Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Sounds like a ramp that should be avoided. Bottom line is that it is our responsibility to drive / tow our rigs safely and with regard to dangerous or difficult road conditions. Like I said, I tow and speak from a position of personal experience. I am not taking the side of the other folks, just saying we have to do what we have to do to keep our passengers and rigs safe. I approach every trip with the reminder that "bad" drivers and distracted drivers are the rule on the roads rather than the exception. I try to tow and select my routes accordingly. Finally, short of an emergency it is our responsibility to maintain a safe [not too slow] speed while towing. We have all experienced RV's traveling at 45 mph on a 70 mph interstate on a busy holiday weekend. If you can't maintain a minimum speed, then stay off that road.
I absolutely agree 100%. We have to watch out, because it's painfully obvious that other drivers couldn't give a crap about the difficulties of towing a trailer. And I do avoid that entrance ramp whenever possible, but there are others (not quite as bad) that cannot be avoided. There are no frontage roads in this area of the state either, so it's not like you could just putz along on the side until a more favorable ramp became available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I have to agree with you on this one...., I've towed through the Dallas area and some of the entrance ramps are "extremely" short, and if traffic won't let you in your forced to the shoulder......, if there is one.

Bob
Luckily, there are pretty good shoulders on most of the ramps I'm dealing with. That one I mentioned is on a bridge, so it's kind of sketchy. I try to avoid it when I can. But driving on the shoulder is no picnic either with all the sloughed off commercial tire tread littering the road!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #22

I can't tell you guys how many accidents happen down here in my neck of the woods with drivers smacking in to the rear ends of dump trucks or semis. I suspect driving too fast or other some distraction as culprits.

Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #23
Site Team

The entrance ramp onto I-70 east from PA-51 south has no merge lane, no yield sign; just a stop sign at I-70. Now, think about an 80,000 pound 18 wheeler pulling out directly into a 55 mph travel lane (that the majority of drivers are running at 65 or higher) from a full stop. Makes our job as RVers seem like a piece of cake performing this same maneuver, but no less dangerous.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #24

Hope everyone is gonna be OK. At least someone is going to get a free camper upgrade out of it.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashighsheriff View Post
Hope everyone is gonna be OK. At least someone is going to get a free camper upgrade out of it.
MI is a no-fault insurance state

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #26

Hope no one was badly hurt. One thing that would help would be a mandatory Driver's Ed program, instead of learning to drive by video game
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #27

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that a cell phone was involved somehow.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this in their state, but in NJ a ton of people are passing at really dangerous speeds on the right side. I'm not talking 70mph passing a 65mph vehicle. I am talking about 90+ mph vehicles passing 65mph vehicles even when the left lane is wide open. Since 95% of the time the cops are set up on the median, these drivers just avoid them by speeding along the right lane, including parts of the highways with heavy merges.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Understand the concern, but its your responsibility to get your rig up to minimum speed as you exit the on ramp and merge into traffic. That doesn't mean ???80??? mph but at least 55. I tow a 35' WH and with my 2500HD I am 55' total length. When I merge I respect that I pose a considerable presence and it is my responsibility to time my entrance to do a safe merge. There is no ?? that traffic on the roadway should make a hole so to speak and or move to the left, but we all know that there are numerous butt heads who will try to make it difficult for you.

Just part of RV'ing.
All of the Interstates and highways I driven on had minimum speed limits of 40-45 mph, not 55. Responsibility on the road is a two way street, and there are times you have to assume that the other drivers on the road will be considerate and watchful, and do their part to keep the roads safe. The person that ran their car into the back of the TT were 100% at fault. How in the heck can you miss seeing something that big merging onto the road?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
All of the Interstates and highways I driven on had minimum speed limits of 40-45 mph, not 55. Responsibility on the road is a two way street, and there are times you have to assume that the other drivers on the road will be considerate and watchful, and do their part to keep the roads safe. The person that ran their car into the back of the TT were 100% at fault. How in the heck can you miss seeing something that big merging onto the road?
My understanding is the driver of the car misjudged the speed of the TV/camper. I do not have the details but it's a 70mph highway so the camper could have been going 55 and the car 75. Both technically legal...

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #30

How does that work if I'm from Tx and get hit in Mi..

Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote