Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita View Post
Not even close. I owned gas Honda 5500 for over 25 yrs and thousands of hrs. I was well worth the higher purchase price. It finally conked out w/n last month. Bought another Honda and plan on rebuilding the old one.
But, would the cheap one last as long? Maybe, maybe not. I know of two people who use the cheap ones for emergency response teams and have not regretted the choice.

As for service. I want the generator to not need service and a replacement warranty to me would be better than a service warranty (I had Honda motorcycles for years and their technicians are not always good). So far I do not know of anyone who has 'worn out' one of the cheap ones. I know a couple (not Champion) that have been received faulty out of the box, but, returned and replaced same day.

To me noise is the real issue. None of the 'quiet' units are very quiet when running at full load (yes, we used dual Honda 2000's for a while).

I will say that the big Hondas (7kW) are much quieter than the competition, even under heavy load.

Our old trailer was perfect for the Yamaha 2400, since it would run the 13k AC (one Honda 2000 would not). I had heard that Honda may come out with a 2500 for that reason. It's too bad that RV AC units are not designed to run with the smaller generators.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #22

I think Honda's plan was you want ac you need 2 Honda's. The guys producing the 2400 and 2500's. Are beating Honda at there own game finally!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
I think Honda's plan was you want ac you need 2 Honda's. The guys producing the 2400 and 2500's. Are beating Honda at there own game finally!
I highly doubt Honda was thinking about that, if the cheapos gain ground on Honda sales they will start making 2400&2500 units, the BEST never rest.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #24

LOL

If you had ever been at a Honda engineering meeting you'd find that comment funny.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
LOL

If you had ever been at a Honda engineering meeting you'd find that comment funny.
Is that comment supposed to imply that you have sat in one of those meetings?? Why don't you enlighten us.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #26

People can kick this dead horse endlessly. There are always going to be two camps in every “will product x beat product y” discussions. I’ve always been a huge proponent of buy once, cry once. I’ll spend more on a product that has been around, proven itself, and is easily repairable need it be. There is a huge difference between a “weekend warrior” who might need a generator but most likely will have it sitting collecting dust in the corner of a garage and a person who seriously relies on one sometimes with their lives. Mechanics (professional, top of the line) mechanics most usually don’t buy the cheap knockoff tools for a reason. Is there a place for cheap knock off tools? Heck yeah, I’ve bought them for jobs when I only needed it once or knew it was going to get used once or twice a year tops. But everyday tools, tools I earn my living with, those are top of the line and I know they will work well 99% of the time. Some are handed down from generation to generation because so. My medical jump bag isn’t stuffed full of the cheapest stuff I could buy, it’s full of name brand proven gear because I’m not taking chances. It’s a fun argument and one that has been around forever, just don’t dig your heels in defending something that has no track record. If the “insert name here” brand was better and had a great reputation then this discussion would be moot before it started.

P.S. and if it’s too expensive, I get it, I’ve been there, then heck yes get the one you can afford! It’s better than nothing at all and will probably be just fine!
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #27

Our son is a CNC programmer he buys Snap on tools its his livelihood!Me his dad weekend warrior Harbor Freight power tools!lol
Old 09-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Our son is a CNC programmer he buys Snap on tools its his livelihood!Me his dad weekend warrior Harbor Freight power tools!lol
Lol, I’ve seen Snap On toolboxes full of Snap On tools that I’d need a mortgage to afford!
Old 09-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Is that comment supposed to imply that you have sat in one of those meetings?? Why don't you enlighten us.
I have had enough of vcbice negative comments on almost every post he replies to lately, So he is now on IGNORE and I dont have to read his comments anymore.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #30

Thanks! LOL

Yes, as a supplier I did have to work with Honda engineering in the past. They have a system that encourages things to stay the way they are, especially if the current engineering manager signed off on the current design. If someone comes up with something 'better' then it means the one he approved was not the best so he 'failed'.

And trying to get Honda to accept something suggested from outside the company was almost impossible. Submitting a different design that met or exceeded current performance at a lower cost did not seem to matter.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #31

After thinking about it for a long time I decided to spend the money on a Honda. Now after hearing how rough it runs I kinda wish I would have bought a Champion for half the price. At least I would have expected it.
I have had it back to Honda twice and the first time they replaced the spark plug wire under a recall and the second time I was told there was nothing wrong with it. We`ll see how it runs this weekend coming as to whether or not it goes back to Honda a third time.
sd396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd396 View Post
After thinking about it for a long time I decided to spend the money on a Honda. Now after hearing how rough it runs I kinda wish I would have bought a Champion for half the price. At least I would have expected it.
I have had it back to Honda twice and the first time they replaced the spark plug wire under a recall and the second time I was told there was nothing wrong with it. We`ll see how it runs this weekend coming as to whether or not it goes back to Honda a third time.
Well that definitely sucks. You must have gotten a lemon, my Honda purrs like a kitten. The older one they use at work runs great too, I think I’d have made them replace it completely. Has a 3 year factory warranty, how old is it?
Old 09-30-2018, 08:14 PM   #33

I have heard the same generator in campsites and they seem to run perfectly. Mine is not bad enough to warrant not using it but it is annoying knowing what I paid for it and the reputation Hondas are supposed to have. It is still under warranty so we will see after this weekend.
sd396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd396 View Post
I have heard the same generator in campsites and they seem to run perfectly. Mine is not bad enough to warrant not using it but it is annoying knowing what I paid for it and the reputation Hondas are supposed to have. It is still under warranty so we will see after this weekend.
Agree 100%, you don’t pay top dollar for an iffy unit. Hopefully you get it sorted out!
Old 10-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #35

Actually, RV AC's could be used with the smaller inverter generators if the AC manufacturers would just add the Air Soft easy start devices to their AC's during the production run. Wouldn't move the cost up very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post

Our old trailer was perfect for the Yamaha 2400, since it would run the 13k AC (one Honda 2000 would not). I had heard that Honda may come out with a 2500 for that reason. It's too bad that RV AC units are not designed to run with the smaller generators.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Actually, RV AC's could be used with the smaller inverter generators if the AC manufacturers would just add the Air Soft easy start devices to their AC's during the production run. Wouldn't move the cost up very much.
I wish I’d have installed my Micro Air years ago. Aside from the fact I can safely run my AC from a standard 120v outlet or my small Honda, it’s so quiet now. The generator now stays in eco mode and the huge noise the compressor used to make kicking on is now barely audible if at all. You hear a “click” and air starts blowing.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #37

To each his own on the generator choice. If I was full time or most time rving and primarily boondocking while doing so I would get a Yanaha or Honda. Not many are in that situation so the choice isn't as obvious. I have a Predator 3500 with 100 hrs. It has been trouble free and it is quiet. Maintenance and keeping stale gas out of unit will be best way to have it available when yiu need it regardless of brand.
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #38

X2 we have the Champion 3500 remote start, a little heavy to lug around.Starts and works fine, always add fuel stabilizer. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
genny xx.jpg