Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2023, 11:03 AM   #1
HRH

Camping World Service WARNING

When you go to Camping World for a service, you sign to acknowledge that they are not liable for any losses of items in your RV. This is questionable because of Custody and Control of Vehicle laws. However, they will not accept liability nor responsibility if you have a loss. Recourse has to be legal action.
I just had $700 of items stolen at their Longmont, CO location. There was no forced entry, so either an employee sole the items, or they left my RV unlocked. Either way, their neglect resulted in the theft. They told me to file a police report, but have no cameras, so that will be a waste of time. Although the officer who responded did not state specifically, he did infer that this was a common occurrence. My insurance deductible is $1,000, so not many options to recover my loss.
Has anyone else had this experience with Camping World?
HRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 12:34 PM   #2

Check with the local small claims court office. They may be able to tell you if you can voluntarily waive the bailment rights. In many states, someone who has your property left with them are required by law to use due diligence to protect it.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:44 PM   #3
HRH

Thanks Roger, I’ll do that. My insurance agent told me if I could have claims through my policy, they would have gone after Camping World under Custody and Control of Vehicle laws.

I also want to make sure others are aware of the risk.
HRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 02:08 PM   #4
RPR

Damage to vehicle while in their possession is one thing but if you sign a waiver on items left in vehicle that is another. Proof items where in the vehicle, proof you owned and value of the items, proof vehicle was left unlocked. Lots of questions.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 02:39 PM   #5
CAG

Common practice with most repair places where you leave your car, RV, boat what-ever. Your insurance covers thefts while at those locations.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 04:28 PM   #6

Sorry for your loss. The Camping World in Henderson, Nevada had a parking lot full of RV’s waiting for service the last time I was there. The whole yard is not fenced and is open to anyone that has bad intentions. Given that the locks on storage compartments are easily compromised I would remove anything of any value. But, then I would never leave my RV where it wasn’t in a secure parking lot, and certainly not at the CW in Henderson.

The first thing I did on my RV was to get rid of the CH 731 locks and installed quality locks.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH View Post
When you go to Camping World for a service, you sign to acknowledge that they are not liable for any losses of items in your RV. This is questionable because of Custody and Control of Vehicle laws. However, they will not accept liability nor responsibility if you have a loss. Recourse has to be legal action.
I just had $700 of items stolen at their Longmont, CO location. There was no forced entry, so either an employee sole the items, or they left my RV unlocked. Either way, their neglect resulted in the theft. They told me to file a police report, but have no cameras, so that will be a waste of time. Although the officer who responded did not state specifically, he did infer that this was a common occurrence. My insurance deductible is $1,000, so not many options to recover my loss.
Has anyone else had this experience with Camping World?
If there are others, maybe a Class Action Lawsuit would be appropriate.
You wouldn't get an attorney anywhere that would consider that. My entire life I've seen those signs posted in service areas of every business. That's their legal notification and release from liability. There are customers that also lie about stuff missing. Sorry this happened to.you but it's the nature of the game. It would take a uhaul truck to remove everything of value on most campers.
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 10:02 PM   #8

The moral of the story has not changed... There are lots of different places you can take your RV to have service.

Some of them take steps to care for your rig while it sits there waiting for service, others say they do, but really only tell you that they do - and lie. Leaving your hard-earned investment in an RV at certain RV service centers is nothing like leaving your Chevy / Ford / Toyota / Kia at a dealership for service - they do not treat your RV like you would expect they should, or even lock it up in their open parking lots.

Early in our experiences with CW, we left our Seneca for what was supposed to be 4-6 hours of service/repair. They tore it apart, left the house lights on and drained the 4 house batteries dead (400Ah), pooped in the toilet which was thankfully winterized but left dried poop on the bowl of the toilet and all over the valve that closes the toilet (never tried to rinse their poop down the toilet, just left the turd there).

A week later, we finally were able to pick it up... I should have waited before leaving the service driveway and checked things out in detail - I would have discovered the poop, and the dead house batteries.

For a $100 deductible I expected to spend on my CW warranty deductible, I ended up spending $980 on replacement house batteries (less than 2 years old) and new seals on the toilet valve. I will NEVER GO BACK!!!

Documentation is available upon request - just PM me and ask.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:23 AM   #9

I get it...as I travel and see the billboard of CW Next Exit...I stomp on throttle and take 3 Tums. They do have a great accessories store though.
Retired @ PCB
Old 01-22-2023, 10:27 AM   #10

To the OP, your understanding of care, custody and control is in error. It is a waiver of liability clause in business insurance that removes payments for customer personal property theft and/or damage by the insured. Not a law unless your state has some voodoo legislation I'm not aware of. Your signature of a waiver of responsibility upon drop off is a legal tactic to reinforce your awareness of the clause's effect towards you in the event you try to go to court and recover for any loss real or imagined.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 12:17 PM   #11

In 2020 (non covid purchase) when we were looking for a new camper we went to CW to "Look" in Denton TX. Majority, if not all campers were in the back in a dirt parking lot. They had campers that were waiting for service mixed with new/used for sale campers. They were all unlocked. I can remember walking in several saying either this one is someone's or they forgot to take all their stuff out. Anyway, I asked the guy driving around on the golf cart if these are for sale. He said no they are here for service. Anything with that yellow sticker is a customers. You could easily go in and take whatever you wanted. You could also see where kids with mud all over them climbed into bunks and the dinette.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:34 PM   #12

Would never ever take anything to Camping World for service. Sorry but that isthe way many feel.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 01:50 PM   #13

Blue Compass RV is slowly taking Camping World by surprise. CW sits back ignoring customer concerns, Blue Compass is quietly blowing by them as we speak. Marcus gonna wake up one day singing..."where did all the buyers go"?
Retired @ PCB
Old 01-23-2023, 03:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTEX View Post
In 2020 (non covid purchase) when we were looking for a new camper we went to CW to "Look" in Denton TX. Majority, if not all campers were in the back in a dirt parking lot. They had campers that were waiting for service mixed with new/used for sale campers. They were all unlocked. I can remember walking in several saying either this one is someone's or they forgot to take all their stuff out. Anyway, I asked the guy driving around on the golf cart if these are for sale. He said no they are here for service. Anything with that yellow sticker is a customers. You could easily go in and take whatever you wanted. You could also see where kids with mud all over them climbed into bunks and the dinette.
This is what makes me happy that my Jayco dealer has their service facility several blocks from the retail sales lot!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:28 AM   #15

I’m pretty sure it’s not just a CW policy.. most repair facilities have similar policies regarding to theft damage
Old 01-24-2023, 08:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Blue Compass RV is slowly taking Camping World by surprise. CW sits back ignoring customer concerns, Blue Compass is quietly blowing by them as we speak. Marcus gonna wake up one day singing..."where did all the buyers go"?

Never heard of them… the website lists all locations except for Florida as ‘coming soon’
Old 01-24-2023, 08:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Never heard of them… the website lists all locations except for Florida as ‘coming soon’
Unless I am mistaken, they are the old RV1, changing name. We were just in Florida and saw the new name on the large dealership along I-4 near Tampa
Old 01-24-2023, 08:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Unless I am mistaken, they are the old RV1, changing name. We were just in Florida and saw the new name on the large dealership along I-4 near Tampa
That is correct. https://www.bluecompassrv.com/locations/florida
Old 01-25-2023, 12:53 PM   #19

CW in Henderson, NV just had 28 catalytic converters taken in one night!
Old 01-25-2023, 12:56 PM   #20

[QUOTE=The first thing I did on my RV was to get rid of the CH 731 locks and installed quality locks.[/QUOTE]

I need to do this. When I was rebuilding my toy hauler, I could only find common code replacements.

Any pointers or leads are appreciated.
djglover7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping world, service, theft