Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #1

Exclamation (Buying a Used RV) You have to wonder What???????????

I have been here a few short weeks and I gained so much knowledge about how, what to look for and ask lots of questions. We have been looking to buy a TT for some time but haven't found the right floor plan and then we did, jayco eagle 314BHDS with a new roof. Since than we put the tt on hold due to the asking price since than I have e-mailed owners selling there TT its amazing like brand new ,smells new than you ask price and for us pets or smoked ,than when was the last time you inspected or have someone inspect your roof, Never had maint done WOW all that I have read here is check and clean off 2 times a year or more, check all seams and reseal , all these tt are for sale and none of them has done roof main, even several dealers asked for history on TT all said came in trade and we inspected the TT what????????????????? Come on Jayco dealers its good business to asked, just today a jayco dealer in north Carolina e-mailed me on a 2006 Jayco eagle 314BHDS rated a 7 and out of 10 make offer we did he came back tt inspected everything worked asked about roof just inspected, we asked how are seams and roof ladder seams came back all inspected ,and at $24,995 wow it rated a 7 which is good But make offer we countered with $14,000 which is in line with nada , came back can't help you. Even dealers we e-mailed about maint or what condition of roofs dealers and owners 99% of the time never checked or did anything to the roofs, Makes you Wonder.scratchhead:
buffalobillsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #2

Someone's going to love buying our tt! We have pics of the roof, sides, etc each time we check (and work done), as well as a 2" school binder with all the original documents, warranty work, etc.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I have come to the conclusion that most people buy an RV as a throw-away investment. Looking at dealers when I go to shop for accessories makes me shake my head - obvious the last person to caulk (or wash) the camper was the factory. I have sold my campers on craigslist and the buyers have commented on how bad the market was, how relieved they are to have found someone who has all the documentation, and how well maintained the unit is. The longest it's taken me to sell my used unit is 3 weeks....

Keep shopping, there are other owners like healthi and me out there - you just need to be quick at the draw because other folks looking used are ready to buy when a unit in great shape enters the market. IMHO, you won't find many of these at dealers used lots, either. For all the work I did to my motorhome (cleaning, caulking, Mod's, inspections) I wasn't going to let a dealer steal it from me on trade-in. I listed it under NADA but above wholesale trade, sold in the middle of winter in under 3 weeks....
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #4

You have to wonder What???????????

I agree with above. Some people never do maint repairs on their campers and like you said they are disposable at that stage. Keep looking you will find one. I got mine from my brother he bought it new in 07 and decided a couple of years ago that they where ready to get a motorhome so i got a good deal.
I had a flagstaff that we took good care of that when i put it up for sale the first day it sold. The person that bought it said it was the cleanest well maintained camper iut there.
Be patient and be ready with cash
Good luck
Robert
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #5

It has been my observation that many people take their camper home, park it and do not touch it again until the next trip. Systems are never checked until they set up at the campground. Those same people will complain about things not working and not understanding why. Absolutely zero maintenance. Those are the campers that are high risk purchases. And hard to spot if you don't know what to look for.

I have always bought new for fear I might get a black water tank that was never emptied and was last used 2 years ago. What a thought.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yep,
Working on the whole roof od my 2007 165 Sport.
The only maintenance they did was an A/C seal replacement last year.
There was a small tear from a tree branch and the caulking has some cracks it in.
I removed all the caulking around the bath vent yesterday before I put on a Camco vent cover.
Off to the RV store today to get some Dicor and re-caulk everything else.

My pop-up sold the 1st person that come to look at it.
Garage kept, maintenance items checked, like new condition.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote