Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #1

"Can a Harbor Freight Generator Really Beat a Honda?"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/harbor-fr...100244375.html
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #2

I will stay with my Honda, have had it many years and it never lets me down, never needed any repairs, cost more but well worth it in my book.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #3

Until someone has one that runs for 5 years or more then I won't say it can beat a Honda. Would I use a Predator? Sure, I'm not too proud! The quality of stuff at HF has gotten much better over the last 10-15 years. In the past I would always tell people I wouldn't buy from them if I had to make a living with the tools but for around the house jobs they work great. Between me and several friends we have everything from $10 angle grinders to oscillating multi tools to air compressors and miter saws and small welders. For weekend home projects they have all worked great. Would I buy a generator? Why not - for the price and even the cost of the extended warranty it's a good contender! Would I try and use it for a week straight to keep my refrigerators and needed appliances running? Probably not, I don't know f any of them would be up for that task.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

I am on my 3rd season with my Predator and have not had a problem. I've never had a Honda so I have nothing to compare its performance to but I can say conclusively, the Predator does everything I need /want it to do including running my AC without any issues

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #5

Consumer Report didn't address the significant (behind-the-scenes) difference in warranty and after-warranty support Predator and Honda provide for their generators.

For those considering the purchase of a Predator generator, I believe it's important to know Harbor Freight's, Predator warranty is only a "replacement" warranty---good for only 90 days (a 1-2 year, one-time free replacement warranty is available at additional cost). In other words they don't repair the defective unit, they replace it---doesn't matter whether the problem is minor or major. Also very important to keep in mind: there is little to no parts availability for the Predator generators. If you run into problems after the Predator's replacement warranty has expired, you may be in a real pickle due to a lack of parts (i.e., expensive paper-weight).

Honda, on the other hand, provides a much more typical, 3 year warranty (at no additional cost). They repair defective generators with a full array of parts (and labor) instead of replacing the generator. Plus, after the warranty expires, Honda's authorized service centers continue to provide a full assortment of parts, service, and repair. To my knowledge no such capability exists for the Predator.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #6

Honda owner 15 years,needed 2900 start watts for my AC.3000 would not do it.Bought Champion 3500 inverter genny remote start 1000 bucks.Works fine at 109 lbs definitely heavy to move around. Love remote start thanks and price!
Attached Thumbnails
genny xx.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #7

I dont know about there generators as i have a champion, but i have bought 3 year extended coverage on some other products and at the end of the contract, I have returned and replaced with a new one and then bought another extended contract again. If the generators are part of that 3 year replacement it is a better deal than a standard Honda warranty which you would need to have it repaired at a service center and be without the generator. i like the idea of just getting a new generator.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #8

Good point, in Phoenix closest Honda service center to me is 40 miles!
Old 08-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleback View Post
I dont know about there generators as i have a champion, but i have bought 3 year extended coverage on some other products and at the end of the contract, I have returned and replaced with a new one and then bought another extended contract again. If the generators are part of that 3 year replacement it is a better deal than a standard Honda warranty which you would need to have it repaired at a service center and be without the generator. i like the idea of just getting a new generator.
My post was primarily comparing factory OEM warranties included with the generator at no additional cost---not aftermarket, extra-cost, 3rd party extended warranties.

Depending on the small print, and, of course, the additional cost, an aftermarket, 3rd party extended warranty (with the "new" replacement you speak of) might be a good option for ANY brand of generator (Honda, Champion, Predator, etc.).
Old 08-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Honda owner 15 years,needed 2900 start watts for my AC.3000 would not do it.Bought Champion 3500 inverter genny remote start 1000 bucks.Works fine at 109 lbs definitely heavy to move around. Love remote start thanks and price!
Good choice! Champion 3xxx inverter generators have a very high inrush current capability---much higher than the Honda EU3000iS. Even though some of the Champion 3xxx inverter generators and the Honda EU3000iS have similar continuous current ratings, the Champion's much higher inrush current gives it the capability to start/run more RV a/c units. Honda advertises the EU3000iS as only capable of starting/running more "efficient" 13.5k BTU a/c units. The Champion 3xxx inverter generators have a solid reputation for starting the vast majority of 13.5k and 15.0k BTU a/c units.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #11

Recently added micro air soft start barely notices ac start up now.Big advantage for those of us who dry camp most of the time!
Attached Thumbnails
xxxcamper.jpg  
Old 08-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Recently added micro air soft start barely notices ac start up now.Big advantage for those of us who dry camp most of the time!
I've installed a few Micro-Air Easy Starts. Agree, an absolutely awesome device---especially for those who want to start/run run their 13.5k BTU a/c with a smaller Honda EU2000/2200!
Old 09-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #13

Honda generator

Not even close. I owned gas Honda 5500 for over 25 yrs and thousands of hrs. I was well worth the higher purchase price. It finally conked out w/n last month. Bought another Honda and plan on rebuilding the old one.
Margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #14

I haven't looked at the Predator enough to know if this is an option but one thing I do like about the Honda is the aftermarket aux tank. It is nice to have an external fuel tank keeping them fed when running them all weekend. The aux tank can be refueled safely without waiting for a generator to cool down. My understanding is this works because the Hondas have a fuel pump rather than just gravity feed. Not sure if the Predator does.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #15

Noise is very important

To me, the most important part is the noise (DB) output. I don't know of a more quiet unit than the Honda 2000. Sometimes the number looks just a little higher than the Honda, but you double the loudness for every 6DB. This is important not just for my comfort, but the comfort of my fellow campers around me. I've been next to a louder unit and it's not nice to do that to your neighbor.
Hansoncarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #16

They actually arent a bad generator. I didn't have high hopes, but i bought a 3500 inverter Predator for use on our Utility Pipeline crew. It runs the majority of the day, and runs and works perfect. Curious to see how long it will last.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #17

No.
blacklabbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #18

Honda EU2000i

I use two Honda EU2000i generators. They are paralleled with a 30amp breaker kit. I have used this system for about 9 years and they have never failed me. Parts and service are readily available (not always true with other brands, especially those made in China).
pcktools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #19

I have a Honda 2200i and I bought it for Honda’s reputation, aftermarket parts and upgrade capabilities, and it’s servicability. Not saying Predator won’t work for what you want but they don’t have a company like Honda backing them and they aren’t trusted by emergency services around the world when backup power is needed. There is a reason Honda has the reputation they do. They don’t have the market cornered on generators, there are plenty of options out there. I own a Champion 2800 dual fuel inverter generator and it’s awesome and has never let me down. That being said, if someone told me I could only grab one as I ran out the door I’d grab that Honda in a heartbeat.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:37 PM   #20

I would like to hear for members that have the Predetor long term. How is it holding up and if service was needed were you able to get replacement parts.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote