Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #1

Burglarized while away, Facebook to blame?

My cousin and her family were away camping last week for 7 nights. Everyday she posted all their activities on Facebook. I am not on Facebook but my wife and kids are. I always thought it was not a good idea to post things while you’re away from home. I've asked my wife to wait posting our camping adventures until we get back home but to no avail.

Well my cousin’s house was burglarized while they were away. Items like jewelry, a coin collection, silver plated items and electronics were stolen. I strongly suggest that posting daily activities on Facebook is a factor to consider in this burglary as a lot of people knew they were away. I explained to my wife, "not everyone is on the straight and narrow, especially when you have a few hundred "friends."

What say you? I am having quite the disagreement with my DW.

1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #2

Have your wife talk with LEOs or any type of security folks, they'll advise NOT posting your absence on online ANYWHERE.

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #3

Agreed 100%. We are all guilty of advertising when we are away at times. But it is probably a good idea not to post comments about it online.
Anderson WD

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #4

Yeah, I think it’s not a good idea to advertise that you’re away. I monitor Facebook but very rarely post anything. I’m more into “liking” cute kid or pet pics.
We’ve also stopped bringing the 5th to the house to load our gear for a trip. It’s just more advertising we’ll be away.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Anyone riding by can see ours empty spot in the back yard. It's no secret when we are gone.
We do have a extensive network of neighbors and we look out for each other.
Our county police force has a vacation alert feature and they give it extra attention.

So far never had a problem but you are correct about not posting where your are of FB.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Yeah, I think it’s not a good idea to advertise that you’re away. I monitor Facebook but very rarely post anything. I’m more into “liking” cute kid or pet pics.
We’ve also stopped bringing the 5th to the house to load our gear for a trip. It’s just more advertising we’ll be away.
I tossed FB in the garbage about a year ago, best thing Ive ever done. Too much political BS and privacy issues.
in the wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #7

Facebook is a widely read public forum. It's a particulary bad example, but certainly not the only one....
Much of your personal information is readily available.. names and addresses particularly.

Posting your vacation details is roughly equivalent to hanging out a sign that says "Nobody home, burgle at your leisure".

Personally, my profile picture is of my very large dog.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #8

Sounds like we need to have a "Where were you camping last w/e" instead of "Where are you camping this w/e" thread. Neither the DW or I have ever had a FB account. Both our daughters do but in recent years they tell me they spend very little time there anymore.

I like being able to store my camper at the house so I can work on it any time I want but as others have pointed out that also comes with risks. I detailed a short time ago on another thread where I had a young kid just roll up to the house middle of the day, knock on the door and ask me if my trailer was for sale. Clearly they are just driving around and looking for indicators that can be used to tell when you may be away for longer periods of time.

We have good exterior lighting all around the house, a monitored alarm system as well as video cameras above all the exterior doors. I'd like to think that encourages them to look for an easier target. With 7 cats our oldest daughter also swings by daily to check in on them as well. So I try not to worry about it when we are gone, but sometimes you just can't help it.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #9

People post way too much personal information on FB and other online sites...
Old 08-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #10

Agreed, never thought about it, but keeping the TT in the barn has more than one plus. Nobody knows wether it's in the nest or not.

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote