Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #21

I was backing into a spot that was a uphill slight left turn. A gentleman came out and said that it would be better to use low range 4 wheel drive to back into the spot. I took his advice. He had a shocked look on his face when the tires spun under light throttle on the chip sealed gravel covered road. I put into high 4 wheel drive and backed right in without spinning any more. The old 1990 GMC 2500 Suburban I was driving at the time had a Whipple supercharger on it and was putting out more horses than he was thinking an old burb could. I just had to grin, it was fun showing off. The man was only trying to help. I thanked him and went about my setting up.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:42 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Not calling you wrong, but i would have offered up my help if i knew what the issue was.Why let a person struggle .... is he really learning anything by it, probably not .... except that this guy keeps watching me! Offer up your help, if he wants it, he'll be grateful, if he doesn't, he will thank you, and continue on what he's doing!
Old 06-16-2018, 06:33 AM   #23

In the spring we were at a CoE campground outside Nashville and I backed the guys trailer into the site for him.

I didn't ask if he needed help until he had the TV (Expedition) down in the ditch and stuck between two culverts across from his site. He also had no mirrors on the TV that showed anything but sky.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post

I was having a real hard time backing up because of the pad location. The neighbor did have to move his truck, and offered to help when he saw me struggling, but I needed to learn. Pretty sure all the neighbors were watching. I kept my cool and did it after about 20 minutes. I even had to do the re-group and come around again method.

Hard to explain, but there was a curve in the road in front of pad, so not much room to straighten out. Then I had to back TT up and swing left, up a slight hill. I could get the trailer almost where I needed, but the problem was the entrance to the pad was smaller up front than in back, with a concrete culvert ditch on one side and a railroad tie drop-off on the other. So because of the backing angle, my truck tires were about to get stuck in the drop-offs. Great camp site. But I will never rent spot #14 again.

I also worried the whole time that when I left, were the TT wheels going off into the ditch when making a left without much room forward for a wide turn. No problem getting out - and a waste of time worrying.

This reminds me of that scene from the movie "Long Long Trailer" when they were trying to back in to that driveway. If you haven't seen the movie, you need to.

Anyway, don't feel bad. We've all been there at least once.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #25

I'll usually offer to help if I see someone really struggling. We had a guy back his trailer in on the campsite next to us that had a pretty good front to back slope. His wife was guiding him and she looks over at me and stated they were newbies and this could take awhile. I smiled and let me know if they needed any help. I went in to get a beer and when I came out the guy had it backed in just fine. I looked over and just in the nick of time I yelled stop. He was just getting ready to pop it off the ball and didn't have the trailer wheels chocked which could have been a disaster with the slope he was on. He chocked his wheels and all was good and I felt good about myself the rest of the day.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #26

The only time I will offer advice is if I see someone is about to hit something, or, if someone asks me to 'watch a corner' while they are backing. I will not act as a 'ground guide'. Had a bad experience.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #27

Last month at a local CG, my 10 y.o. son noticed water steadily coming from under an unoccupied Jayco TT. I knocked on the door and when no one answered, I went around and shut his water off because it was making a large puddle under the camper. I was also concerned that the water was coming from inside his camper and was trying to prevent any additional damage.

A few hours later the owners returned and I explained what I did and why. The guy stated he knew about the leak and went out to get some pipe or fittings to fix it but didn't say why he left the water on. I left his site a little perplexed and now I'm a little hesitant to help anyone else like that again.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #28

It's always a crap-shoot when trying to help someone. Some people are too proud to accept help, or too embarrassed to ask. Some people are really just fine, but maybe having a little of a rough day, so there's really nothing you can do anyway. I have trouble determining when to offer help, but I always try to be helpful.

We were stuck in OK City during Harvey last year, and this old guy showed up in a MH towing a Jeep TJ on a dolly. He was obviously handicapped, but he was also obviously experienced. You could tell he knew what he was doing, but it was going to take him a while because of his ailments, so I said hello and went about my business thinking he'd be fine, plus he had a much younger lady there with him to help if/when needed.

He went to get the Jeep off the dolly, and he hadn't put it in gear or set the brake. So as soon as he released the last hold-down, the Jeep knocked him over and rolled away. I turned around just in time to see that it would stop and not hit anything. DW and I went over and helped the man to his feet, made sure he was okay, offered to move the Jeep (he declined) and went about our business. DW was handwringing quite a bit, asking if we should go over and do more. I said "no, we won't do that unless we're asked, leave it alone. He knows we're here, and we've offered to help if needed."

My point is that even the most experienced of us make mistakes and need help every now and again. So, I will make it obvious that I'm there to help if needed and offer help when it looks appropriate, but I don't interject. And if the person declines, I just let them know I'm around if they need anything and go about my business. Sometimes people even take me up on it. If that happens, I explain to them that I've been in their shoes before, and I try to put them at ease and help them solve their problem.

I guess what I'm saying is maybe don't ask if they need help, but instead just say something like "hello" and let them know you're there if they need you. And for Pete's sake, don't gawk!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #29

I think you should have asked if he needed help. On a few occasions I've been in a struggle and have responded favorably once someone asked if I needed help. In all of the cases, I would have been too embarrased to go up and ask had they not offered. But since they offered and I accepted, I now remember them as some of the most kind people I've come across while camping. At least put the offer out if you're willing to help.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #30

Not to brag........some people have a natural skill at backing. I do....... Drove Semi's (more like backing semi's) for twenty plus years. Our home terminal was on the edge of a 4 lane road..........had to blind side 53ft trailers every day to put them in the dock, half at time at night in the dark with nobody around (line haul) Ran City also with a 32 ft..............use to have to back into alley's as we were a JC Penney's Catalog Carrier. Use to have people come out of stores to watch me do it...........loved it!

One of the biggest problems new backers have is getting frustrated if they don't hit it on the 3rd or 4th try. Patience.......patience.......patience.........onc e you get upset or flustered just about all hope is gone. Best to circle the block (camp site) and try it again. Just getting out to see how you're doing is okay also ...........sticking your head out the window to back in is 100 percent acceptable instead of being cool and "mirroring" it............that's why God gave us heads that pivot on a neck
More than once I have approached a driver having trouble hitting a dock and offer to put it in for them..............sometimes the response was a growl...........other times it was VERY appreciated...............you don't know til you ask. God put us here to help each other when it's wanted or needed
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #31

Retired LEO, excellent words of wisdom, Thanks !

Longleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #32
Say

I typically let my fellow campers figure it out on their own. Probably because I’ve had too many instances of 2,3 “experts” coming over to help me into my site before I’ve even put my truck in reverse. No harm in asking if someone needs help after awhile, but overzealousness puts me off.
Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #33

I was at the dump once, jeep in front with a trailer and 3 teenagers yelling at mom to go in different directions in backing up. Epic line behind me and no one able to move until she was backed in.

I gave a hand and it was very much welcomed.

Your always going to have the people that "Know it better or know it all" and those I don't take any personal offense if they say NO. Usually means more time around the anyways or a really good show.

You can usually glance over and determine if they are willing to take help. Deer in the headlight look, puzzled looked, scratching head... VS angry towards a spouse - kids, biggest baddest looking truck - trailer and a attitude to match.

The one thing I will not do is talk to someone during the hitching time. I have a process, I have a method to my madness and if someone helps or is talking I reckon I get out of my steps, so I will tell others I will help but do your thing I will wait until your finished and or I'm showing them how to do it.
I have personally seen 4 trucks going down the road with the hitch unlocked, I can only assume due to not checking and getting out of routine VS lack of knowledge. Once told they went flush as they understood the danger.

If your going to hurt someone I'll interject very much and don't care what the reply was earlier, If you tell me no politely I'll even keep you from damaging your rig.... If your an butt .. well you might end up on youtube by me as I figure you can afford it.

In closing last weekend DW and I show up 30+ foot 5th wheel and the neighbors go grab beers and start to watch me back in. DW is watching helping and I had the perfect space to back in on the first try, got out once then pulled forward once to make it perfect..... well I guess the neighbor took an hr to back in so his friends gave him grief the whole night about me basically getting the hole shot 1 and done. yeah I pulled forward once but I could have dropped it there as well.

But I backup at home... can I do it solo... maybe but its epic tight... have I done it in 1 shot before yes... has it taken me 10 tries before .. yup. First time ever was a 1 and done... 2nd time I was cocky MF ... yeah I hit the house.

My vote is to offer if nothing more then prevent hitting stuff.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #34

Twice I had people come over and start helping even though I didn't ask for help, and at the time I was having a fine time. In both cases they caused damage to my unit, and then quickly left when I asked them why they did that.

Twice i offered to help someone else when they were obviously in over their heads and the reply I got back was go away, leave me alone, I have been doing this for 40 years and don't need no stinking help. Both times the wife told him to shut up and take the help.

If you ask for help, I will comply right away. If you back into a tree, so sad so sorry for you. I don't need to get in an argument.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #35

Was that you watching me North of Charlotte a few weeks ago? Or is it just a common occurance? Boy did i have to laugh at myself the next day. My wife also laughed at me a bunch wuth the deserved told ya so. It is easy to make a rookie mistake when you are one.
Forsyth1933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:47 AM   #36

Last year I was out with the club we camp with and the wife was doing fine with directions (except when she disappears into the blind spot) when a female member came over and took charge, not wanting to be mean but when she kept telling me to bring my ___ over this way then that way I put the truck in park jumped out and grabbed both cheeks and hopped in the direction she wanted, end of story.
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #37

I'll offer to move my TV as if it was me backing into their spot.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #38

I back in solo and when someone comes over to "help" I ignore their directions and just watch my backup cam on the trailer. But I always thank them for the help once parked...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #39

I have not read all the responses. I have, at times, offered my assistance to a fellow camper. When I do, I explain that I'm not going to give "right/left", "forward/back" directions, I'm only there to be the eyes and stop you if you are going hit something. The same is true when I need assistance. I can determine where I want to go, I just want someone to stop if I going to hit something.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:46 AM   #40

A couple years ago I was driving through a neighbourhood on a snowy winter night. A young lady in a Sunfire had taken a corner too fast and slid off the road, leaving the front drive wheels slightly into the ditch and spinning freely. She was stuck and I had my truck with tow straps, so I offered to tug her out. Just as I'm hooking up, her trailer trash dad comes whipping around the corner in an old rusted out beater, hollering out the window that if I damage her car then I'm paying for it. I put my truck in park, got out and unhooked my strap, and drove away as the guy was yelling "where ya going?". Don't need that!