Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #1

can i run my pop up on battery if no land elec is avalible

i have recently bought a 99 jayco eagle wqest 8 and wondering if i put a battery on it will it run my lights and outlet thru the converter or is the battery hookup in the front only for brakes i cant find a manuel anywhere
dpatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #2

I can't say for sure but on both our Jayco pop up and Starcraft pop up the battery would run the interior lights and 12 volt plugs. They were older than your trailer. Just go out and try it.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatter View Post
i have recently bought a 99 jayco eagle wqest 8 and wondering if i put a battery on it will it run my lights and outlet thru the converter or is the battery hookup in the front only for brakes i cant find a manuel anywhere
The battery will power your lights, water pump, CO/propane detector and radio. It does also provide power for the brakes should the break away switch be activated.

The converter changes 120VAC to 12VDC to run 12V items and charge the battery when your are connected to shore power. It does not power the 120V outlets when your are not connected to shore power..

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #4

The whole point of the battery IS to run the lights and other critical systems while you are camping off the grid.

If you have a 7 pin connector, the tow vehicle should have the battery fully charged after a few hours' drive.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #5

You can buy an inverter (check local pilot, flying J truck stops) and it will turn your 12 volts into 120 and power small appliances, cell phone charges, Tv's etc. What are you wanting to power?
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:58 PM   #6

Thank you everyone for the info all i need the battery for is to un lights and 120ac outlets so it sounds like i just hook the pos terminal of the battery to the red wire that is sticking out of the tounge that currently has a wire nut on it and the neg to the chassie? but it sounds like i also need a power inverter and need to figure out how to hook it into the elec system
dpatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #7

If you are running just on battery you will not have the 120 vac outlets. Yes you would need an inverter to run any 120 appliances. Be aware it will run your battery down pretty quick depending on what AC items you are running off it. And unless you have a true sine wave inverter some will not even work on an inverter.

Also make sure your RED wire is the positive side of the battery circuit. Trailers are wired differently than most DC circuits.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote