Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2021, 09:02 PM   #1

campground etiquette

Has anyone else noticed an extreme decline in campground "courtesy/behavior" this summer compared to a few years ago???
garyg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:22 PM   #2

With all of the newbes, its all about 'ME'
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:24 PM   #3

Yes, we've noticed!
Lot's of people, both kids and adults, wandering through our campsite, and lots of off leash dogs this year. I've been thinking I'm getting older and becoming more of a curmudgeon, but other people are having the same reaction.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:26 PM   #4
Site Team

A book on etiquette should be included with every RV purchase. We've been lucky so far, since the NYS Park Police patrol the state parks we frequent, and the owner of one of the area private campgrounds WILL evict anyone that doesn't follow his guidelines. I've seen it happen.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:29 PM   #5
Site Team

I would definitely have to agree that things are different now than they have been in the past. It was probably worse last year than this one, but still noticeable.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:33 PM   #6
CAG

I have not noticed any big change but there are some “mistakes” that polite corrections can be suggested. I have found that most are accepted well.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:28 PM   #7

Aggressive dogs because of no socialization back home. Tunce greets everyone and other dogs but now we have to keep our distance.
This is not my kid and she treats all of them as family
Attached Thumbnails
EDD1FAE3-CF6A-4872-B57F-B1529DCDB8A4.jpeg  
Old 07-14-2021, 12:13 AM   #8

A little, but not terrible. My gf and her DD are new to camping, so I'm trying to teach them camping etiquette.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:58 AM   #9

I've dealt with it. One example our neighbors drained their blow up pool an we ended up with a small pond by our entry steps.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:32 AM   #10

It has happened to me and I saw it at two different sites this weekend, people parking their vehicles on the site next to them or across from their sites, or on the edge of the site onto the campground road. so parking etiquette and respect for others campsites being ignored.
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:06 AM   #11

This spring, state park in Michigan, next to tent camping family, 3 small kids & one barking dog on a too long leash. First night one kid literally screams most of the night. Second day dog poops 2' from our 5er. I pick it up. Not much bothers me more than pet owners that do not pick up after them. 3rd day, more poop in same spot. Owner was there, I asked him to pick up his dog's second pile. He didn't have anything to pick it up with, but did find a grocery bag. 4th evening they all decide to take a bike ride at 10 pm for 30 minutes, kids loud as usual. I have older kids, I get it to a point, and I have a dog, and evidently way more respect for other campers
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:00 AM   #12

Yeah, I've noticed. But we keep to ourselves. Rarely do I engage in conversation unless spoken to first. Most of the time, it's just "Hi, Bye" and that's it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
With all of the newbes, its all about 'ME'
X2

I've noticed many people driving the wrong way on the one way road if their site is close to the loop exit. Guess it's too far to go 'all the way around'.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
A book on etiquette should be included with every RV purchase. We've been lucky so far, since the NYS Park Police patrol the state parks we frequent, and the owner of one of the area private campgrounds WILL evict anyone that doesn't follow his guidelines. I've seen it happen.
The etiquette guide/CG rules needs to be handed out to them when they check in, and someone needs to take a few minutes to go over it.

That said we also have been fortunate. The places we camp are much the same as you. The private CG we go to the most is pretty lax on rules, so long as people are respectful to others. He's told some good stories about campers he had to kick out and a couple of times when the local sheriff's deputy was brought it. This helps keep the CG reputation in the right direction.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #15

It's unclear to me if things have gotten worse or just busier. That things are busier is factual and data-driven. There are more people camping and that will always amplify.

I don't mind the occasional dog off a leash. Stuff happens. No biggie.

My biggest gripes are people who cut across campsites. Usually, these are kids, but sometimes adults. It's an exercise of awareness and consideration that many people fail at.

Dogs left behind. I've found that there are two kinds of people: those who have dogs that never bark and those who sit at campgrounds listening to those silent dogs barking while the owners are away. Dogs, if nothing else, are inconvenient. We own a dog and I love dogs. But, camping with dogs means camping with some degree of inconvenience. Many trails don't allow dogs. Many attractions don't allow dogs. For many reasons, your preferred daily activity may not be dog-friendly. Someone has to own the inconvenience of dog ownership. Either the owner bears this inconvenience and plans are changed/unfulfilled OR the owners visit this inconvenience to other campers so that they can enjoy their plans at the expense of others having to listen to their dogs bark. Too many do the latter. If you have dogs and leave your campsite, your dogs go with you. If you cannot take your dogs on your outings, leave your dogs at home (maybe board them at a kennel).

Music is hit and miss. Admittedly, it can be hard to judge just how far a small bluetooth speaker can carry. So, people who play music too loud aren't always nefarious jerks. Once, we were across from a kid who was practicing his trumpet for hours a day. Now that was rough. Trumpets are loud. Zero awareness that this might not be super awesome for others to listen to. No, I didn't say/do anything about it.

I've been lucky with generators and haven't had anyone abuse the hours and such. Like with barking dogs, generator owners are WAY more forgiving about the silent, "can't even hear it" nature of the generators, though. Spoiler alert: your silent generator isn't. Only once, was there an egregious violator of generator noise and before I could even get my boots on, there were about 3 other campers telling the guy to shut it down ... his generator sounded like someone jackhammering concrete and it was 10 PM.

But, I don't think these things are getting worse. There are just more people. If 5% of the campers are prone to some sort of etiquette offense and the camper population doubles ... then the offenses will double. Things didn't get worse, just busier.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:29 AM   #16

We’ve noticed it the last couple of years and definitely more the last year….kids walking thru my site is a pet peeve, I say something because more times than not my dog is on his 10ft lead and they almost hit him with their bikes….I politely ask the kid to go around and then get stares from the parents (who are in the spot behind me and heard me say it) of the kid until I or they leave. Oh well…. I have tough skin….

As a kid, I was taught to walk the long way around or ask at the very least, and if I was told no, then I don’t go thru. If I was caught violating this my parents would “tan my hide”, and “allow” me to sit at our campsite for several hours that day.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #17

I don't know if it has gotten any worse, or as we get older we just notice it more. The CGs we go to usually are really good. We very rarely ever go to a private CG, When we do they are always noisy, and people always running through sites.

My top peeves; inconsiderate, noise, parking, and aggressive dogs, maybe one more, Not cleaning up after themselves.

My favorite saying for inconsiderate people; " They are President and CEO of their local Me First Society". It is all about me and lets not think of how our actions affect others.

Dogs bother me the most. We always have a dog (currently a Red Healer), always very well trained, She is getting old now, cannot do long hikes anymore, This year she only gets to hike the CG loops. We have had many dogs come out at us over the years. Some aggressive and some not.

Late last October on a Thursday evening (schools were closed), we had a very aggressive dog that came out running and attacked our dog. It was a full on dog fight (no injuries to our dog). I was loud telling owner to get their dog under control, as I was trying to separate them. The guy sends out his young kid (7ish I would guess) eventually the guy came out. The incident was close to the campground host site. I don't know if they saw/heard it or not, or even if they mentioned to a Park Ranger. However, I mentioned it to the Park Manager that afternoon when he stopped by our site (signing eagle scout paperwork for our son). Early the next morning I noticed they were gone. Not sure if they were kicked out or had already planned to leave very early on a Friday morning. This park will warn and kick people out for rule violations.

Again this past week, we had a similar dog issue, but the dog was way more friendly and obedient. It just moseyed on over (I thick it was also an old dog). I got between the dogs quickly and kept telling him to go back home. Only person I saw 10 year old in campsite, who retrieved the dog. I was polite and advised him of the park's leash laws. Mom popped up her head from the partially open PU bunk window and told me to mind my own business. I advised her I was. She was not happy!

We tend to try to setup on around the outer fringes of the Park, so people cutting through usually is not an issue.

I do like to see the kids running around, having fun, going on long hikes, sitting around the campfire and so forth. Parents just need to teach/enforce some etiquette, however they are often at fault too

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I don't know if it has gotten any worse, or as we get older we just notice it more. The CGs we go to usually are really good. We very rarely ever go to a private CG, When we do they are always noisy, and people always running through sites.

My top peeves; inconsiderate, noise, parking, and aggressive dogs, maybe one more, Not cleaning up after themselves.

My favorite saying for inconsiderate people; " They are President and CEO of their local Me First Society". It is all about me and lets not think of how our actions affect others.

Dogs bother me the most. We always have a dog (currently a Red Healer), always very well trained, She is getting old now, cannot do long hikes anymore, This year she only gets to hike the CG loops. We have had many dogs come out at us over the years. Some aggressive and some not.

Late last October on a Thursday evening (schools were closed), we had a very aggressive dog that came out running and attacked our dog. It was a full on dog fight (no injuries to our dog). I was loud telling owner to get their dog under control, as I was trying to separate them. The guy sends out his young kid (7ish I would guess) eventually the guy came out. The incident was close to the campground host site. I don't know if they saw/heard it or not, or even if they mentioned to a Park Ranger. However, I mentioned it to the Park Manager that afternoon when he stopped by our site (signing eagle scout paperwork for our son). Early the next morning I noticed they were gone. Not sure if they were kicked out or had already planned to leave very early on a Friday morning. This park will warn and kick people out for rule violations.

Again this past week, we had a similar dog issue, but the dog was way more friendly and obedient. It just moseyed on over (I thick it was also an old dog). I got between the dogs quickly and kept telling him to go back home. Only person I saw 10 year old in campsite, who retrieved the dog. I was polite and advised him of the park's leash laws. Mom popped up her head from the partially open PU bunk window and told me to mind my own business. I advised her I was. She was not happy!

We tend to try to setup on around the outer fringes of the Park, so people cutting through usually is not an issue.

I do like to see the kids running around, having fun, going on long hikes, sitting around the campfire and so forth. Parents just need to teach/enforce some etiquette, however they are often at fault too

I love dogs myself and tolerate them for the most part.

Two summers ago, we went camping and the site across from us set up a total perimeter around their site because of their aggressive dog. The yellow "CAUTION" tape set up with road cones and everything. My opinion is, if you have to set up a perimeter to warn people about your dog, maybe you shouldn't take your dog camping.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #19

I'm pretty sure our parents said the same thing about us.

Teachable moments.
Maybe also a good topic for a Sticky Post here and on other RV websites.
Facebook, etc.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post

Bear Spray could be your friend when encountering an unfriendly dog. ~CA