Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #21

We will stay close to home at least for this year. New TT so I want to make sure we have our routine down and get all the bugs worked out. Plus with our busy lives and gas prices what they are it will just be better all around if we stay close by. It also helps that MO has great state parks to stay at.
4x4 6.0l v8
GBandPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #22

This is interesting. I live in Albuquerque. Here in NM I can drive a couple of hours and be in the high mountains (8000+ feet) or very interesting desert places as low as 4000' down south.

I do have some beloved boondocking places in the Hemez - these are high mountain country and are around 1.5 hours away (much of that down slow dirt roads). I also camp down at Elephant Butte lake a couple times a year - again about 2.5 hours away.

Within 30 minutes - no, I don't have any. I am aware of some campgrounds, even drove through a couple of them, but honestly - if it's that close I'll build a fire in the back yard and call it camping!

Then again, I boondock most of the time, and that is what I love....different desires are what make the world a great place to be!

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #23

Everybody has a different idea of what camping is. We need to travel to feel like we are away from home. We have two very nice state camprounds about 20 minnutes from the house, we can't imagine loading up everything just to move it a short distance. In our minds a camping spot is somewhere you go where you would never consider going back home if the going got too bad, someplace you had to use your skills to make do. Once in northern MN we go rained out in a tent, 3.5 hours from home, couldn't endure any more, no more rain combatting skills to use. Threw the whole campsite in the back of the truck in about 10 minnutes and were in a hole in the wall bar for breakfast (self generated electricity, no power poles here). Best camping trip ever. This, of course is before kids.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #24

Dawn and I usually camp at least a couple of hours from home. The purpose being that we tie our two favorite hobbies together -- camping and mountain biking. While we live near 5 parks in which we mountain bike, we like to travel a distance to visit other trail systems. And there is nothing finer that enjoying camping with an outdoor fire after a great day on the trails at those parks. Besides, who wants to drive 2 hours to ride really hard and then have to drive home all tired. It is fun to sit back, relax, have a brew and enjoy the fire with friends after a nice ride.

Joe
Old 04-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #25

We usually stay close to home, somewhere within a 150 mile area. Missouri has some very well maintained state parks and by making reservations online you can search the park you want to stay in and be able to see a pic of each individual campsite before making a site choice.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakara View Post
This is interesting. I live in Albuquerque. Here in NM I can drive a couple of hours and be in the high mountains (8000+ feet) or very interesting desert places as low as 4000' down south.

I do have some beloved boondocking places in the Hemez - these are high mountain country and are around 1.5 hours away (much of that down slow dirt roads). I also camp down at Elephant Butte lake a couple times a year - again about 2.5 hours away.

Within 30 minutes - no, I don't have any. I am aware of some campgrounds, even drove through a couple of them, but honestly - if it's that close I'll build a fire in the back yard and call it camping!

Then again, I boondock most of the time, and that is what I love....different desires are what make the world a great place to be!

-Chak
Hey Chakara,
I too live in Albuquerque, and just bout a camper last October. I wish I would've started reserving campsites last year, cause now it seems everything is mostly booked up I am interested in hearing about some of your favorite boondocking spots in the Jemez and also down south as it looks like I will be doing some of that this year.
Thanks,
Brian
brbeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #27

I live in same vicinity as Doug (Cincinnati area) and when we only have 2 nights to camp, we stay in one of our local CG's, Brookville Lake, Whitewater SP, and Hueston Woods. We live about 25 mins when pulling TT from Hueston Woods. Will be camping there during Mother's Day weekend. I heard that they had to cut alot of trees down because of the Emerald Ash beetle and what a shame that is. I've heard great things about Versailles, but still haven't made it there.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kim,
All good places.
Hopefully we'll catch up with you the 2nd half of the season.
Maybe we'll meet at Versailles :-)

Safe travels,
Doug & Julie

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #29

We have our camper set up on a permanant/seasonal site 23 miles and about a 1/2 drive from our house. Before the seasonal site we never went no more than a hr away , too many good spots here in the N.C. foothills.
THABULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #30

Thabull
Any great campgrounds in western nc you would recomend? Thanks
01Ford F-350 Crew Cab,PowerStroke
Markwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #31

we have a place that is 40 mins form our house and it does feel like a getaway even if its for a weekend....its got a beach, paddleboats, playground, gameroom etc. They also have a great activities schedule, we like to go for halloween weekend and sometimes for the labor day weekend too...so fun although this year will be our first with our TT, all the other years we tented with friends that had campers...i can't wait for this year

2007 Jay Feather Sport 218

2007 Honda Ridgeline
jaycojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
Hi Kim,
All good places.
Hopefully we'll catch up with you the 2nd half of the season.
Maybe we'll meet at Versailles :-)

Safe travels,
Doug & Julie
I should be easy to spot. I have my JOF decal afixed to my TT!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwolfe View Post
Thabull
Any great campgrounds in western nc you would recomend? Thanks
If your wanting too know about the Asheville/Smokey Mountain area I can't help ya never camped there.
THABULL is offline   Reply With Quote