Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2021, 02:52 AM   #21

... contacted Commercial Vehicle Enforcement for Florida's policy.

It's up to the scale operator working at the time whether you get weighed. The operator I spoke with said he would weigh us if the scales weren't busy. He said the best approach is to pull in and park behind the building and come in and talk to them. They would advise you if they would be able to weigh you at that time, and give you directions. He also said your chances of getting weighed were very good at any scale in Florida.

The scales won't be on if the station is closed because it's part of a computer system that's shut down when they leave. Also, there is no external monitor.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post

The scales won't be on if the station is closed because it's part of a computer system that's shut down when they leave. Also, there is no external monitor.
Washington state is different in that the scales are on 24/7 whether the station is open or closed. RVs are not welcome if the station is open but the scales are open for use by RVs is they're closed.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:40 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Washington state is different in that the scales are on 24/7 whether the station is open or closed. RVs are not welcome if the station is open but the scales are open for use by RVs is they're closed.
I like that much better. That makes more sense for them and us.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:11 AM   #24

I've used a motorhome to pull my racecar trailer for over 20 years, never been through a scale or been stopped. Some have had problems in some states, they want to say we are commercial because we race for money. At one time some were wanting CDL and log books.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:51 PM   #25

We have been all over the country and have never been checked or weighted. One time in Montana a police officer pulled up to us and asked us about our Jeep wagoner. The police officer was thinking about purchasing one. I did not tell him it was not stock.
We get our rig weighted at loves. Good snacks! We keep the print out in the glove box.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:53 PM   #26

In Washington don't go into the northbound scale at Nisqually. It has signs saying trucks and authorized vehicles only. It's because cars use it to bypass traffic backups when it's closed. It's a long route back to the freeway that bypasses one exit and takes you to the next one. I use it to save time when it's closed in a truck but that's OK. I was in there weighing my RV and was approved by WSP. Because I have a WA CDL he just warned me. I go by that scale every day in a truck. I bet if my transponder tells me to go in and I don't it won't be a warning.
Duramaxsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck scales