Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowemi View Post
.....The web is so wonderful when shopping.
...and see reviews and real customer feedback!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #42

Several years ago we decided to get out (cabin fever) and drove to CW in Indiana. Since it was about a 2 hour drive after shopping in the store, we decided to walk the RV lot for some exercise. Interesting that units for sale were also cannibalized or parts were broken & just laying around instead of being locked. The molding around the slides was on the floor; the door for the electronics was missing & some of the electronics were missing as well; bathroom fixtures were missing.

We also attended an RV show earlier this year where CW had a great presence. One would expect the best of their units to be on display. Enough implied.

DW's co-worker got a very good deal on a Class A from CW that he could not pass up. He took it to CW for warranty work & continued to have problems. He contacted the manufacturer & made arrangements to take it there for the warranty work. One of the issues had been the sound system. Turns out the system in the Class A was 2 years older than the unit itself. The manufacturer told him that CW was known to cannibalize units instead of contacting the manufacturer & waiting for the parts.

With that being said, we needed warranty work on our unit at our selling dealer - which we did not get done because DW wanted to go camping this season! We were told they would need the unit for no more than a week. Shortly after that we were told they would need it for 8-10 weeks because they needed to get the parts from Jayco and once installed would have to water test the unit several times. We paid to have the rubber put on and we paid to have the roof fix (that they inspected in December). Almost positive their "water testing" would not have included the roof.

From what we are gathering there are long wait times at any RV service dept.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:06 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_brown View Post
I have bought 2 Jayco units from the Camping World in Indianapolis and they were relatively good experiences.
I've bought 2 units from this same CW. On both units the price was unbeatable and the purchase experience was great. However I've never taken either unit back for any service. Any problems I had during the warranty period I either fixed myself or dealt directly with manufacturer of the problem areas with no problems getting replacement parts.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
Spoken like a true salesman.

There is one big flaw in your car dealership analogy. Those dealerships are individually-owned selling a brand and have little-to-no impact (relatively speaking) on the brand itself. Camping World Holdings, or Camping World, is a corporation responsible for it's brand. As such, THEY are accountable for the performance of the salespeople and services they provide regardless of their compensation practices of those individuals. Now your analogy would apply if the OT was about satisfaction with Jayco (or another manufacturer). In the end, I agree with you that you have a choice on where to buy and you can chose elsewhere.

Just my .02

shrp
I disagree. Very similar analogy. CW is not a brand name of any of the brands they carry, hence you can go anywhere else and buy that same trailer if you don't like CW. Car dealerships are same way. If you don't like one you can go to another and buy the same vehicle.

Corporate influence? Yep, I will be hard pressed to buy another Dodge since 3 out of 4 of their dealerships had lousy service centers. All owned by different people. So that indicates that Dodge may have something to do with this as well, training maybe? Dodge is accountable for the service received at a Dodge dealership since it means people will stop buying Dodges. And, yes, I have had great service at different Subaru dealers owned by different people. Does that mean that Subaru does a better job training and monitoring it's service centers? Don't know. It does mean to me that if Subaru made 3/4T diesel trucks I'd have bought one of them.

Bottom line is that not every service center is the same, whether it is a CW or a car brand. And the corporate leadership is affected by poor service centers, car or RV.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
I disagree. Very similar analogy. CW is not a brand name of any of the brands they carry, hence you can go anywhere else and buy that same trailer if you don't like CW. Car dealerships are same way. If you don't like one you can go to another and buy the same vehicle.

Corporate influence? Yep, I will be hard pressed to buy another Dodge since 3 out of 4 of their dealerships had lousy service centers. All owned by different people. So that indicates that Dodge may have something to do with this as well, training maybe? Dodge is accountable for the service received at a Dodge dealership since it means people will stop buying Dodges. And, yes, I have had great service at different Subaru dealers owned by different people. Does that mean that Subaru does a better job training and monitoring it's service centers? Don't know. It does mean to me that if Subaru made 3/4T diesel trucks I'd have bought one of them.

