Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

Camping with dogs

We got a puppy a few months back and I am curious as to what everyone does when camping and you leave the campground and your new best friend can't go with you. Is it OK to leave him in his crate with the ac on like we would do at home. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #2

We typically will leave our 2 dogs alone in the trailer for short partial day trips. We avoid leaving for extended periods though.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:28 PM   #3

I always leave our crated beagle with the ac running.

I also stop by and very nicely ask that if power goes down could they rescue her and/or call us. I would rather have a pried open door than see her hurt.

Never had a problem.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #4

I never leave my dog for more than 2 hours in the summer. Campground power is sporadic at most places I've been at. I don't want the power to go out and have him suffocate. It doesn't take long for a travel trailer to get hot when the ac goes off.

For example

My permanent site in florida, I have to set the alarm and microwave clock at least once a week.
Cahokia IL it was every other day.
Bethalto IL it's once every week and a half.

Saw a big fifth wheel go around barricades at a campground in Valdosta, GA and take out the power lines with his air conditioner.

I don't trust my trailer's electrical system or the campground's electrical system enough to put my lab at risk so I don't.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:29 AM   #5

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I did not even think about power outages and asking the office for a phone call or a rescue is a great idea as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2017, 07:31 AM   #6

We've our Golden Retriever with us and she's very happy here. We too limit our time away from the MH just too be safe. Cara is 3 1/2, very highly trained with a loving personality. She is not leashed if we're outside on the site but always for a walk or nature call. One plea to all owners.. Please clean up after your dog.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #7

We travel with three labs (in fact, taking them along was one of the drivers for buying a motorhome), and have no problem leaving them alone in the camper for short periods (I.e. going out to dinner). We close the shades, turn on the radio and leave the ac running.

The generator in our motorhome has an auto-start capability which, while not fool-proof, can help reduce the risk of impact from campground power failures.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #8

When ours was a puppy we would put her in the crate whenever we had to leave, but now she's 3, she's not in the crate at home anymore, so we don't crate her in the trailer either. Leaving the AC on does two things: it makes sure the dog doesn't overheat, and it drowns out any outside noises that may excite the dog.

One place we go to is just outside of a small resort town. We walk into town and go to a small beachside cafe for breakfast whenever we're there. There's an outside patio that we sit at if the weather cooperates, and have breakfast there. The staff is okay with us bringing the dog. If the weather is poor, we keep her in the trailer, drive for breakfast, and eat inside.

Just as a warning: if you take a puppy camping, this may happen:
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0048.JPG  
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #9

Everyone has their own level of risk avoidance. If it's hot enough outside, and the AC has to be on in your rig, I'd hesitate to leave my dog there. Power outages are far more common in campgrounds in the summer than they are at home. Especially in hot summers. Our MH has a programmable emergency start for the generator, which can be programmed to start the genset when demand signals come from the HVAC control. One current problem we have is that Cummins Onan doesn't make these controllers any longer, and ours does not display any longer. So, it can't be programmed.

For us, it's a toss-up whether we would want to leave the dogs in there anyway. Whether or not you trust your programmable genset control or not is a key.

We have left our dogs in a local kennel while camping, if we're going to be away for the day. That way, the dogs get to go camping, even if they have to spend one of those days in a kennel. At least they get to play with other dogs. Pick a good kennel ahead of time, and make reservations. They sometimes get crowded during vacation season.

If it's cool enough outside that the RV will stay cool without AC, or won't get so cold it freezes, then I wouldn't worry too much about anything beyond the couch cushions being shredded. Leave a window partly open and a roof vent open.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #10

Sometimes this happens as well. Apparently, couches aren't for people.

2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #11

Sign in window

We don't worry so much about the power... In a decade of camping we have lost power once and that was as a result of lightning strikes. That being said we probably have not left the dog for more then 3-4 hours, so not long enough for the temperature to reach dangerous levels should the A/C fail. Particularily with all of the window coverings in place.

Our bigger concern is her behaviour while we are away. At home she has a fairly assertive bark when someone comes to the door. We don't want that behaviour bothering our neighbours while camping, so we take several steps. As noted we pull the window coverings down on all windows to block the exterior view. We also run the A/C and leave the radio playing so that she does not hear the outside noise.

We have no indication she has ever been a problem, certainly when we arrive back we never hear a peep from her. But this year we plan to steal another campers idea, just in case. They had a laminated sign they post in the window introducing their pet and providing a cell number asking their neighbours to give them a call if there are any problems at the site.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by anav8or View Post
Sometimes this happens as well. Apparently, couches aren't for people.

Beds either......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0815.jpg  
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #13

Our pup always goes. And like others have said run radio/AC to help drown out 'strange noises' from outside and keep the temp comfortable. Found Bring Fido App useful to locate local dog friendly restaurants and beaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #14

I've never left our new pup since we've had her. Yeah...she's spoiled. Rotten!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #15

When she was a pup, she was kenneled, even at home. Now after training, she is never kenneled. When it is warm out, we turn on the AC, and if the weather does not look like rain, I actually crack open a few windows for fresh air if the power goes out. We have never experienced a power outage. The radio works nicely for white noise during the cooler months.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #16

We never leave our dog(s) unattended too many things can / have happened.

Dog gets off leash
Dog gets tangled up in his tie-out
Dog eats the camper
Dog takes a dump in the camper
Dog barks
Dog over heats
etc..

If we're doing the kind of camping trip where we know the dog can't be with us all the time, he stays home with a neighbor.

I'm sure some of you guys have very trust worthy animals, but our 11 month old Alaskan Malamute isn't one of them (yet). And our Siberian Husky never was. Our Chocolate Lab was extremely trust worthy, on or off leash so we would have considered leaving him on his own for short periods.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
When she was a pup, she was kenneled, even at home. Now after training, she is never kenneled. When it is warm out, we turn on the AC, and if the weather does not look like rain, I actually crack open a few windows for fresh air if the power goes out. We have never experienced a power outage. The radio works nicely for white noise during the cooler months.
We bought a Google Home for the house. And they actually have a station for "calming dog music". When the DW doesn't work from the house, she puts that on for the dog. Does it work? Who knows? She seems fine when I get home! LOL! The dog that is.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #18

We go with 2 different modes:

1) The Usual: Fur Baby travels with us to his own spa about 20 minutes from the campsite.

2) Stays with us: Anywhere and everywhere we go Puppykins in in the truck or on the leash. Exception for restaurants and stores, he stays in the truck with the windows open for venting. We don't waste time inside and bring him out something.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #19

I am not a fan of dogs being left behind when boondocking. We find many are only quiet when no one is around or the owner is with them. If I am next door, many will bark.

I like dogs, but I came for peace and quiet and when an owner leaves a pet behind and it barks, it takes away from my vacation. Many forest service campgrounds do not permit dogs to be left behind. Sometimes it happens anyway.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #20

We go almost nowhere without at least one of the dogs. But then again we show dogs. I couldn't imagine not having my boys and girls with me. Sorry to hijack the thread with gratuitous pictures of my family.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0254.JPG   IMG_0284.jpg   IMG_0768.jpg  
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote