Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #1

Burglarized while away, Facebook to blame?

My cousin and her family were away camping last week for 7 nights. Everyday she posted all their activities on Facebook. I am not on Facebook but my wife and kids are. I always thought it was not a good idea to post things while you’re away from home. I've asked my wife to wait posting our camping adventures until we get back home but to no avail.

Well my cousin’s house was burglarized while they were away. Items like jewelry, a coin collection, silver plated items and electronics were stolen. I strongly suggest that posting daily activities on Facebook is a factor to consider in this burglary as a lot of people knew they were away. I explained to my wife, "not everyone is on the straight and narrow, especially when you have a few hundred "friends."

What say you? I am having quite the disagreement with my DW.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #2

Have your wife talk with LEOs or any type of security folks, they'll advise NOT posting your absence on online ANYWHERE.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
Site Team

Agreed 100%. We are all guilty of advertising when we are away at times. But it is probably a good idea not to post comments about it online.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #4

Yeah, I think it’s not a good idea to advertise that you’re away. I monitor Facebook but very rarely post anything. I’m more into “liking” cute kid or pet pics.
We’ve also stopped bringing the 5th to the house to load our gear for a trip. It’s just more advertising we’ll be away.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Anyone riding by can see ours empty spot in the back yard. It's no secret when we are gone.
We do have a extensive network of neighbors and we look out for each other.
Our county police force has a vacation alert feature and they give it extra attention.

So far never had a problem but you are correct about not posting where your are of FB.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Yeah, I think it’s not a good idea to advertise that you’re away. I monitor Facebook but very rarely post anything. I’m more into “liking” cute kid or pet pics.
We’ve also stopped bringing the 5th to the house to load our gear for a trip. It’s just more advertising we’ll be away.
I tossed FB in the garbage about a year ago, best thing Ive ever done. Too much political BS and privacy issues.
in the wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #7

Facebook is a widely read public forum. It's a particulary bad example, but certainly not the only one....
Much of your personal information is readily available.. names and addresses particularly.

Posting your vacation details is roughly equivalent to hanging out a sign that says "Nobody home, burgle at your leisure".

Personally, my profile picture is of my very large dog.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #8

Sounds like we need to have a "Where were you camping last w/e" instead of "Where are you camping this w/e" thread. Neither the DW or I have ever had a FB account. Both our daughters do but in recent years they tell me they spend very little time there anymore.

I like being able to store my camper at the house so I can work on it any time I want but as others have pointed out that also comes with risks. I detailed a short time ago on another thread where I had a young kid just roll up to the house middle of the day, knock on the door and ask me if my trailer was for sale. Clearly they are just driving around and looking for indicators that can be used to tell when you may be away for longer periods of time.

We have good exterior lighting all around the house, a monitored alarm system as well as video cameras above all the exterior doors. I'd like to think that encourages them to look for an easier target. With 7 cats our oldest daughter also swings by daily to check in on them as well. So I try not to worry about it when we are gone, but sometimes you just can't help it.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #9

People post way too much personal information on FB and other online sites...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #10

Agreed, never thought about it, but keeping the TT in the barn has more than one plus. Nobody knows wether it's in the nest or not.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #11

All of my FB friends are people I actually know. We don’t broadcast our camping activities, just the occasional check-in. Likewise, we don’t tell our neighbors when we’re camping, they just know to watch our house when they see the trailer gone. I also don’t participate in the various “Where are you camping this weekend?” threads for the same reason.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
Everyday she posted all their activities on Facebook.
No, Facebook is not to blame. 'She' is to blame.
We never post when we are out of town. Quick way for people to find out that your house is waiting for visitors.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #13

We always add Facebook posts of our travels. Usually gone for 3+ weeks. Never had a problem. But my Facebook friends are people I know, not random requests. Also our address is not in our information only our city. We live in a small town with trustworthy neighbors and friends who look after our house. I really don't give it much thought.

My background? Retired LEO of 29 years. So I am far from trusting.....
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #14

Same, we normally don't post until we return or the day before. (we missed out on a close friend since childhood who happened to be in the same town for 3 days with us and we didn't know each other was traveling and didn't get a chance to hook up).

But as others have said, when the big truck and RV are missing off the property, it's kind of obvious we're gone.....
HENCE multiple security cameras on the home... (dang neighbor's cat keeps setting it off).
Old 08-10-2018, 06:48 AM   #15

I am on Facebook and NEVER post anything about a camping trip until we get back. I have a neighbor who keeps an eye on the house while we are gone. Unfortunately, the trailer missing from the yard is a dead givaway but have not had a problem.

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:04 AM   #16

Common sense or the less politically correct response. “ DUH “
Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:24 AM   #17
Site Team

I have a FB account, only because the kids can post pictures of the twins. I have only befriended (2) people... my daughter and son. I check it once a month whether I need to or not, or when the kids tell me to check it. DW does not have or want a FB account. I have no use for it. Two things I did when I registered with FB was to use my traveling MagicJack phone number that is linked to nothing, and my GARBAGE email account (used when I need to add my email to a website that I am joining. I only access FB with my old laptop that basically has nothing but my electronics design stuff on it with no contact info.

Or neighbors park their cars on our driveway, while we are away. My security system is a 2 tier system Alerts and then Alarms. The screen doors, gates, outdoor motion sensors are part of my alerts. When they are triggered I get a text alert stating what was activated. The 16 security cameras are part of my exterior/interior system, and can be accessed remotely. All the interior sensors, motion, window sensors, glass break sensors trigger the alarm company and I also get a text when they are triggered.

IE... Wednesday, I got a front screen door open alert, logged into the security DVR and saw a guy hanging a advertisement. Saved a picture of his mug shot. Texted my neighbor, who has his truck on my drive, and asked if he would remove the advertisement next time he checks his mail. "Mission accomplished" was the text response. Later that afternoon, the lawn guys triggered the gate alarm, saw them on the cameras, nice to know that they cut the grass. Yes, there is even a mail box sensor, for when my mail is forwarded, and my neighbor will remove the mail, should a NEW mail person have the route.

No matter what we do to protect our property, there is always a chance that we will get broken in. We have taken the initial step to hopefully keep them from breaking into our house. Maybe, if they see the cameras, and security signs they will move to another easier property. There is not much more that I can or want to do.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
My cousin and her family were away camping last week for 7 nights. Everyday she posted all their activities on Facebook. I am not on Facebook but my wife and kids are. I always thought it was not a good idea to post things while you’re away from home. I've asked my wife to wait posting our camping adventures until we get back home but to no avail.
Answer: FB privacy settings. I put a LOT on Facebook. Very rarely do I post anything at all that's public. Almost everything I post is set to Friends Only, and beyond that I don't allow anything.

We often share pictures of our travels with friends. But ONLY with friends!

Enjoy!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #19
Site Team

For what it is worth:

Limit the audience for your old posts for your Timeline This will revert all your previous posts from "Public" or "Friends of Friends" to just "Friends". But if you've tagged a Friend in one of your posts, their Friends can see that since that is the default setting when tagging someone.

And most people leave their settings to exactly the way it was when they first signed up with little of no knowledge of the issues.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 08-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #20
Site Team

For what it is worth:

Limit the audience for your old posts for your Timeline This will revert all your previous posts from "Public" or "Friends of Friends" to just "Friends". But if you've tagged a Friend in one of your posts, their Friends can see that since that is the default setting when tagging someone.

And most people leave their settings to exactly the way it was when they first signed up with little of no knowledge of the issues.

Don
My Registry

[URL="https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/groups/44-rving+with+solar.html"]RVing with SOLAR