Bottom line is that not every service center is the same, whether it is a CW or a car brand. And the corporate leadership is affected by poor service centers, car or RV.
Problem is CW is the only place to buy Jayco here. Nobody else has them. So no choice if that's what you want to get.
OdiN1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdiN1701 View Post
Problem is CW is the only place to buy Jayco here. Nobody else has them. So no choice if that's what you want to get.
Same in Georgia. When I purchased the 377 the only dealers that had one was CW in Woodstock Ga, CW in Oakwood Ga, CW in Byron Ga, or CW in Savannah Ga. Knowing I could do most of the repairs myself I purchase anyway.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:58 PM   #47

Quote:
Problem is CW is the only place to buy Jayco here.

Weird. CW here doesn't sell Jayco. Only one dealership here does - perhaps too close to license both.
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
Weird. CW here doesn't sell Jayco. Only one dealership here does - perhaps too close to license both.
Which brings us full circle to Pamanc’s original post — CW buying the family-owned Jayco dealership right next door. Poof — no competition, which is rarely good.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:27 AM   #49

Quote:
You're making my point for me. You shop at CW for the opportunity they offer. Be it low/competitive prices, good services, competitive selection of goods, etc. You are shopping there because they offer value for what you're shopping for in that moment. So, you are at CW for that part of your RV acquisition because of the CW brand. You can simply buy the product at another dealership, or in a private sale if you felt the CW brand didn't offer some value to you. Jayco, Lance, Keystone, Airstream, etc. will not necessarily be permanently impacted overall by the CW brand (positively or negatively). If sales dip because of that relationship, they can simply remove their association with the brand.

Quote:
...Corporate influence? Yep, I will be hard pressed to buy another Dodge since 3 out of 4 of their dealerships had lousy service centers. All owned by different people. So that indicates that Dodge may have something to do with this as well, training maybe? Dodge is accountable for the service received at a Dodge dealership since it means people will stop buying Dodges. And, yes, I have had great service at different Subaru dealers owned by different people. Does that mean that Subaru does a better job training and monitoring it's service centers? Don't know. It does mean to me that if Subaru made 3/4T diesel trucks I'd have bought one of them.

IMO, you not buying another Dodge because of the service experience at a local dealer demonstrates your overall satisfaction of the Dodge brand. If you were completely satisfied with Dodge, you would likely want another. Given that, consumer studies show you would likely find another dealer that can meet your needs. That is called brand loyalty. You sound like a smart-enough guy through your posts in the past so I'm inclined to believe you would do just that for brand loyalty if you were truly happy with Dodge. Now, if you're indifferent or dissatisfied with the Dodge (or any) brand, you're likely to NOT pursue it based on negative experience(s) with service or feedback or any other logical reason to try something else.

Case in point, I am a Chevy guy. I've owned about 10 Chevy trucks and SUVs in my 25+ years of vehicle ownership and still own 3 of them. I wouldn't buy a Chevrolet truck from a dealer within 100 miles of my front door because I've had some sort of negative experience, or feedback, from just about all of them. But, I haven't stopped buying Chevy's because I know the quality I get and I am fond of them. I'm willing to accept the inconvenience of having to travel to stay in a Chevy.

At the end of the day, you're correct. A free market economy enables us to have options. All of us look at these type things thru different lenses. This is just my .02.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:11 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
I think bashing Camping World is a national pass time for some folks. Most of the complaints I see are much ado about nothing, or unreasonable requests by customers.

I'm a sales guy and people are always thinking we should give stuff away or perform services for no charge because we're nice guys. If most of these people would stop to think for a minute they would realize businesses are not in business to give stuff away.

If CW was as bad as some claim, it would have closed it doors a long time ago not be expanding. And everyone lamenting a local dealer selling out to CW needs to remember that nobody from Camping World held a gun to anybody's head.

We purchased our NTU travel trailer at CW in Kansas City and couldn't be happier. I was able to negotiate a price that we below book value and they let us leave the camper on their lot for three weeks until we could arrange storage. We also received a three-year Good Sam membership and and one-year of Emergency Road Service. Fortunately, we haven't had to use the road service, but we've taken advantage of the Good Sam discount and free shipping to purchase a few items at campingworld.com.

