Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
New York as well. It's one of the few things this state does that I actually agree with.
Not heard of this in California which surprises me, I would be all for it. Then again I came from the UK where every car every year has to pass the MOT (Ministry of Transport) test and that is very strict. I wish that was around here then some of the junkers I see that scare the living bejesus out of me would not be on the road.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #22

We recently just installed the coiled one, works great.

Square Dance Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Catcher View Post
While on our last trip, we were happily cruising down the freeway. All of the sudden we hear a slight bang and we lurch forward in our seats. I pull off the freeway telling my wife that I think we just blew the little diesel engine in our Jeep Liberty. We manage to get to the exit, I get no check engine lights and we still have power. I safely pull into a parking lot and get out of the jeep and see smoke coming from the axles on our x17z. I quickly look for the breakaway cable and see that its shredded and the part that goes into the switch is long gone. Me being the genius that I am, I managed to find a stick and put that in the switch and limp very carefully, for three miles over to the closest RV shop. Luckily for me they had the replacement and a quick install and we were on our way. What would cause this, I'm new to hybrid/travel trailer and never had one on our old pop up. Secondly could any damage happened, I did notice that the brakes are more grabby now, is there an adjuster somewhere or should I take it to the dealer?

Thanks Sean
Hi Tree-- If they became hot enough to see smoke, you should have them checked-- The shoes may have become heat glazed, and or hot enough in that area to heat up your wheel bearing grease and push through the seal onto your shoes-- Either one could account for the "grabby"
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #24

Recently returned from a short trip and discovered the breakaway cable was broken, most likely a combination of abrasion and rust. Purchased a new coiled cable from Amazon. This should minimize the possibility of abrasion and I think the coating is heavier so it will take more weathering before it rusts.
Bridgeengrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:19 PM   #25

Unhappy Got Skunked!

Several years ago with our old camper I straddled a dead skunk in the middle of my lane. Didn't think much about it until I looked in the mirror and smoke was pouring from the brakes on the camper. Caught the cable on the skunk and yes the brakes worked fine. Nothing like the smell of skunk and burnt brakes!
Old 09-15-2018, 09:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
Several years ago with our old camper I straddled a dead skunk in the middle of my lane. Didn't think much about it until I looked in the mirror and smoke was pouring from the brakes on the camper. Caught the cable on the skunk and yes the brakes worked fine. Nothing like the smell of skunk and burnt brakes!
Straddled one once in my FR-S — 4 inches of clearance for a 5-inch skunk. Not pretty. Knew I should’ve taken the truck!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Dance Camper View Post
We recently just installed the coiled one, works great.
Same here. I was a little concerned at first that the coil’s tension would pull it out of the switch. Over 2k towing since I installed it and nary a problem. Great little device!

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:41 AM   #28

I have never given it much thought. But after reading all this I got me one also. Definitely gets it up out of the way.
[IMG][/IMG]
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #29

It wasn't mentioned here so I wanted to make sure I had the right idea. Shouldn't the breakaway cable be shorter than the safety chains and not obstructed in any way from pulling the pin in the event the trailer disengages from the ball? I've always been afraid of weaving the cable through anything for fear it would hinder the pulling of the pin.
jlawley is offline   Reply With Quote