Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

Camping World

2 years ago we intentionally purchased from a family owned dealership when we purchased our Jayco Melbourne 24K. We have had stellar service and because we purchased from them they spoiled us with short wait times when we had warranty work done. Last week we learned the family owned dealership was bought out by Camping World and that the name will remain B & B .... we also learned that CW is doing this across the nation. Buying dealerships and not changing the name to CW. Has anyone else heard anything about this? Needless to say we are not happy campers at this point...
pamanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:09 AM   #2

That's what big businesses do, unfortunately. They come in with a huge offer and buy the company and their clients and ruin it. But if the small business doesn't sell the giant will just build a huge lot right next door and have sales/cut prices until the small business is forced to close.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
That's what big businesses do, unfortunately. They come in with a huge offer and buy the company and their clients and ruin it. But if the small business doesn't sell the giant will just build a huge lot right next door and have sales/cut prices until the small business is forced to close.

Interesting thing is that B&B has been directly next door to CW for years. CW would not talk to us about lowering price until we had an offer from B&B.... then CW wanted us to walk away from our agreement with B&B. We were so incredibly happy with our family owned dealership. They could not resist the offer from CW to buy the dealership. So sad.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:14 AM   #4

Our local family owned home heating oil company was bought out by a BIG firm. No mention of it to us (their customers). I almost immediately noticed changes in pricing and service, but couldn't figure out why the changes. I only found out by chatting with one of their service guys while grabbing a coffee at the local corner store. He told me they were bought out. I dumped them when I found out.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #5

Will never do business with CW again after its CEO said he did not want my business.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #6

Camping World

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamanc View Post
2 years ago we intentionally purchased from a family owned dealership when we purchased our Jayco Melbourne 24K. We have had stellar service and because we purchased from them they spoiled us with short wait times when we had warranty work done. Last week we learned the family owned dealership was bought out by Camping World and that the name will remain B & B .... we also learned that CW is doing this across the nation. Buying dealerships and not changing the name to CW. Has anyone else heard anything about this? Needless to say we are not happy campers at this point...

Jack Sisemore in Amarillo is now owned by Camping World. Trent Sisemore is 'managing' it. This is the dealership that carries Jayco in Amarillo, and all but (and did not get to) refused to work on my tt in 2012. They are still advertising 'family operated' and don't mention CW. Same outfit that owns CW, took over Gander Mountain in I-40 @ Helium Rd, which is now called Gander Outdoor. After my buying experience at Camping World OKC, I am REAL GLAD they are far enough away I don't have to go back, and the tt doesn't seem to have anything obviously wrong I can't fix.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #7

Camping World sells a huge amount of RV's. IMO, it's hard to put online complaints about CW into perspective. Complaints about CW, from all their 120 nationwide locations, all get lumped together, online, under one easily identifiable moniker, Camping World.

Got to wonder how CW's negative complaints actually stack up proportionally (complaints vs. units sold) with, say, your average, local dealer with a so-called "good" reputation.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #8

RV world in Buford Ga I found out is owned by CW. I gave the salesman my phone # and he new my name and email address. When I asked him how he knew he said they are owned by CW and that I must have bought something from CW. They sit about 10 miles from a existing CW That used to be owned and sold by the previous owner of RV World of Buford. Doesn't make sense for CW to buy a dealer and let that owner open up a new dealer 10 miles away to compete. When asked if the two locations were going to combine he said no and no to changing the name to CW.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Pamanc, we bought our Jayco just last fall from B&B and we’re sick, like you, to hear the news. We haven’t needed much work, thankfully, but when we have they’ve been great. OTOH, the few times I’ve dealt with CW right next door it has been nothing but lousy or non-existent customer service, at least in the retail shop. Let’s hope B&B keeps some independence and keeps up its quality service. Have you used them since the changeover?
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
Camping World sells a huge amount of RV's. IMO, it's hard to put online complaints about CW into perspective. Complaints about CW, from all their 120 nationwide locations, all get lumped together, online, under one easily identifiable moniker, Camping World.

Got to wonder how CW's negative complaints actually stack up proportionally (complaints vs. units sold) with, say, your average, local dealer with a so-called "good" reputation.
I think bashing Camping World is a national pass time for some folks. Most of the complaints I see are much ado about nothing, or unreasonable requests by customers.

I'm a sales guy and people are always thinking we should give stuff away or perform services for no charge because we're nice guys. If most of these people would stop to think for a minute they would realize businesses are not in business to give stuff away.

If CW was as bad as some claim, it would have closed it doors a long time ago not be expanding. And everyone lamenting a local dealer selling out to CW needs to remember that nobody from Camping World held a gun to anybody's head.

We purchased our NTU travel trailer at CW in Kansas City and couldn't be happier. I was able to negotiate a price that we below book value and they let us leave the camper on their lot for three weeks until we could arrange storage. We also received a three-year Good Sam membership and and one-year of Emergency Road Service. Fortunately, we haven't had to use the road service, but we've taken advantage of the Good Sam discount and free shipping to purchase a few items at campingworld.com.

I wouldn't have any problem recommending CW to anybody.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #11

Camping World started selling RVs around 2007 if'n I remember correctly. Before that they were your typical supply source and we used them quite often for outfitting our (barely) towable flybridge boat. Bigger isn't always better. My last visit was to the Bakersfield, CA store for a electrical emergency on the road and was greeted at the door by a panty-hosed young lady inquiring what kind of RV I was looking for. Must have been 15 glassed-in sales desks rimming the pitiful hardware area. Amazon now and won't waste my time.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It is usual the buyers who don't do their homework complain the most. And besides the don't know the difference between a nail and a screw. The quality of the 70's is no different than the present, except they where in comparison heavier. If the demand is high at times they will miss a few things, because aren't going to stop the production line.
As for dealers I can understand that their loyal customers have priority. CW is a box store and is based on selling not repairing, that's why you get good deals if you have no trade in. Many who buy have no clue what they are getting into. All I can say; learn your RV, learn how to repair. Otherwise RV's are expensive cash cows. Criticizing is an easy way out if you're lacking knowledge. Have fun camping!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Pamanc, we bought our Jayco just last fall from B&B and we’re sick, like you, to hear the news. We haven’t needed much work, thankfully, but when we have they’ve been great. OTOH, the few times I’ve dealt with CW right next door it has been nothing but lousy or non-existent customer service, at least in the retail shop. Let’s hope B&B keeps some independence and keeps up its quality service. Have you used them since the changeover?

Yes we have and it took 2 weeks to check our A/C. It was a simple fix. It was right after the change in ownership but couldn’t get them to return phone messages so we would drive down there to talk with them. I suspect they are short staffed. We learned at least one of the B&B staff is at a new dealership in town, Blue Dog. If we can get Jayco warranty work done there we will try them next.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes we have and it took 2 weeks to check our A/C. It was a simple fix. It was right after the change in ownership but couldn’t get them to return phone messages so we would drive down there to talk with them. I suspect they are short staffed. We learned at least one of the B&B staff is at a new dealership in town, Blue Dog. If we can get Jayco warranty work done there we will try them next.
We bought our seismic from B&B in January. Prior to this (2012) we bought a Denali from camping world. What a night and day difference between the 2 places. I was recommending B&B to everyone. I was extremely disappointed to hear that they were bought out. I had the same issue with the unreturned and unanswered calls after the ownership change. None of the same service guys work at B&B anymore. They quit when camping world bought them. Did you notice they don't have any grand design trailers on their lot anymore either? They are all over at the new blue dog dealership. I hope this all gets sorted out because I have parts that have been sitting there for 2 months and they can't get their act together to give me a date to get them installed.
neil11975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
I think bashing Camping World is a national pass time for some folks. Most of the complaints I see are much ado about nothing, or unreasonable requests by customers.

I'm a sales guy and people are always thinking we should give stuff away or perform services for no charge because we're nice guys. If most of these people would stop to think for a minute they would realize businesses are not in business to give stuff away.

If CW was as bad as some claim, it would have closed it doors a long time ago not be expanding. And everyone lamenting a local dealer selling out to CW needs to remember that nobody from Camping World held a gun to anybody's head.

We purchased our NTU travel trailer at CW in Kansas City and couldn't be happier. I was able to negotiate a price that we below book value and they let us leave the camper on their lot for three weeks until we could arrange storage. We also received a three-year Good Sam membership and and one-year of Emergency Road Service. Fortunately, we haven't had to use the road service, but we've taken advantage of the Good Sam discount and free shipping to purchase a few items at campingworld.com.

I wouldn't have any problem recommending CW to anybody.
I can't speak for anyone else, but the buying experience was fine when we bought our last trailer from camping world. It was everything after that. The service was horrible,and I'm a pretty understanding guy. When I needed to bring my trailer in for warranty repairs, they gave me a date that was 2 months out to bring the trailer in. They wouldn't let me bring the trailer by to see what needed repaired so they could get the parts coming. So, 2 months later the trailer went to the shop. Then they had it for 4 months for minor repairs. Trim pieces and a shower pan leak. Then they attempted to charge me for the warranty work.

Our current trailer that was bought from B&B next door to CW, the service was so much better. I took pictures of the issues while the trailer was at my house and emailed them to the service guys. They ordered the parts from jayco. When the parts showed up about 4 weeks later, I took the trailer to them and they had it for 1 week.

I believe camping world is good at selling trailers (our local one at least) but horrible at everything after the sale.
neil11975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #16

Camping World

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil11975 View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but the buying experience was fine when we bought our last trailer from camping world. It was everything after that. The service was horrible,and I'm a pretty understanding guy. When I needed to bring my trailer in for warranty repairs, they gave me a date that was 2 months out to bring the trailer in. They wouldn't let me bring the trailer by to see what needed repaired so they could get the parts coming. So, 2 months later the trailer went to the shop. Then they had it for 4 months for minor repairs. Trim pieces and a shower pan leak. Then they attempted to charge me for the warranty work.

Our current trailer that was bought from B&B next door to CW, the service was so much better. I took pictures of the issues while the trailer was at my house and emailed them to the service guys. They ordered the parts from jayco. When the parts showed up about 4 weeks later, I took the trailer to them and they had it for 1 week.

I believe camping world is good at selling trailers (our local one at least) but horrible at everything after the sale.

My comments are from personal experience. We initially dealt with CW to purchase a Class C on a Mercedes Sprinter Chassis. CW was not interested in negotiating price until after they found out we had a contract with B&B. Then the phone calls started about selling us a rig at a price lower than what we had a contract for. Had to finally say stop calling. I guess they didnt want to deal until they knew we were serious about buying. Time will tell about the recent acquisition of B&B by CW. I’ve heard that many CW are notorious for their poor service after the purchase.
Oh, B&B even made a house call at one time.... wow!
Old 06-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #17

Although I have not purchased an RV from CW, it's a personal experience that usually turns one off when dealing with them.

Just before we purchased our White Hawk, we checked every dealer in and around Mt. Vernon WA. in case there was another trailer that appealed to us. One dealer was CW. The salesman was an older gentleman who said he only worked when he wanted but was otherwise retired. We told him what size trailer we wanted and he proceeded to show us huge trailers that in no way could I pull safely with my then TV, an Explorer Sport Trac.

I have pulled travel trailers since 1983, so I'm not new to this. I asked him more than once, if I could safely pull a trailer of that size with my TV? Each.time, he said yes. Even SWMBO* rolled her eyes.

Mr. Salesman asked which one we would be interested in buying. I told him none because he could not be trusted. He sputtered and stammered, "what do you mean?"

I told him there was no way that any of the huge trailers he showed us could be towed safely with a Sport Trac and if he is going to lie about that, what other crap are you going to tell me.

