Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #1

Camping World Blows it Again

About a 5 weeks ago I brought my 2016 JayFlight 28RLS into Camping World Woodstock, GA.

I brought it in to see if a scratch in the linoleum floor could be patched. The scratch was caused by a screw in the slide that was not fully seated. I tightened the screw and solved that problem but there was still the scratch in the linoleum. I talked to the guy at Camping World and he said they had a guy that could patch it.

The trailer is less than 2 years old so repair was under warranty. I was informed via email that the warranty work was approved and that linoleum had been ordered.

I guess at this point I should have asked questions but I assumed rather than steal a piece from under the bed (as I had discussed with the service guy) they were just ordering a chunk from one repeat line to another to get the section needed to do the patch (we’re talking a 2 inch by 1/8 inch scratch).

After the linoleum arrived I was informed it would be about a 25-hour job. That’s when I did finally start to question things. I asked just how much of the floor was being replaced?

That’s when I was informed that the entire floor would be replaced. My 2 year old trailer would be gutted, the entire floor replaced, and my trailer put back together again, for a 2-inch scratch.

At that point I said HOLD ON! I thought we were just patching the floor.

Then he tells me that the flooring that is in my trailer now doesn’t exist anymore and that my floor would be replaced with something else. WHAT!

Didn’t someone think at some point I should be involved in this? You can’t just replace my floor with something else! We bought this trailer because we liked how it looked. We didn’t buy the next year because we HATED the flooring.

So, I said STOP. Do NOT DO THIS WORK.

So now here we are. I never asked for a whole new floor. I never approved a whole new floor. I was never told that the entire floor would be replaced. I was never informed that the floor would be a different color/pattern.

And now I owe then $297.56 for the 36'x8' linoleum they ordered and can't return!

Wonderful!

Then the guy at Camping World has the nerve to ask me "Do you want me to see if I can get the guy to just patch it?". This is what I wanted in the first place!!!!

Grrrrr. So now I'm having to make phone calls to Camping World corporate and Jayco to try and get this resolved.

I guess communication isn't their strong point!

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosenuts View Post
About a 5 weeks ago I brought my 2016 JayFlight 28RLS into Camping World Woodstock, GA.

I brought it in to see if a scratch in the linoleum floor could be patched. The scratch was caused by a screw in the slide that was not fully seated. I tightened the screw and solved that problem but there was still the scratch in the linoleum. I talked to the guy at Camping World and he said they had a guy that could patch it.

The trailer is less than 2 years old so repair was under warranty. I was informed via email that the warranty work was approved and that linoleum had been ordered.

I guess at this point I should have asked questions but I assumed rather than steal a piece from under the bed (as I had discussed with the service guy) they were just ordering a chunk from one repeat line to another to get the section needed to do the patch (we’re talking a 2 inch by 1/8 inch scratch).

After the linoleum arrived I was informed it would be about a 25-hour job. That’s when I did finally start to question things. I asked just how much of the floor was being replaced?

That’s when I was informed that the entire floor would be replaced. My 2 year old trailer would be gutted, the entire floor replaced, and my trailer put back together again, for a 2-inch scratch.

At that point I said HOLD ON! I thought we were just patching the floor.

Then he tells me that the flooring that is in my trailer now doesn’t exist anymore and that my floor would be replaced with something else. WHAT!

Didn’t someone think at some point I should be involved in this? You can’t just replace my floor with something else! We bought this trailer because we liked how it looked. We didn’t buy the next year because we HATED the flooring.

So, I said STOP. Do NOT DO THIS WORK.

So now here we are. I never asked for a whole new floor. I never approved a whole new floor. I was never told that the entire floor would be replaced. I was never informed that the floor would be a different color/pattern.

And now I owe then $297.56 for the 36'x8' linoleum they ordered and can't return!

Wonderful!

Then the guy at Camping World has the nerve to ask me "Do you want me to see if I can get the guy to just patch it?". This is what I wanted in the first place!!!!

Grrrrr. So now I'm having to make phone calls to Camping World corporate and Jayco to try and get this resolved.

I guess communication isn't their strong point!

If it was approved as a warranty repair, why would they be billed for the flooring ? Something doesn't pass the smell test...it's easy to do a floor repair using, as you said a patch from a hidden area.. It's done all the time in brick and stick and RV's..

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

Yeah that's the part I can't figure out.
They say Jayco won't take it back and I'm liable because I refused the work.
I'm trying to find someone at Jayco to talk to.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #4

I would not pay Camping World anything, it was their mistake. They are mad because when you refused they are losing 25 hours of labor being paid by Jayco. Contact Jayco and inform them of what CW did and is now trying to collect, bad business. You can have any residential flooring company that installs lino do a repair like that for less than $100, they will cut out the piece from a hidden area and cut it in and glue it into the damaged area, you will see the repair where it was cut in and seam sealed, we used to do this type of repair often when building new homes.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #5

Normally patches don't hold because of the extreme temp variations in a RV which you don't find in houses. With that said what does your repair order.say?
Old 03-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #6

Is this 2" X 1/8" section you mentioned just a scratch or did it cut all the way through the flooring? Is it in high traffic or near the edge of the carpet. Maybe there's an easier solution to this repair.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #7

Yeah, where it is isn't so bad. If we are using the trailer my wife's recliner is over it and you can't even see it or walk on it. It's only visible when we've just opened the slide. So it's not a big deal, we were only going to repair it for resale purposes down the road. I may just try and paint something on it to protect it and leave it.

The big problem is, they have my trailer and I'm sure I'm not going to get it back until I pay. I've already had them separate the billing because I told them I was going to dispute it. So worst case I'll get the CC company involved.

I'm just amazed that they didn't think it was important to discuss with me that they would be replacing the floor with something different. Like I wouldn't notice or care??
There are so many ways this is just so wrong. I can't believe they are being asses like this. If I was wrong, I'd have no problem paying. But I just don't see how this is my fault!

Old 03-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #8

Similar problem ordered new recliners under warranty. The idiots at the RV store ordered them in. Wrong ones arrived my recliners do not exist any more.Trying to get Lippert to just cash me out.Going to pick up a lazy boy recliner.Some day!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #9

I'm not sure you can be liable for refusing work that you did not consent to. Sorry this has happened. Sometimes common sense goes out the window.

I visited with a guy who had a similar vinyl tear/scratch. His dealer offered to replace the whole floor (gut the interior like you), or repair the scratch. He didn't want the interior gutted either. He opted for option 2 to repair the scratch. He said the finished product was like new. He couldn't tell where the scratch was after they were finished.

Hopefully this gets resolved for you.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #10

We had a foreign object under our linoleum while under warranty and ask if it could be removed. CW got the repair approved by Jayco and it was the same thing, they were going to replace the entire floor with new linoleum. I too stopped the project for the same reason you did. I feared the repair would be worse than the minor problem.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #11

I could write a book on CW Woodstock and I've only had mine 6 months. I fixed all he small stuff myself and have only asked for 2 repairs. One I stayed there 51/2 hours and was told they could not fix it. I asked them to give me the part and I would fix it myself. They gave me the part and I fixed it in 30min. I had a slide out of adj when picked up new. Been back two times. last time 3wks and still not right. This is the short version.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #12

My trailer was 2 years old when I bought it and it had a vinyl tear and it was kinda sorta repaired but I accepted it because it was after all used. It didn't stop us from buying it one bit because we really liked the floor plan and its size was just right. So what I'm trying to say is don't loose any sleep over this part of it ( resale) but go fight for how you've been treated and being charged for something you didn't authorize in the first place.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:38 PM   #13

If you have an approved warranty, replacement is sent to the service department and then your refuse the repair, you can be held responsible for any ordered warranty parts.

As the repair was never finished, the dealer could be charged for a materials sent for a warranty repair never performed. And the dealer would have the right to bill you. (Not the best way to build customer relations).

Now throw in the dealer never notified you of the TYPE of approved warranty coverage, you may not be liable. But it all depends on how the .005 pica is thin ink printed on the work order that lays out responsibilities of all parties. In states the dealer is required to get an approval if the cost of the repair goes over X%, any warranty that cost you nothing gives them the out of not having to get your approval. (Repair never went over $0.00, therefore no approval needed).

Get Jayco involved. Explain to them 1) a different floor is not acceptable because you bought the unit for this particular type of floor and 2) you asked for and agreed to a repair of the scratch, which is what the service manager offered and you agreed to and what you expected.

I'm willing to bet the dealer told Jayco the floor was damaged and supplied a photo which may have led to the replacement of the whole floor. Remember, interiors change year to year, so it is possible they don't have the same flooring available. I would also explain to Jayco and the dealer you do not expect to pay for the "warranty" flooring as you were never consulted about a total change out.

I'd give the service manager the benefit of the doubt as had they sent the matching flooring, you would have accepted it and he probably thought you would have no issue with a full replacement of the flooring. And it would give them a chance to make sure there were no other issues (loose or missing screwing, etc).

Still, this whole thing should never have happened and the scratch just repaired.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:48 AM   #14

I have a similar issue with two bumps and a scratch. Only my service manager explained that they would try a patch but then when I met with the flooring tech he said he felt patching only worked a portion of the time and with three areas he felt a whole replacement was needed. This will allow them the ability to inspect the whole floor to be sure there are no other areas that might be a problem. The floor we have is no longer available so we are going on Monday to look through a bunch of units to find a flooring that we like. $3000-5000 for two screws and a scratch glad I am not paying.

Best of luck with your repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #15

Similar thing happened to me. One of our shades was messed up, Camping World couldn't fix it so they ordered a new shade. They called me when the new shade was in and I arrainged a day to bring the FW for the replacement of the shade. The Camping World that we bought from is 150 miles away so the repair was going to be " while I wait" and I didn't need to un-hook.

About an hour later, the service writer tells me that they ordered the wrong color shade and another shade would have to be ordered which would take about a month. I refused the reorder and told them to forget about the repair. The service writer then tells me that they would have to charge me a "diagnostic" fee, even though it was warranty work.

I basically told them they could put their diagnostic fee "where the sun don't shine". I will never deal with that particular Camping World again.
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboy View Post
I'm not sure you can be liable for refusing work that you did not consent to. Sorry this has happened. Sometimes common sense goes out the window.
The dealer is out of pocket for labour and materials, so they're trying to recover their costs from you, because Jayco certainly aren't going to pay them.
However, unless they have your signature on a quote or a work order, they don't have any legal grounds to make you pay. Or to hold your camper hostage.

I would advise a call to the old-established firm of Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel, Attorneys at Law. :-) (and yes, I'm showing my age...)

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
The dealer is out of pocket for labour and materials, so they're trying to recover their costs from you, because Jayco certainly aren't going to pay them.
However, unless they have your signature on a quote or a work order, they don't have any legal grounds to make you pay. Or to hold your camper hostage.

I would advise a call to the old-established firm of Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel, Attorneys at Law. :-) (and yes, I'm showing my age...)
The way Little Dealer Little Prices in Phoenix caught me, was the paper work I signed when we checked camper in for warranty.They also had a clause where they could charge us for looking at warranty which they refused to be warranty!Just more RV stuff.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
The way Little Dealer Little Prices in Phoenix caught me, was the paper work I signed when we checked camper in for warranty.They also had a clause where they could charge us for looking at warranty which they refused to be warranty!Just more RV stuff.
Always read their micro print contract and bring a big red pen to cross off clauses you don't buy into. Sign and date when you cross it off and have the service writer sign it. And make sure you keep a copy. If the dealer doesn't like it, they will tell you take your business elsewhere, which will tell you they will rip you off.

Got Best Buy to pay up for over $2000 of software when they reformatted a hard drive without permission. I had crossed off that clause, dated and signed the crossed off clause and the store Geek Squad manager signed it before it went to their KY service center. They kept saying the contract said they were not responsible for lost data, but the paperwork that came back with the laptop stated "reformatted because the computer was running slow". The store stood with me and Corp finally paid up after sending them a photo of the contract. I did point out they would loose in small claims and I would go for the $5000 max in court plus make sure it hit the media.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:35 PM   #19

I was going to take ours to CW but the wife and I apt to take it in to the dealer where we bought it from, which was 200+ miles, so glad we did it was still under warranty but we took it back to where we bought it from.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:34 PM   #20

While I don't agree with the way it was handled, this is the kind of catch-22 you can get in the service industry.

Customer signs the work order to fix something. Method not discussed, customer just demands it get fixed. Assessment says it needs replacing so parts are ordered. Customer asks why it isn't fixed yet and finds out about replacement. Customer says no.

Service manager has a signed work order and has paid for parts. Customer is PO'd.

If you are the service manager what do you do?

This applies for everything from a faucet washer to an engine.

Communicate with the service manager before work starts. Do not sign a work order without specific job listed. If it says to 'fix' a problem, that fix can be just about anything. I also do not like to authorize work over the phone. Emails are OK if the service manager sends you a modified work order.

And, yes, I have paid a dealer for work that I did not feel was authorized because I failed to do my part as a diligent customer, usually due to a phone call where I did not make myself clear, but also due to a work order that was like a blank check.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote