Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2020, 07:37 PM   #1

Business is booming by me

I took a friend out to look at RVs today. Both dealers we hit were in the Philadelphia metro area. One was a Rockwood / Forester / Coachman dealer and the other was a Jayco dealer.

I have to say, not a lot of stock out there to see. Oddly enough, the motorized units seem to really be moving. In the span of 2 days the Jayco dealer went from a bunch of Redhawks and 3 Greyhawks to 0.

People are definitely buying RVs in my area. My other Jayco dealer is down to 5 Redhawks/Greyhawks with many on order. He normally has a great deal more.

W/ the factories being out of commission for months, its going to be a lean summer on the dealer’s lots. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say as units come in, they won’t be sitting long due to the backlog in demand.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:51 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post

W/ the factories being out of commission for months, its going to be a lean summer on the dealer’s lots. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say as units come in, they won’t be sitting long due to the backlog in demand.
How much did the shutdown add to that? Remember, the manufacturers were closed for a few months, so nothing shipped to the dealers and nothing was getting built. Plus, the dealers were closed for a few months too, and recently got a rush of "pent-up" demand. So, maybe the dealers just got 3 months of sales/business in ONE month, while not beinging able to keep restocking their lot, like they do in previous years?

I guess we'll see if this "rush" has legs for the next few months...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:05 PM   #3

I see to opposing forces at work so I'm not sure what the trend will be. There are a lot of people suffering economically which you think would hurt the RV industry. On the other hand you have a lot of people that have canceled long distance vacations where they would travel by air or spend time in crowd places like restaurants, amusement parks and cruise, people that are still looking to vacation. RVing is way to safely enjoy a vacation.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
How much did the shutdown add to that? Remember, the manufacturers were closed for a few months, so nothing shipped to the dealers and nothing was getting built. Plus, the dealers were closed for a few months too, and recently got a rush of "pent-up" demand. So, maybe the dealers just got 3 months of sales/business in ONE month, while not beinging able to keep restocking their lot, like they do in previous years?

I guess we'll see if this "rush" has legs for the next few months...
Dealers were still selling during the shutdown but the manufacturers were not building and delivering new units. Stands to reason there would be a shortage. Prices may go up and good deals shrink due to high demand and low supply.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:11 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Dealers were still selling during the shutdown but the manufacturers were not building and delivering new units. Stands to reason there would be a shortage. Prices may go up and good deals shrink due to high demand and low supply.

Dealers were closed in my state:
Attached Thumbnails
RV1.jpg   RV2.jpg  
Old 06-13-2020, 10:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Dealers were closed in my state:
Dealers in my area were closed but they were still selling on-line with at home delivery. One dealer with approx 13 locations nationwide operated sales, but not service, throughout the shutdown.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:34 AM   #7

When the manufacturers get back to work, if they already aren't, I'm sure there will be inconvenient work standards for workers but the manufacturers will still want pre COVID production numbers. Watch what happens to quality.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:48 AM   #8

The shut down affected lower income workers more than middle income. They were not going to be buying new RVs to begin with. As I drive by a couple dealers here in San Antonio is seems their inventory is down. I've also been asked by two co workers about owning RVs who are considering them as a direct response to Covid 19.

I'm expecting a lot of buyer's remorse this fall as reality sets in for new owners who rushed to buy.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Watch what happens to quality.
Can it get worse?

They were rushed and paid by piece work before. Heck, my rig is a year old, and after EVERY trip (which is usually only a few days) I have to fix, repair or rework crappy installation or design issues... it really gets tiresome.... and, I haven't experienced some of the issues others with the same rig have had.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:51 AM   #10

Here’s my amateur prediction: The small surge of sales will taper off quickly and “new” RVers will take their families on that summer vacation feeling safer than staying in hotels etc. And by this winter you’ll see another surge — barely used RVs for sale on CL and consignment as folks found they served their purpose or it wasn’t their cup of tea and they want to get some money back out if them.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Can it get worse?
It can ALWAYS get worse !!!!

Old 06-26-2020, 01:19 PM   #12

My 2 local dealers are really starting to scratch the barrel w/ inventory. One of the salesman I’ve done a lot of business with told me 90% of their customers since Covid have been first time buyers. He’s never seen anything like this in his career - and the state of his inventory on the lot would seem to lend some truth to it.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:37 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

You should ask him when was the last time he remembers having to shut down for 3 months, during run up and prime time sales period.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #14

Same here in the Las Vegas area. One of the most popular dealers (with good reason, by the way) is out of Class As and Cs. I was thinking if we wanted to sell, which we dont, now is a good time!!
People here seem to be opting for the self contained vacation ability. I just wonder if we will have to bid for sites at some of the cooler destinations with the huge increase in campers on the roads. Or not be able to get in at all. Yikes!!

Happy trails!
Silvernelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #15

Same here as local Jayco dealer having a stellar year. We were in a campground last week on Elroy/Sparta bike trail. Small campground but had 3 young couples with kids there with brand new units camping for the first time plus one retired couple with a Hummingbird camping for the first time. We all helped them get set up etc. As none of their dealers went through the process very well. They all had a ball.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #16

That's why I'm putting 2k worth of lithium and 1140w solar. Boondocking will be the only available spots
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #17

We have been on the road since Mid May....no problems on BLM lands, AZ, NM or Texas, but getting into MN, WI and MI, campgrounds are FULL! I cannot believe the number of trailers out there....and 5th wheels.......families are everywhere...yes...I can see a future in bidding! I mist admit at some private parks they are NOT filling every space but keeping every other space open. The county and city parks...squashing is in.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #18

Good ! I hope my future used super C is out there getting all the bugs out for me! Lol!

Now Someone please build more campgrounds!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #19

One of the dealers in our town, packed it up and moved out. Never has been a Jayco dealer here.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote