Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #21

I was able to get a "local" dealer, 150 miles from home, to basically match the price of RV Direct, saving me a 2,000+ mile round trip. The "MSRP" was listed at around $37,500 and RV Direct's price was a little over $24,000. "Local" dealer priced it at $26,200, after hearing the prices I had received. The $26,200 price was about a 31% discount from "MSRP". The $2,000 difference would have probably been eaten up by the trip and motel and food bills for the trip, so it was a no brainer at that point.

2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #22

As a more mature gentleman I have had the opportunity to read this argument many times in my life. "Buy cheap" vs "Buy local." In the past I have tried to go the "cheap" route and most often been satisfied. When buying cheap it is a given that the local fellow may not be anxious to offer a break on service or repair costs. In essence, you got your savings up front. Now, I am in a position where spending 10% - 25% more for an item in order to receive additional consideration down the line is of more importance to me.
I have also learned that buying local has additional benefits such as keeping a smaller local economy afloat. Allowing people who are neighbors and friends and perhaps members of our church to be employed and pay mortgages and taxes in my community. Hopefully, some of them will visit businesses in town that also depend on their purchases to survive.
I know this may sound strange to folks living in L.A. or Chicago or New York. I used to live in one of those cities when I was young. A person could live right next door to someone for years and never really get to know them.
But living in a smaller rural community has given me a bit of insight, and a sense of concern about the well being of my friends and neighbors. Personally, I would rather go to my grave a few dollars poorer but having done my bit to help my community than with a large estate that I will never enjoy.
Glen

G&BOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #23

You are a smart man Glen. I am loyal to my Jayco dealer with exception of buying two used units off craigslist but they still treated me as if I bought them from them because I was loyal to them in the past and today.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #24

Glen

All things being equal, we prefer to 'buy local' plus we prefer to buy gifts for friends and family from local artists whenever possible.

However, we felt virtually forced to buy our trailer online rather than locally due to the incompetence of the salespeople we encountered locally.

Long stories short:
One salesman was distracted and obviously DID NOT want to waste his time with us because he wanted to be with the couple that was picking up their 'high end' class-A that day.

The other salesman we liked a lot and wanted him to sell us a trailer, but he did not call us back when he said he would.. and when he finally did call (about a week late), the price he quoted us for the trailer was the MSRP! He could have given us that price that when we met with him, not a week later.

We talked to a couple of other salesmen; they weren't as bad as the ones above, but weren't much better.

Frankly, when I called the online company we bought from, I was amazed. They were professional and quoted us an excellent price on the first call. I'm not sure what I expected, but they exceeded my expectations. There was no way I was willing to part with my hard-earned money having to deal with the local jerks!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDusty View Post
First off welcome to the forum.

I would be sure to check with your local dealers about them doing warranty/service work on a unit that they did not sale. I am sure that they will work on it the problem is that you will probably not be very high on there priority list.
I used to work for an RV dealer in the parts dept. I recall a particular service dept. customer who proved to be 'difficult' to put it mildly. The customer purchased her 5th wheel trailer from a different dealer and wanted all the warranty work done at our dealer because we were much closer. Initially the service department devoted significant time & effort in trying to fix the customer's concerns. But eventually her demands became too much and that prompted the owner to establish a 'you want it fixed here, then you have to buy it here' policy. He had a company policy letter drafted and had it presented to her refusing to perform anymore warranty work on her unit. If she wanted repairs done there, it'd cost her the full hourly shop rate. (FWIW, warranty rates paid by manufacturers are usually less than standard shop labor rates.)

There are some people you just cannot please no matter how hard you try, this gal was the poster child. She left in a rage (she was never in a good mood), but the general feeling among everyone that worked at the dealership was good riddance.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #26

Am I to assume, from this thread, that if I purchase a camper in one area, then move to another area, that dealer will treat me like ..well not good? With people moving around the country, especially once retired, I would hope the dealers would not be so short sided. If the local Jayco dealer would not do warranty work, then, I would go direct to Jayco and ask for permission to take my business to an independent RV repair facility.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:27 AM   #27

I was thinking the same exact thing wags999. What about the thousands of customers who buy their camper in one state and for whatever reason move? Or what about folks traveling and break down on the road? I guess they better hope it doesn't happen in the same town as one of these "no buy, no service" dealers. I've read several posts claiming the dealers are independent, which I understand, and agree but has anyone on here personally had a dealer deny them service because the unit wasn't bought from them? A quick search on the web, this doesn't seem to be much of an issue.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #28

Bad AZ Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Glen

All things being equal, we prefer to 'buy local' plus we prefer to buy gifts for friends and family from local artists whenever possible.

However, we felt virtually forced to buy our trailer online rather than locally due to the incompetence of the salespeople we encountered locally.

Long stories short:
One salesman was distracted and obviously DID NOT want to waste his time with us because he wanted to be with the couple that was picking up their 'high end' class-A that day.

The other salesman we liked a lot and wanted him to sell us a trailer, but he did not call us back when he said he would.. and when he finally did call (about a week late), the price he quoted us for the trailer was the MSRP! He could have given us that price that when we met with him, not a week later.

We talked to a couple of other salesmen; they weren't as bad as the ones above, but weren't much better.
So, since I am also from AZ and thinking about buying a Class C, would you mind posting the dealer that you had this bad experience with so I can stay clear of it? Thanks!

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Am I to assume, from this thread, that if I purchase a camper in one area, then move to another area, that dealer will treat me like ..well not good? With people moving around the country, especially once retired, I would hope the dealers would not be so short sided. If the local Jayco dealer would not do warranty work, then, I would go direct to Jayco and ask for permission to take my business to an independent RV repair facility.
There is a huge difference in buying a unit and then moving vs totally skipping your local dealer and then expecting to be treated the same as loyal local customer.

As has been discussed before, RV dealers are not like car dealers when it comes to networking. There is also one RV manufacturer(can't remember specifics right now) who actually mentions to buy locally on their web site.

If you do have major issues getting warranty work JAYCO has worked with many customers and reimbursed them when a non dealer makes the authorized repairs.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmarrin View Post
So, since I am also from AZ and thinking about buying a Class C, would you mind posting the dealer that you had this bad experience with so I can stay clear of it? Thanks!
I don't believe posting the names of those dealers would be helpful to you or anyone else and here's why:

What I posted before was 'Long Story Short.' DW and I encountered several poor salesmen (actually a couple more than that) in about 3 different dealerships. That is not to say every salesperson in every dealership is as bad; it may have been 'bad luck' or 'bad chemistry' between my DW, me, and those specific salespeople.

There have been several people here that have posted the name of online dealers where they bought their units. I could do that, but our purhcase story isn't over yet. After we pick up our trailer in Middlebury, IN later this month (weather permitting ). Then we will have the full story of that dealer, the trailer, the PDI, etc. Until then, all we really have is a good feeling about them and the feeling the rest of the purchase will be just as smooth and professional as the beginning.

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discount, online dealer, price, purchase