Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2017, 05:56 AM   #1

Camping Discounts

We are relatively new to camping and owning an RV. I have been seeing multiple sites that allow you to pay say $60 a year for a membership to get 50% off camping. Does anyone use these, and what do you recommend? Do they really work?

We have been generally happy staying at KOA's and we did get that membership to get 10%. We prefer full hookup with wifi/cable if we can get it.
markscns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:11 AM   #2

No offense intended to KOA, but you'll get a steep discount staying just about anywhere else other than KOA. In my experience, their rates are typically 20+% more than most campgrounds around them.

We use Good Sam only because we received a 3-year membership with the purchase of our TT. It usually only entitles you to a 10% discount (which is better than nothing) at GoodSam-affiliated campgrounds. You can usually ask at registration if they offer that discount.

I don't really see the value in the discount programs. I guess we don't camp enough (about 30 nights/year) to warrant the program costs to see a measureable savings. I personally wouldn't want to be bound to one campground to realize the savings either. We only have a couple of CGs we stay at regularly when my daughters are playing ball in certain areas.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:20 AM   #3

Anyone know if AARP gives camping discounts???
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #4

Check out passport America. Pay only $44 for a year and get 50% off campgrounds but check there web site to see if it will work for you at the campgrounds where you would camp at. All you have to stay is 3 nights at $30 a night then get 50% off it will pay for the membership.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:52 AM   #5

The problem with most of the discount camping clubs is that they are very limited in where you can stay. We found that they are seldom where we want to stop for the night.

Good Sam just isn't what they used to be. We joined back when they first were formed, and we're life members. That being said, since their "association" with CW, they've gone down hill... There are no longer East Coast and West Coast directories, the campground reviews (ratings) are not very accurate, their downloadable app doesn't even support Windows, etc. The Good Sam members are great, very helpful and friendly, but the club has become more about selling than fellowship. Sad.

All we use now (membership wise) is KOA because the campgrounds are pretty consistent in what you get, and on top of the 10% discount, you get points for free nights. Pretty good deal.

The national parks passport for Seniors is (or was) a good deal. Not sure now that the price has gone thru the roof.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #6

AAA, Good Sam & KOA cards are what's in my wallet

NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:08 AM   #7
Site Team

I have been a PPA member for many years. We use it when traveling for overnight stays primarily. We travel a lot and mine pays for itself many times over the cost.
There are different rules concerning when any how many nights you can stay so you have to be aware of that. They have a pretty good app that is updated promptly on changes.
We are GS life members so I'll take 10% if it's available.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
No offense intended to KOA, but you'll get a steep discount staying just about anywhere else other than KOA. In my experience, their rates are typically 20+% more than most campgrounds around them.

We use Good Sam only because we received a 3-year membership with the purchase of our TT. It usually only entitles you to a 10% discount (which is better than nothing) at GoodSam-affiliated campgrounds. You can usually ask at registration if they offer that discount.

I don't really see the value in the discount programs. I guess we don't camp enough (about 30 nights/year) to warrant the program costs to see a measureable savings. I personally wouldn't want to be bound to one campground to realize the savings either. We only have a couple of CGs we stay at regularly when my daughters are playing ball in certain areas.

shrp
I have both KOA and Good Sams (for now) cards. KOA is my preferred CG because I know what I am going to get. I have yet to stay at one in 2 years that was dirty and the amenities were all top notch. Some of the GS campgrounds that we stayed at not so much even though reviews were ok. When on the road looking for a last minute place to stay for the night or as a final destination you cant go wrong with KOA.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markscns View Post
We are relatively new to camping and owning an RV. I have been seeing multiple sites that allow you to pay say $60 a year for a membership to get 50% off camping. Does anyone use these, and what do you recommend? Do they really work?

We have been generally happy staying at KOA's and we did get that membership to get 10%. We prefer full hookup with wifi/cable if we can get it.
For camping discounts, our only experience is with PassPort America (PPA). It works as advertised and it works for us, BUT most campgrounds are not top tier, destination sites. If you like KOA, you're likely to be disappointed with many of the PPA campgrounds.

Also with PPA, there are many restrictions that vary between campgrounds and there are 'black out' days of the week and dates (usually around the holidays or local special events).

Depending on your RV and family, try 'boondocking' some nights to save money.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #10

Camping Discounts

The Federal Parks have one free day a year usually in the fall! Can not remember the exact day.
Attached Thumbnails
Kaibab.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #11

We are also Good Sam and KOA members. We like KOAs for the reasons stated, but, you can find some not so great KOAs. Many were built back in the early years of RV when rigs were much smaller. So if you have a larger rig they can be tight to get into.

But, they are 'campgrounds' not RV parks/resorts. Usually a bit 'quaint'. Also a bit more expensive than many other campgrounds depending on where they are. Frequently you find them near popular attractions so that drives cost as well. Some are much better kept than others, but, none have been really bad for us.

Good Sam used to indicate a better quality campground. Not so much anymore. If the CG has a Good Sam approval it means it is probably not horrible, but, may not be really nice either.

The other discount memberships limit where you stay. We have noticed that we rarely stay where those other discounts are offered.

We also stay at military bases sometimes. They are hit and miss. Some are great, like the one we are in now at Ft Jackson. Some are tight and in the middle of town, like Ft Bliss. Some are very plain, like Kirtland AFB. Reasonable prices but limited length of stay and active duty have priority (as it should be).

If you can manage stay for a full week to get a discount (usually 7th day is free). We full time so stay for a month or more at some places. That gets the best rates.

Also, try https://freecampsites.net/ Remember, you frequently get what you pay for
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote