Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2019, 08:55 PM   #1

Buy a Jayco, always something to fix

First week. Slide out motor went bad. Two door latches and 1 strut broke
Second week Furrion stereo volume goes all the way up and then all the way down, can,t stop it unless you press the mute button, no blue tooth connection
Third week. Leaks on bathroom sink
Fifth week. Hot water heater turned into a boiler, pressure relief opened up, water was 190 degrees resulting in hot water lines leaking in camper.
Forget calling Jayco, turned in service ticket, still waiting on a call back. I never had these issues with my Forest River.
My camper is a 2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS
Must have been made on Friday 13th
Mgord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:28 PM   #2

I Truly hope you hope you get beyond the issues and start enjoying your new rv!
Everyone here will help you when we can.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:32 PM   #3

Thanks, Going to replace both thermostats tomorrow while I am at the campground. Hope that fixes the problem. Been working on leaks today on most of the hot water hoses, glad I had a PEX crimper.
Mgord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgord View Post
Second week Furrion stereo volume goes all the way up and then all the way down, can,t stop it unless you press the mute button, no blue tooth connection
Fifth week. Hot water heater turned into a boiler, pressure relief opened up, water was 190 degrees resulting in hot water lines leaking in camper.
Forget calling Jayco, turned in service ticket, still waiting on a call back. I never had these issues with my Forest River.
Of course, only part of #1 and #3 belong to Jayco. The others belong to who makes the slide, makes Furrion radio, and makes the water heater.

Of course, it's a Jayco problem, like it would be a Forrest River problem, or Winnebago problem, if Jayco keep putting in a slide mechanism that was problematic or a slide mechanism to light for the task at hand, just because it was cheaper.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:43 AM   #5

Your camper is a 2019 THOR INDUSTRIES Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:16 AM   #6

Good Morning, new member to forum and new Jayco owner. can relate to your post. looking for help here as I try to learn the ropes on my older Jayco. 1998 Jayco designer 5th wheel. trying to find resources. right now struggling to figure out how to lower awning...not sure how to do a general post on this forum...
appreciate any help you can provide.
erblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by erblaine View Post
Hi,
am a new member to Jayco forum and a new owner of a Jayco designer 5th wheel. an older model, 1998. do not know how to post to general forum..trying to figure out how to open and lower awning.
looking for any help available.
thanks

Is it a manual awning or power? Manual you pull it open using a long hook. Power awning opens with press of button located in the control panel.

Sorry to OP for hijack

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Manual you pull it open using a long hook.
....after you unlock it first.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
I sense your disapointment. IMO, you're completely justified in feeling the way you do. It would certainly be interesting if JD Power or Consumer Reports did owner surveys on RV's. They'd have their hands-full--lol!

Regardless of brand, it's just the luck of the draw in terms of quality from one unit to another.

Good luck with everything. Hopefully you'll get all this behind you as soon as possible and finally get around to enjoying your new Pinnacle.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Title of Post: Buy a Jayco, always something to fix
I agree with the title of your post. For me though, I'd have to edit it slightly to read: Buy a trailer, always something to fix.

All trailers are crap. Some are crappier than others. In my opinion, Jayco makes trailers that are slightly less crappy than many others. But still crap.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
Your camper is a 2019 THOR INDUSTRIES Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS.
And that is part of the problem - THOR. We heard rumors that THOR has asked former Jayco management to come back & fix the problems. Well, THOR needs to get their hands out of the RV Industry.

One other thing...instead of the RV industry shutting down during the "winter" months and then pushing out the RVs in the spring, it would be nice if they worked year round and took their time building the units. And watching quality control.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:51 AM   #12

Erblaine, good news is the older Jayco units generally had less problems initially than the newer ones, your issues may be limited to items beginning to wear out. You can post in similar topics or create a new subject. You may also find that doing a search may show your issue has been discussed many times already giving you quick answers.
Welcome, lots of quality help here!
Old 07-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #13

I’ve got a 2018 27bhs, and yes , we’ve had problems too. Leaking window, furrion radio, both repaired/replaced quickly. Now we’ve got a furrion tv with sound and no picture, hopefully this will be taken care of just as fast. While our unit was purchased in Ontario (this model not available in our area), the folks at Coastal Outdoors, Carbonear really looked after us. It makes a big difference, and we patronize them when possible.
Ron3119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
We heard rumors that THOR has asked former Jayco management to come back & fix the problems.
Bontragers(the family) never left. Wilbur retired in December and his brother Darold is still there. He took over as President and CEO when Wilbur retired and now is doing his old job of COO as well. Bertha (mom) still has an office at the plant.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Bontragers(the family) never left. Wilbur retired in December and his brother Darold is still there. He took over as President and CEO when Wilbur retired and now is doing his old job of COO as well. Bertha (mom) still has an office at the plant.
Understand the family never left, however, it's inconceivable that Thor hasn't put pressure on Jayco to maximize profits, even if that means cheapening stuff, such as removing things that used to be standard and either doing without entirely or making them options, or forcing a person to go up a grade to get the same features in a similar TT, or MH.

Another problem that faces Jayco as well as the entire industry is the overheated sales market for RV's. When a company can sell as many units as it can produce, that company will push as many out the door as they possibility can. This causes problems for quality control. If a worker is rushed, he/she can't make sure all screws are screwed in as tightly as possible. Or the screws that hold the floor to the frame below are screwed in as tightly as possible. Nor can they take the time to make sure all plumbing fittings are threaded properly and all the washers are seated properly. They just screw the fittings together and send the unit down the line.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #16

I was told that all RV are going to have issues. Manufacturer cranks them out and relies on dealers to handle warranty issues. Knock on wood. I had not one issue with my 2015 X23B. Holding my breath.
rdcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
And that is part of the problem - THOR. We heard rumors that THOR has asked former Jayco management to come back & fix the problems. Well, THOR needs to get their hands out of the RV Industry.

One other thing...instead of the RV industry shutting down during the "winter" months and then pushing out the RVs in the spring, it would be nice if they worked year round and took their time building the units. And watching quality control.
They don't "shut down" in the winter. They do work all year round. Yes orders increase in the spring when more people are looking to purchase. They also do watch QC if you ever visited the plant you would see that. Yes they do pay in part on piece work, incentive to build more.. BUT they also track warranty issues and do charge back to the "team" if more issues than "normal" show up. RVs are built by people...people who have good and bad days, the QC team that inspects the unit at the end of the line is no different. Want to compare RV's to stick and brick homes? Not unusual to have pages of punch list items even on multi million dollar homes. Stuff happens... RVs are built to be used as a Recreational dwelling, not full time living. They offer great products at a reasonable price, and yes, issues will arise. If you dragged your stick and brick down the road at 70 MPH over bumps and bouncing all over, I dare say you would have scores of issues also. Overall most people are very happy with their RV's and continue to purchase them over and over again. Some people just like to feel like a victim and only grip and complain... guess it makes them feel better.. I don't know

Don't like Jayco...great... good thing is you have choices... don't buy Jayco not an issue. Jayco does have some of the top selling R'vs for years... must be doing something right. If they built it like some want...no one could or would afford it. Want a better product, purchase a Prevost at 2 Million... and... you will still have some issues.

If it makes you feel better to say how you got screwed etc.. go for it...most of us ignore these posts.. It doesn't help anyone, but go for it. Most of us come on here to help each other, gain some insight on mods etc..

Sorry for the rant... 99% of whats on here is positive and helpful to everyone. I hope you get your "issues" taken care of. We camp in ours about 6 months a year and knock on wood in the last 4 years we have had almost zero issues. Even our old Thor Rv which we purchased used, had no issues. Guess were lucky.

Happy Camping

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcox View Post
I was told that all RV are going to have issues. Manufacturer cranks them out and relies on dealers to handle warranty issues. Knock on wood. I had not one issue with my 2015 X23B. Holding my breath.
This is the correct answer..

When you buy an RV, if you go in without any expectations and knowing you'll be fixing all types of stuff, then you won't be surprised when stuff breaks... and if the issues are minor, you're a winner.

Boats and RVs, it's the same situation.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #19

We brought a new 25BH in 2018 so far we have had or have 34 issues and counting everything from a hole in roof membrane to bath room door won't close tight.
So all I can say is Good luck

This is our second new Jayco and an upgrade as our other was pre Thor a 2011 X19H had one small problem with that one
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:02 PM   #20

The Jayco quality control team is a dedicated force of meticulous individuals. But, not all the credit goes to them...let's have a round of applause for the seeing eye dogs that guide them through their tasks!

But really, I would never want to be in the position of having to defend their quality. Neither my wife or I weigh north of 160 (ish), and within the first couple months the beds were sending us to the chiropractor because the wood supports had sagged so much. 1" x 1" boards (sticks) going the length of the bunk? That's not something the QC team is going to disqualify, as that sort of engineering is designed in. "One inch support beams screwed in...CHECK!"

Lines and hoses get routed through the floor through holes that are put in with hammers instead of hole saws. How would the QC team qualify that?

The foam in the Jayco sofa is pretty much shot after a year of occasional use. That's lame. The list is long.

We like our 2017, 26BH, but we're realistic about what it is. Quality built?...not so much. Okay for the money? Sure.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote