Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #1

Broken Window

Hello all, I have been reading posts for over a year and have really enjoyed the information everyone shares. My wife and I are on our first camping trip this month in our 2015 Jayco 27 DSRL White Hawk. Have been in Key West for 2 weeks. Yesterday I noticed a shattered window on the roadside rear top. The one that does not go out. It is tempered glass. Does anyone know if I have to buy whole glass and frame or can I buy just the piece of glass and have a glass man install.
Bchbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #2

My broken window incident was 18 months ago. Had our dealer replace the window because the shattered glass was one of the crank-out panes. If I recall correctly the window fix was less than $300 which was less than expected, but the sidewall repair more than made up for that.

If you have a local glassman do the job, you’ll want to make sure he uses automotive tempered glass for safety.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchbum View Post
Hello all, I have been reading posts for over a year and have really enjoyed the information everyone shares. My wife and I are on our first camping trip this month in our 2015 Jayco 27 DSRL White Hawk. Have been in Key West for 2 weeks. Yesterday I noticed a shattered window on the roadside rear top. The one that does not go out. It is tempered glass. Does anyone know if I have to buy whole glass and frame or can I buy just the piece of glass and have a glass man install.
OMG!, I had a nightmare of an experience getting a similiar window repaired/replaced but was mostly the DIY'er in me that caused my nightmare. I have a 2016 White Hawk 27' DSRL too but the window that broke was one of the frameless types that open from the bottom located forward of the emergency exit. It was no problem procuring a new piece of glass as there is a specialized glass shop in out town (Vancouver, WA) that took measurements and had the glass to me in 2 days for about $75. They would NOT install it as it was too small of a job so I tried it my self. Seemed simple, just remove and clean the existing hardware glue it back onto the glass. Problem was the glue. The glass shop gave me the name of a glue I could buy at a local marine repair shop but that came at around $70+ for a container of glue that I only needed a couple of teaspoons of. I could find little to no info online about gluing frameless windows so off i went. My 1st experience was a glue purchased from NAPA that is the same stuff used to seal windshields. After purchasing and thinking about it, windshields sit at a 45degreee angle with a windforce pushing against it as I drove. This window hung vertically and had a wind force coming from the side. After finally gluing the window and allowing to cure indoors during the winter month, all was well until summer came and the higher outdoor temps caused this glue to fail. Luckily I saved the glass before a catastrophic failure. Next I tried Gorilla Glue Epoxy. This held in place and felt strong enough to put my mind at ease. Worked great for about 25miles on the interstate until someone advised me I had an issue, yep...the epoxy bond had failed and the piece of glass was in a million pieces all over I-5. So after procuring another piece of glass, I found a local glass shop that was happy to take my small job for a very reasonable price and had the work completed in 2 days. Should have used them 1st. Frameless windows are a PITA!
Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote