Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #1

Camping near Yosemite. Need help

Hi Friends,

Ok, we are going to Yosemite this summer. Unfortunately, you need to make reservations for camping inside the park one year in advance. We have not done that.

So we have to park somewhere outside. We do not mind boondocking, we have have a generator and solar panels, but it seems that most places, such as some national forests, will not accommodate our 32 foot trailer. We are not KOA people either.

So any other options? I see that Mariposa has a county fairground where one can camp, but that's around 50 miles from Yosemite. Anything closer? Any suggestions? Anyone with a piece of land for a nice family with 2 young kids for a few days?

In any event, any help or suggestions as to where to camp would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ensign
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #2

It's going to be tough to find something now. I would look at Bass Lake, it's about ~20 miles south of the south gate. You might find something there.

Also I would check daily for cancellations in Wawona CG. It's not the valley floor, but a great CG in the park along the Merced River. The CG has the most sites available to accomdate your trailer, 32' is starting to get big for Yosemite.

There might be more option on the other gates I am not aware of, we always use the south gate.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #3

Summerdale Campground - US Forest Service - is nice, on a stream, just off the road between Fish Camp and Yosemite NP. It is primitive with vault toilets. We use it as a stop before we go into Yosemite looking for first come sites. White Wolf Campground and 1/2 of Tuolumne Meadows Campground are first come first serve. Both are on Tioga Road. It opened on May 18th.
Cindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:19 AM   #4

Keep in mind that those are RESERVABLE spots... Only 8 out of the 13 campgrounds in Yosemite are reservable. Rest are 1st come 1st serve... I was in the same spot as you in 2014 during the peak camping week... They still had 10 spots available when I arrived at the entrance... Of course, that's not guaranteed it's going to the be the same when you arrive...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #5

Just keep radiating your search outward until you find someplace with a vacancy ~ but be cautious of boon-docking in the National Forest as it is currently not very safe (previous posts made here on this topic). Also keep in mind some of the roads down into the valley floor are not easy trailer pulls (steep climbs, rapid drops); we prefer Highway 140. Family lives in both Coarsegold and Bass Lake, and the day trips aren't that tough ... they all use YARTS (Yosemite Area Regional Transportation System) and avoid the traffic messes and driving strain - their price is great and stops are well located - bring your bike on the bus!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Just keep radiating your search outward until you find someplace with a vacancy ~ but be cautious of boon-docking in the National Forest as it is currently not very safe (previous posts made here on this topic). Also keep in mind some of the roads down into the valley floor are not easy trailer pulls (steep climbs, rapid drops); we prefer Highway 140. Family lives in both Coarsegold and Bass Lake, and the day trips aren't that tough ... they all use YARTS (Yosemite Area Regional Transportation System) and avoid the traffic messes and driving strain - their price is great and stops are well located - bring your bike on the bus!
Why is it not safe to boondock there? (Easier to just ask than try to find posts.)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:39 AM   #7

One of the threads (now closed) is "This one gives me chills", post #1 & #13 recaps news articles, or search for the keywords: pot cartels. Google the references to learn this is neither a small nor isolated occurance in Northern California, so be informed and boon-dock wisely.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #8

Try Dimond O

Facility Details - DIMOND O, CA - Recreation.gov

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote