Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
Site Team

Camper accident in MI

I've never seen such an accident and thought I'd pass the story along. It sounds like the camper and TV had just entered the highway and hadn't got up to highway speeds yet when a younger driver didn't judge how slow they were going vs. how fast she was driving. Story linked and a pic included.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...jured-69-crash

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #2

Wow what an accident, that is about the only time i get nervous with an rv when getting on the freeway , especially here in texas its basically a take no prisoners attitude.
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Too bad there isn't a picture showing the TV. I'm curious as to what was pulling the TT.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
Too bad there isn't a picture showing the TV. I'm curious as to what was pulling the TT.
It's hard to see:

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
Old 08-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #5

Looks like a dually
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #6

Looks like an older(80's model) dually judging by what little I can see when I zoom in on the picture on my phone. Judging by the mirrors I am thinking an older F350.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #7

Not to be a hero but does it really matter what kind of TV it was. People need to learn how to drive.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #8

Funny how timing works sometimes, just a couple days ago was a post about increased speed limits in certain states, and the OP was worried they would be rear ended.

If I recall many folks commented that was an unwarranted concern on highway, because non-towing drivers are already aware of slower moving RVs/Truck Trailers...Guess that didn't pertain to the driver of this Saturn.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellys View Post
Wow what an accident, that is about the only time i get nervous with an rv when getting on the freeway , especially here in texas its basically a take no prisoners attitude.

+1, and most of the entrance ramps around me have no entrance lane, they just dump you right into 80 mph traffic, it's quite stressful, and only the tractors seem to want to move, everyone else would just let you hit them before they would move over. I mean, I know the on highway driver has the right of way, but if you can move over, why not do it? ESPECIALLY around here where you know the entrance traffic has no chance to match speed and merge...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #10

I worry about that every time I'm in California because Trailer speed is posted at 55.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:22 AM   #11

We seem to be experiencing a lack of common sense in many of today's drivers. And the car ads on TV that show cars screeching around turns and behaving stupidly, all in the name of speed, seem to encourage drivers on real roads to drive that way, too. JMHO
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Funny how timing works sometimes, just a couple days ago was a post about increased speed limits in certain states, and the OP was worried they would be rear ended.

If I recall many folks commented that was an unwarranted concern on highway, because non-towing drivers are already aware of slower moving RVs/Truck Trailers...Guess that didn't pertain to the driver of this Saturn.

"The unidentified motorist was transported to a hospital. The occupants of the truck towing the trailer were not injured, according to Campbell."
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
We seem to be experiencing a lack of common sense in many of today's drivers. And the car ads on TV that show cars screeching around turns and behaving stupidly, all in the name of speed, seem to encourage drivers on real roads to drive that way, too. JMHO
...and here all this time I thought the problem was being caused by all the "wannabe's" after watching those Russian car crash videos on YouTube.

However, I do agree with your analysis and have observed that in almost all of these commercials. the manufacturers have cleverly escaped the legal ramifications by using disclaimers like "Professional driver - Do not attempt".

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #14

Understand the concern, but its your responsibility to get your rig up to minimum speed as you exit the on ramp and merge into traffic. That doesn't mean ???80??? mph but at least 55. I tow a 35' WH and with my 2500HD I am 55' total length. When I merge I respect that I pose a considerable presence and it is my responsibility to time my entrance to do a safe merge. There is no ?? that traffic on the roadway should make a hole so to speak and or move to the left, but we all know that there are numerous butt heads who will try to make it difficult for you.

Just part of RV'ing.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Understand the concern, but its your responsibility to get your rig up to minimum speed as you exit the on ramp and merge into traffic. That doesn't mean ???80??? mph but at least 55. I tow a 35' WH and with my 2500HD I am 55' total length. When I merge I respect that I pose a considerable presence and it is my responsibility to time my entrance to do a safe merge. There is no ?? that traffic on the roadway should make a hole so to speak and or move to the left, but we all know that there are numerous butt heads who will try to make it difficult for you.