I wouldn't have any problem recommending CW to anybody.
I'm very glad that you had a positive experience with your local CW. I also am in sales and prior to sales spent my whole life in customer service. My local CW has provided me with very poor service. I have now become a valued customer after I went ballistic with the service director. When I brought my new 24.5 ckts in for service the first time I told the service writer that my kitchen slide sounds labored when retracting. He told me, and I quote, "I can have our tech run it in and out but if there is no problem with it we will have to bill you". It was determined by the tech that a part was required. I was told it would be ordered and I could bring my rig back in when the part arrived. I never heard another word. I called 6 weeks later to determine the status and nobody could find the work order or the required part. My NEW rig has been at CW since June 23rd. It turns out that 2 new motors are on order for the schwintek slide and are scheduled to be received by the end of July. So now, my NEW rig is unusable and in the shop during the most popular camping month in the Northwest. The problem has been twofold: an incompetent service writer and parts availability from Jayco. CW can not keep up with the volume of units that they sell especially due to the poor build quality coming from the manufacturers. I have an inquiry into Jayco to verify the time frame for the replacement motors. The last time CW told me that a part was back ordered I called Jayco and found out that they had 18 in stock. Bottom line is complaining about poor service from CW is justified, at least based on my experience with them. Having said that, I think poor service is the norm for the vast majority of dealerships.
Idaho Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:16 PM   #51

It really does come down to the individual CW store. Went to sign paperwork and hand them a check (in full) for my TT at the Byron, GA store. Then stood around for almost 4 hours for a unit I had been told 3 days prior was ready for pickup. Plus 2 hours to have them transfer the WD hitch, which they didn't set up right.

Fast forward 2 months....TV by bed started falling off the wall. Tech used 1/4 long screws and black mastic to attach. Jayco didn't put dead block in right spot and tech didn't bother to check. Mastic was his answer.

We took the unit to CW Valdosta, GA and a world of difference. They verified the TV mount issue, did a walk thru with me and picked up 2 things....hot water heater didn't sound right when igniting and the 7 pin plug on the RV had a pin out of alignment (ordered a replacement). They placed orders for parts (HW control board, new 7 pin cable and wall panel with tv mount. Took the unit home until parts came in and work done within 3 days.

I've found 3 CW stores I've dealt with to be excellent for service. Valdosta, GA, Albuquerque, NM and Flagstaff, AZ. I'd avoid every other store in GA and AZ from experience with sales staff.

Just my view and experience with CW.

As for Dodge/Ram, my buddy has a 2012 Ram he bought new. There was a recall in 2013 and he is still waiting for Ram to come up with a fix and parts. I own a 1970 Superbird which has had a recall for a wiper motor since 1972. Still waiting for the part from Chrysler (FCA). The shop that restored the Bird also had the wiper motor rebuilt after telling me Chrysler (and FCA) rarely comes up with a fix on recalls. That's why I stick with Ford (trucks) and Porsche.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #52

I really feel for you folks who have suffered through bad service at various RV dealerships throughout the country.

We've been "lucky" that we've been able to do the vast majority of our warranty repairs DIY. However, on those occasions where big ticket issues are involved, forcing us to bring our trailer to the dealer, it usually requires a lot of oversight to get "lucky". We ask a lot of specific questions. We make every attempt to coordinate directly with the dealer's service advisor (to include the tech), the parts department, and the manufacturer, to make sure everybody is on the same page. Unfortunately, it's impossible to do this without stepping on someone's toes. The very sad reality is, with some RV dealerships, your only other option is to trust them. It is what it is.

We've only dealt with one volume RV dealer where all this oversight wasn't necessary. Refreshing to be kept informed about progress with a hard-copy report, to have everyday techs say hello and offer help. It was very obvious (to us, anyhow) this volume dealer had a quality human resources department and good management. A number of folks (in every dept.) had worked at this dealership for over 10 years. Good people and good teamwork. Even though they have their fair share of glowing online reviews, they also have their "fair" share of reviews saying they're the "worst-of-the-worst".

Crazy world out there.

Again, it is what it is.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #53

I won't set foot in a CW again... Bought my Alante from them, sales dept was fine, no problems at all. But the service dept is a mess, took my rig in for warranty work and this is what they did.
Wanted a ladder, bought from them, I supplied the rear wall block diagram... they put it on the wrong side, so now I have two.
RV fell off the jacks when the overhead bunk was lowered, their fix? cut the alternator charging wire, problem solved, no matter the house batteries won't charge.
Toilet was rocking because the flange was to high, their fix, put a plastic shim under the edge. (I later R&R'd it after grinding the flange to fit)

Dash vent not connected to hose, they wanted to remove the dash to fix, I crawled under with a hose clamp and reattached it in 5 minutes.
And on and on.... and each time they wanted to keep the RV in their lot for weeks waiting on 'parts'... Total BS!
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #54

CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
I won't set foot in a CW again...

And on and on.... and each time they wanted to keep the RV in their lot for weeks waiting on 'parts'... Total BS!

My 'selling' CW is 240 miles away east. There are two west of me, 65 miles and I have no use for them, and 110 miles. I have no experience with the 110 mile away CW, but they don't carry Jayco. I've had to fix exactly two items that should have been warranted, total cost was less than

$20, so why burn all the gas and spend up to eight hours on the road when I can DIY. When the manufacture has to route the fresh tank vent back OUT the floor, there's a problem. And when they only get ONE screw through the isolator on the water pump and both inlet and outlet tubes attached to water pump were kinked at point of assembly... but forward...
Attached the vent tube where it belongs on the fill assembly. Filled hole in floor with expandofoam. Re plumbed water system and added 'residential whole house' Dupont filter for fresh water from reservoir. City connection is at other end of the system and will require hose filter. Will bee adding Dometic heat strip and vent cover this week some time. Happy camping, y'all!
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #55

I do almost all of the repairs myself also, easy as we have the unit parked at home, and I was a aircraft crew chief so can fix most things. We also had the kinked fresh water hose, broken off screw heads, slide bearing nut not tightened, crack in roof radius, very bad caulking in and out. I got Jayco CS to send me the caulk and roof patch and I did the repair. So many little aggravating things, mostly because of poor workmanship at Jayco. Thank goodness the Ford chassis & power train is bullet proof, and have had no problems with 3rd party equipment.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
RV fell off the jacks when the overhead bunk was lowered, their fix? cut the alternator charging wire, problem solved, no matter the house batteries won't charge.
Please explain how RV fell off jacks lowering overhead bunk. Sounds a bit weird.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
Please explain how RV fell off jacks lowering overhead bunk. Sounds a bit weird.
Jayco wired the power for the jacks on the wrong side of a relay, along with the bunk light power, when the bunk lowered and the light went on it back fed power to the jack control unit, but not enough amperage so the control unit went into emergency retract mode with all lights flashing and down we went. First time we had the G-Kids with us, everyone got a good scare as the slide was close to a tree, and the heavy side goes down first.
The so-called electrician at CW just cut the wire and called it good. I got the schematic from Jayco and with a tip from CS fixed it myself, won't let CW touch my rig again.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #58

I have a small suggestion.

If you have a problem with a CW, then please say WHICH one it is. Not all of them are bad but I would like to know which ones are. I have been treated well by the one in El Paso and the one in Albuquerque.

Since I do most of the work myself I have not had to use the service dept at other locations.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:54 PM   #59

Which CW

Quote:
I have a small suggestion.

If you have a problem with a CW, then please say WHICH one it is. Not all of them are bad but I would like to know which ones are. I have been treated well by the one in El Paso and the one in Albuquerque.

Selling CW OKC
65 mile CW Jack Sisemore Travel land-yes, it's a CW
110 mile CW Lubbock.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:04 PM   #60

CW of Sacramento, I-80 and Rocklin Road.