Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #1

Break in at my campsite thwarted... suspects in custody!

This summer we were sitting in our camper at the table, and we looked out and saw a teenager breaking into our tent. I jumped up and ran out of the camper after him. He jumped in a white mustang that held another teen and sped off. I headed the other way and I was able to write down their licence plate number as they left the park. I was in the camp office giving in the information and I looked over my shoulder and saw the the two teens had headed back into the park for another round. I said "Hey thats them" and it just so happened that the huge guy standing next to me in line was an off duty RCMP officer who had been listening to me give the report. He went running out and at the same time an off duty fire fighter who was supposed to visit us that afternoon pulled up. (yes really) The two off duty rescue heroes, stopped the teens car, hustled them out of it, and made an arrest!
I must have had my angles watching over me that day.. because the right people were in the right place at the exact right moment...
I am very thankful for those in the military, and public service who willingly step up to the challenge even when off duty.
Attached Images

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #2

Were these teens camping at the campground? Did they find anyone else's stuff in their car from campers who weren't at their sites when they were stealing stuff?
It's a shame when stuff like this happens, because camping is typically a nice friendly way to spend some time away without worrying about stuff like this.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #3

Great effort on your part which lead to the arrest. Without your observations and report, the arrest would not have been possible. Yes it was good luck that the off duty RCMP officer was in the right place at the right time and was assisted by the fire fighter but you are the hero.

My guess is the teens were not campers but locals looking for easy pickings. I currently have 32 years in law enforcement and have found that the campgrounds we normally use, mostly state parks, are very safe places with the majority of campers being responsible, upstanding people. I does pay to always be observant and aware of what is going on around you.

In my many years of camping the only thieves I have dealt with were some wild ponies at Assateague Island SP and some crows that got into another camper's left out loaf of bread.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #4

Funny you mention non human thieves. We had chipmunks one time eat an entire Entenman's crumb cake. LOL

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #5

Nice story. Glad to hear that these terrorists (because that is really what they are) got what was coming to them. I hope they got a little roughing up too while they were being detained ;-)

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #6

LadyW,
Thanks for sharing, I love a stories with happy endings!

Jay Lenno used to do a "Headlines" bit that he called "Stupid Criminals", I think we have new candidates.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #7

Lady W to the rescue!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #8

Glad those kids didn't try to hurt you in order to get away. Good job Lady Wendolyn.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #9

Surely those dudes would know the Tent was part of the camper trailer hehe... You Go Girl....
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #10

What I get a laugh at; is after they were chased out of the tent, and left the CG. They decided to come right back. No duh, that they got caught, stupid criminals they are!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
No duh, that they got caught, stupid criminals they are!
Oh yeah, 110%! But then how many intelligent criminals are there?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #12

Thanks.. friends.. Yes the kids were locals. The campground is brand new, in a resort community on the lake.
One thing that happened is that the teens tried to play the card of police harassment on the RCMP officer.
IT turned out that one of the kids dads was a town counsellor, and he threatened charges against the RCMP for assault if the charges were not dropped against his kid.
Fortunately there were lots of witnesses... but it is testimony to the loss of values in our young people that some teens are so arrogant as to try that one.
The park police told us that the day after the incident these teens passed them in there car and made obscene gestures, because at that point they thought they were going to get off.
The park police put extra patrols on our bay all summer, ... after all camping is the place of innocence, safety and honour thy neighbour in our society.. and they want to keep it that way.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #13

They should send them both to jail, put one with BUBBA and the other one with BRUNO. That will teach them. Good job Lady W.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #14

If it's a tent, do you still call it a break-in? Would it be a zip-in, or perhaps a flap-flip-in?

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #15

Dudley Doowright to the rescue Ma'am!!!

The perps must be in the dumbest criminals category! Good to see Daddy wasn't able to get them off.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #16

"IT turned out that one of the kids dads was a town counsellor, and he threatened charges against the RCMP for assault if the charges were not dropped against his kid."

If daddy only knew how he was hurting his son rather than being the hero and saving his little boy from facing charges....sounds like daddy hasn't been a daddy to this kid enough up to now. Sad. Both will pay in the future.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #17

It is good to hear that some low life punks are getting what they deserve. In Az the local druggies and punks use the campgrounds like a shopping center. EVERYTHING has to be locked up.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckworkb View Post
Funny you mention non human thieves. We had chipmunks one time eat an entire Entenman's crumb cake. LOL

THAT is criminal....I love those.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #19

Lady, glad all worked out well and that you are safe. Many have questioned the need for security while camping, I believe this is the type of thing that easily could have turned ugly. Glad you handled it so well and yes, thanks to others who are not afraid to get involved.......happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #20

With so many states allowing concealed carry, especially for travelers, and the reciprocity agreements between states increasing, it's hard to imagine that someone would be willing to risk their life for a cell phone or just a cheap thrill, I guess you really can't fix stupid.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote