Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #1

Camping games

What does everybody use in the way of games while camping. I just bought some stuff today for my wife for Christmas to go in the trailer. We still have to outfit our trailer with such things. Today i picked up a crib board and cards, yahtzee, and a horse race board game that is played with dice and cards. We are going to probably going to buy or make a ladder golf or blongo ball game. We have friends that have a good old fashioned lawn darts.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #2

From my own experience, I can suggest a set of dominos and a deck of Bicycle playing cards......neither take up much space and both entertain the grandkids as well as the "middle agers".
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #3

Great Thread!

We have Yahtzee, Dominoes, and dice (for a dice game that my centenarian auntie taught us last year on our trip to Milwaukee), as well as cards for "Dirty Gert"; IDK; and "Hand and Foot".... as well as computer games such as "Plants and Zombies", "Zuma's Revenge"; "Bejeweled Twist"; and "Peggle Nights"!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:29 AM   #4

Only ones we add to this list are backgammon and Sequence. You might add other card games like Five Crowns and Phase Ten.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #5

Old thread revival time. We are headed out for Easter weekend for sure and hopefully sooner. Just got back from a week in Arizona watching my daughter play softball. Here is one of the games we bought, it is fun to play, can be played with nickels and dimes or chips, the nice thing is you can play for a set period of races or till the money is all gone.

Rules for the Wooden horse races game, also known as Horse Races.
To play you also need a pair of 6 sided dice and a std deck of cards.
Poker chips can be substituted for money. We do not recommend using real money to play this game. There. Now the Alberta Gaming and Licensing Commission won't be coming after us. Use chips representing 5 pessos, 10 pessos, and 25 pessos.

From the deck of cards, discard the aces, kings, and jokers, leaving you with 44 cards. Shuffle and deal these cards. Each player may not get the same amount of cards.

Place the horses at the starting gate. Four horses must be eliminated, or “scratched”, before the start of the race.

To do this, the player to the left of the dealer rolls the dice, and the total on the dice is the 1st horse scratched. That horse is moved back to the first line. I.e.: a 3 and a 5 are thrown. Horse 8 is moved back to the first line. All players would then check their cards and pay five cents for each 8 card in their hand. The 8 cards are then discarded.

The next player rolls the dice for the second scratch. That horse moves back to the SECOND line and cost TEN cents for each of those that you have in your hand. Continues with the third and fourth horse scratches, moving up to fifteen and twenty cents, respectively. Pay the designated amounts, and discard the cards accordingly. If you the roll the same number on the dice as a horse already scratched, you (the roller) pay the amount on that horse's line and pass the dice to the next player.

The horses remaining at the gate are now ready for the race to start.

The next person to roll the dice totals them, and move that horse forward one space. However, if the total on the dice is that of a scratched horse, then that player must pay the amount which that horse is standing on.

Play continues around the table, until one of the horses reaches the finish line!

Your cards are you share of each horse in the race. If horse number 9 should finish the race as the winner, and you have no 9 cards in your hand, you are out of luck! On the other hand, if you were to have two 9 cards in your hand, you would win half the pot! If you had all four of the 9 card in your hand, you would take the entire pot!

Each card in the winning horse's number wins 25% of the pot.

After the pot has been divided, the cards are passed to the next player, the horses are all moved to the starting gate, and you are ready to begin the next race!

A pair of ones on the dice would be a #2 horse.

A pair of 6's would be a queen.

A 5 and a 6 would be a jack

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Old 03-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #6

Deck of cards, cribbage board, Phase 10 cards, Uno, chess & checker board, Monopoly.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:32 AM   #7

Good pair of hiking shoes the Grandkids and we enjoy the trails and play while walking.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #8

(We usually camp for at least four nights, so when not hiking the trails or playing the mini-golf, ping-pong, swimming, etc, we enjoy the games from home, even when it's just Don and me.)

Another game we are just now teaching the older grankids is a card game called Liverpool Rummy. We also added a board game called Chutes and Ladders for the 4yr old who now joins us on campouts.

OOOps forgot Breezi, we bring a couple of her fetch toys for indoor/outdoor play
Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek700 View Post
Old thread revival time. We are headed out for Easter weekend for sure and hopefully sooner. Just got back from a week in Arizona watching my daughter play softball. Here is one of the games we bought, it is fun to play, can be played with nickels and dimes or chips, the nice thing is you can play for a set period of races or till the money is all gone.

Rules for the Wooden horse races game, also known as Horse Races.
Where'd you pick this up at?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Site Team

Cornhole

Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #11

I got mine from Dufferin Games, they have a store where I live. There are similar ones on ebay. I looked and Amazon was out of stock. They should be able to mail one out no problem out of Canada to you here is a website. If you google "wooden horse racing game" I found a page that explains how to make one out of a small piece of plywood and drilling hole in it and using golf tees for the horses. Here is the online store of where I got mine. It is fun with 5-6 people, you can use chips or change. It can be a more beer=more fun type of thing too.

http://www.fgbradleys.com/fgb-cart/P...d=2196&cat=142

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #12

Lawn darts is a great camping game. Horse shoes would be good also.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote