Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #1

Camping with dogs

Hi all,

Hubby and I breed and show salukis, so we'll be using our trailer more for dog shows than for family excursions. With our old PUP we had a system figured out so we could set up expens (think portable fencing) around the door, and block the underside of the trailer to keep the dogs from escaping that way. But, it was a bit rough on the exterior of the PUP. Does anybody else do this type of thing for their dogs,and if so, what do you use to block that escape route AND protect the exterior of the trailer? We generally use an ez-up rather than the awning and tie the expens to the legs of the ezup. It gives the expens some stability, and also adds some "wind" stability for the ez-up. Would love some suggestions!

Thanks!

Betsy & Kevin Cummings
Tribute Salukis
St. Louis, MO

2011 JayFeather Ultralite x17c
Ancient Dodge Ram 3500 15 passenger van
TributeSalukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #2

WE travel with our two mutts, Bayleigh and Tucker. At the cg we put their 2 wire crates side by side and and attach the portable fence to the crates. They behave pretty well and are happy to be inside the enclosure. Once in awhile a chipmunk or squirrel will tease them, but for the most part this works well for us......happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayleightucker View Post
WE travel with our two mutts, Bayleigh and Tucker. At the cg we put their 2 wire crates side by side and and attach the portable fence to the crates. They behave pretty well and are happy to be inside the enclosure. Once in awhile a chipmunk or squirrel will tease them, but for the most part this works well for us......happy camping!
Thanks for this - but we generally don't crate the dogs in the trailer, nor would we crate them outside. I'm looking more for something we can use to prevent them from going under the trailer - maybe a short expen bungied and clipped to "undercarriage" stuff. (If that makes sense.) We're considering something we can maybe bungie to our outdoor table on one side, but are still at a bit of a loss for the other side. Our friends use pipe insulation around the edges of their expens to protect the trailer, and that seems to work pretty well. We'll keep looking around at ideas.

Betsy & Kevin Cummings
Tribute Salukis
St. Louis, MO

Old 11-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #4

I use a strong tie out for my doberman. At home he has the run of the yard so he isn't the biggest fan of the tie out but it allows him to come camping so he tolerates it (In WI parks, all pets must be leashed).
Old 11-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax_83 View Post
I use a strong tie out for my doberman. At home he has the run of the yard so he isn't the biggest fan of the tie out but it allows him to come camping so he tolerates it (In WI parks, all pets must be leashed).
Many dogs do well on tie outs, but not sight hounds. They can be at top speed in about 3 strides and when they hit the end of the tie out, they tend to break their necks. We can set up the expens away from the door without problem, but frankly, having them around the door is a safety issue for me. I certainly can't run 35 mph to chase them! I know, I sound a bit neurotic about this, and I guess I am. But knowing the expens are outside the door to keep them contained gives me peace of mind just in case they open the door by accident. (And some of my kids CAN open doors - even sliding ones.) I'm beginning to think we'll just use the expens along the sides of the trailer and figure out a way to protect the sides of the trailer as the best option. We still need to find something to put under the steps as our girls are small enough to slide thru there if they want. If anybody comes up with an idea, would appreciate hearing it!

Thanks!!!!

Betsy & Kevin Cummings
Tribute Salukis
St. Louis, MO

Old 11-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #6

We have 4 pugs that we camp with. I purchased two plastic pens from amazon and just put them together enclosing the area under the awning and out about 2 feet or so beyond. In all it is probably a 14x8 foot area or so. I went to home depot and bought 2 of the 4 ft by 8 foot plastic trellis sheets, the kind you put up for vines to crawl up. I cut 2 slits in one of them to go where the stairs are. The attached picture is an older one, I could not move the picnic table any further away due to the weight and size but i think you will get the general idea. I attach them to the coach with zip ties usually to the storage doors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Image.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	5612
Troy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #7

[QUOTE=Troy M;103035]We have 4 pugs that we camp with. I purchased two plastic pens from amazon and just put them together enclosing the area under the awning and out about 2 feet or so beyond. In all it is probably a 14x8 foot area or so. I went to home depot and bought 2 of the 4 ft by 8 foot plastic trellis sheets, the kind you put up for vines to crawl up. I cut 2 slits in one of them to go where the stairs are. The attached picture is an older one, I could not move the picnic table any further away due to the weight and size but i think you will get the general idea. I attach them to the coach with zip ties usually to the storage doors.

YES! That's the general idea. We used some cheapie trellis on the old PUP, but it was under the stairs that defeated us. THANK YOU! Plastic will probably hold up better than the cheap wooden one we had. Much appreciated Troy.

Betsy & Kevin Cummings
Tribute Salukis
St. Louis, MO

Old 11-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #8

How many know the Salukis are the mascot for a major university? Unfortunately for our dogs, no team will ever be known as the mutts......happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayleightucker View Post
How many know the Salukis are the mascot for a major university? Unfortunately for our dogs, no team will ever be known as the mutts......happy camping!
hehe I do! (Well, I would!) In fact, Scandal was the first puppy to attend their homecoming festivities at 14 weeks of age. He went back the next year as a new Champion...and people flocked to him both times. The first because they'd never seen a puppy, and the 2nd time because they remembered him. And he thought the whole thing was a party thrown just for him. He adored every minute. I was hoping to take some of his kids this year, but my family campout conflicted...again. We're discussing The University of Southern Illinois - Carbondale. GO DAWGS!

And for the record, I like mutts. I've had many over the years. And no, they probably won't ever be anybody's mascot, but that doesn't mean they can't be champions of your heart and home.

Betsy & Kevin Cummings
Tribute Salukis
St. Louis, MO

Old 11-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #10

I put a plastic fencing against the TT http://www.amazon.com/Northstate-Sup...le+pet+fencing
and wire fencing for the rest. I don't include the door in the fenced area. We put our folding chairs in the pen so the weinner dog doesn't feel ignored.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #11

I have used wire shelving that you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. Cut to any size, attach with cable ties. Use split "pool noodles" or pipe insulation to protect your vehicle.
PUG.MOM is offline   Reply With Quote