Needless to say, we left. Maybe I am wrong, but due to this guy's behavior, I have to assume that this is how he is trained by those that employ him. I cannot trust CW based on this.

Murff

*She Who Must Be Obeyed

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Although I have not purchased an RV from CW, it's a personal experience that usually turns one off when dealing with them.

Just before we purchased our White Hawk, we checked every dealer in and around Mt. Vernon WA. in case there was another trailer that appealed to us. One dealer was CW. The salesman was an older gentleman who said he only worked when he wanted but was otherwise retired. We told him what size trailer we wanted and he proceeded to show us huge trailers that in no way could I pull safely with my then TV, an Explorer Sport Trac.

I have pulled travel trailers since 1983, so I'm not new to this. I asked him more than once, if I could safely pull a trailer of that size with my TV? Each.time, he said yes. Even SWMBO* rolled her eyes.

Mr. Salesman asked which one we would be interested in buying. I told him none because he could not be trusted. He sputtered and stammered, "what do you mean?"

I told him there was no way that any of the huge trailers he showed us could be towed safely with a Sport Trac and if he is going to lie about that, what other crap are you going to tell me.

Needless to say, we left. Maybe I am wrong, but due to this guy's behavior, I have to assume that this is how he is trained by those that employ him. I cannot trust CW based on this.

Murff

*She Who Must Be Obeyed

I really want to comment on the content of your post, but mostly just wanted to laugh at the acronym SWMBO, since apparently you've met my wife!
Old 06-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil11975 View Post

Eight months ago we were looking everywhere (nationwide) for a new Jayco Eagle. Due to all the complaints we'd read online about CW we didn't even bother to price anything at CW. Long story short, after 2 months of looking we finally broke down and gave CW a call. Our jaws dropped when they quoted us a price $5k lower than the best deal we had found up to that point. Too good of a deal to pass up. One can purchase a lot of extended warranty, fuel, RV supplies, etc. with that kind of savings.

We've had 3 warranty issues since our purchase 6 months ago. All 3 issues were resolved in less than a month by just emailing our local CW service rep with pictures of the problems. Didn't need to tow our rig down to CW.

Based on all the horror stores we've read about CW, gotta say we've been pleasantly surprised so far. Hope our lucky streak continues.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #20

We bought from Camping World, was the only place we found Jayco. My experience is that the sales staff was awesome, and everyone else was horrible.

Sales was great. Got a good deal, great deal on our trade and then the problems started.

1 - Showed up for delivery, start talking to Finance guy and then they want us to go do walkthrough and such. We didn't want to do that because my wife and two young kids were there and we wanted to get everything signed so she could go home. We could hear the service people complaining on the other end of the phone. We were never told that there was a specific order we had to do this in, otherwise I would have done the service/walkthrough stuff first and then called my wife to come in to sign the finance stuff.

2 - The financing people we found out later ran our credit TWICE! This is stupid and unacceptable.

3 - When we agreed to the deal I told my salesman I wanted a WDH but I wasn't sure which one. Called later that week when I decided. After I was done with the walkthrough, they drive up with my truck and start putting the hitch bars and such on. It's the wrong hitch.

4 - They went to put on the right hitch. This takes forever. They come back and it has the wrong size hitch ball.

5 - They have to take it back to service, now they are complaining because they have to "pay" the service people for more jobs. Uhm...no.

6 - They come back and say that they don't have a hitch ball of the right size that is long enough to get the bolt on properly. I don't know if this is true or not, but if so, how the hell do you sell that hitch with that trailer?

7 - Had to choose a different hitch, which took longer to install. Our pickup was 9AM. I wasn't home until after 1PM. Not happy.

8 - Our temporary tags expired, had gone to DMV to get plates transferred, no title work available. Oh the title department at CW is "backed up". Not my problem.

9 - CW never called me back like they said they would to address temporary tag problem.

Now I'll need some warranty work on the screen door (there is a small section where it's not attached to the frame) and I'm sure I won't be happy.

Their after sale service has been horrible so far.
OdiN1701 is offline   Reply With Quote