not melted, but warm. Obviously the load was too high.

My thoughts were that either:
a) Cord was too long
b) Cord was not rated for 20A
c) a & b
d) Home circuit is inadequate for some reason

What do you think? Unfortunately, I can't recall what the cord was rated for. The tag resembled a CVS receipt so I ripped it off a while back.

__________________

__________________
Camping all my Life
Now in a 2019 WhiteHawk 32BHS
2016 F250 6.7
margareedaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Brunswick
Posts: 246
I would say A, B or C.

When plugging the RV in at home, I always use the 30 amp extension cord right to the house outlet and then used a 30 to 15 dog bone to plug in to the house outlet.

Ironically, the first time we needed the 30 amp extension cord was the first time we went camping in our Hybrid TT and didn't have an extension cord yet. The campground had a shared pedestal for 4 sites and it was a good 50 feet from our site. The campground loaned us an extension cord and then we bought one. Never needed it at a campground after that one trip, but used it at home often.

-Michael
__________________

michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Corpus Christi
Posts: 9
Yeah, so basically you're mitigating the resistance by extending the 30 amp cord as far as you can and reducing the length of your smaller cord?
__________________
Camping all my Life
Now in a 2019 WhiteHawk 32BHS
2016 F250 6.7
margareedaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 2,102
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
My thoughts are "Boy is not to bright....lol", inform yourself and read manuals.
The cord has been to light for the load to pull. Get a proper 30 Amp installation.
Otherwise just run your Fridge or very light loads what a 15 amp or 20 amp breaker can handle with a proper extension cord.
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Dexter Axle Lift 4-9/16" - installed with sub-frame.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 6,646
USA or imported cord? The way they assemble these things make a difference to.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
JohnWedell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Riverhead, NY
Posts: 511
Check the breaker, it’s probably 20 amps. The extention cord is only rated for 14 amps. Get a 20 amp extention cord.
__________________
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch.

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wheatfield, New York
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by margareedaville View Post
Went to unplug the extension cord that I used for about a day to cool down the RV, powering a 15K A/C and the Fridge - found this. The female end was not melted, but warm. Obviously the load was too high.

My thoughts were that either:
a) Cord was too long
b) Cord was not rated for 20A
c) a & b
d) Home circuit is inadequate for some reason

What do you think? Unfortunately, I can't recall what the cord was rated for. The tag resembled a CVS receipt so I ripped it off a while back.

You can look at the cord to see what size wire it is. If it is marked 12ga then it is capable of carrying 20 amps. 14ga and 16ga are smaller.

If your house is like mine, my garage outlets are 15 amp, fed by 14ga wire and are located a long distance from my house panel. My beer fridge wouldn't even run properly and that's important! Wire length is important to reduce voltage drop which can ruin your AC unit. I solved the problem by putting a sub panel in my garage.
__________________
2009 Jayco Jay Feather 17C 130W Solar, 2018 F150 2.7L Eco Boost, 2004 Ford Ranger
Isaacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 4,159
The AC is pulling too much current for that cord. It may be a cheaper made cord as well.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Canton
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
You can look at the cord to see what size wire it is. If it is marked 12ga then it is capable of carrying 20 amps. 14ga and 16ga are smaller.

If your house is like mine, my garage outlets are 15 amp, fed by 14ga wire and are located a long distance from my house panel. My beer fridge wouldn't even run properly and that's important! Wire length is important to reduce voltage drop which can ruin your AC unit. I solved the problem by putting a sub panel in my garage.
Definitely cord not rated for the current. House breaker would only tripped if current was higher than breaker rating or the extension shorted.
Captain D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Las Cruces
Posts: 1,148
It looks like an outlet issue. Many older outlets have loose connections or they have lost their spring tension over the years.

I would definitely remove the outlet and replace it with a new one, making sure the connections are tight.

FWIW, I have had outlets crumble in my hands on removal after being heated like that.
__________________

__________________
2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHOK (sold)
2017 Ford Powerstroke 6.7, Crew, 4x4 (sold)
2018 Toyota Highlander
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.