Just part of RV'ing.
Getting to a reasonable merge speed is impossible on most of our entrance ramps. Not just difficult, IMPOSSIBLE. The ramp near my house is a 25 mph curve up until you enter the freeway, until last year, there was no entrance lane, you came off the 25 mph curve, and you were ON the highway. Recently they made the right lane (the one you're entering) wide enough to accommodate a vehicle and get up to speed, but it is not marked as a lane.

And I'm not only talking about towing, I'm talking about empty, I can take that curve faster than any other truck in my neighborhood, and stand on the pedal at the apex and come out onto the freeway STILL 20 mph under the limit. This isn't just the case with the ramp by my house, but with almost every ramp around here.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #16

Interesting discussion, and I suppose it'a all relative. While I hope that the driver of the car is okay, was distracted driving a factor? While it's easy to speculate on the cause, I don't think that the article gave enough information to make that call.

There are lessons to be had here though which we can judge by the pictures.

Notice the proximity of the water heater to the impact. How many of us travel with the propane ON? While it doesn't look like the water heater was impacted, WHAT IF? There could have far worse injuries with a resulting LP fire / explosion.

According to the article the RV had just entered the freeway, however both vehicles are on the shoulder of the road with the car still under the trailer? Was the camper off the road because of speed? Was the driver of the car texting, on the phone, reading, doing her hair (or what I saw recently playing the bongo drums... no kidding)?

What ever the actual cause, I know one thing, I will double check my propane is OFF before I embark on a trip.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
"The unidentified motorist was transported to a hospital. The occupants of the truck towing the trailer were not injured, according to Campbell."
The occupants of that TV were lucky. Could have been even more tragic. Hopefully the other drive will make a full recovery.

I'd bet my camper that everyone involved in this incident considered it a big deal.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Getting to a reasonable merge speed is impossible on most of our entrance ramps. Not just difficult, IMPOSSIBLE. The ramp near my house is a 25 mph curve up until you enter the freeway, until last year, there was no entrance lane, you came off the 25 mph curve, and you were ON the highway. Recently they made the right lane (the one you're entering) wide enough to accommodate a vehicle and get up to speed, but it is not marked as a lane.

And I'm not only talking about towing, I'm talking about empty, I can take that curve faster than any other truck in my neighborhood, and stand on the pedal at the apex and come out onto the freeway STILL 20 mph under the limit. This isn't just the case with the ramp by my house, but with almost every ramp around here.

Sounds like a ramp that should be avoided. Bottom line is that it is our responsibility to drive / tow our rigs safely and with regard to dangerous or difficult road conditions. Like I said, I tow and speak from a position of personal experience. I am not taking the side of the other folks, just saying we have to do what we have to do to keep our passengers and rigs safe. I approach every trip with the reminder that "bad" drivers and distracted drivers are the rule on the roads rather than the exception. I try to tow and select my routes accordingly. Finally, short of an emergency it is our responsibility to maintain a safe [not too slow] speed while towing. We have all experienced RV's traveling at 45 mph on a 70 mph interstate on a busy holiday weekend. If you can't maintain a minimum speed, then stay off that road.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post

According to the article the RV had just entered the freeway, however both vehicles are on the shoulder of the road with the car still under the trailer? Was the camper off the road because of speed? Was the driver of the car texting, on the phone, reading, doing her hair (or what I saw recently playing the bongo drums... no kidding)?

What ever the actual cause, I know one thing, I will double check my propane is OFF before I embark on a trip.
Her Grandmother was posting on FB getting quite mad stating her grand daughter was not texting and that they ended up on the side of the road after the accident when the TV pulled over and the car was wedged to the camper had no choice but to follow. I live very close to this ramp and if people don't move over you can't get up to speed and would be forced to slow down to enter the pocket of space available.

I also believe in MI that in a rear end collision it's always the fault of the car behind.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
Old 08-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Getting to a reasonable merge speed is impossible on most of our entrance ramps. Not just difficult, IMPOSSIBLE.....snip
I have to agree with you on this one...., I've towed through the Dallas area and some of the entrance ramps are "extremely" short, and if traffic won't let you in your forced to the shoulder......, if there is one.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote