Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2021, 09:59 AM   #1

Can I use a closed truck scale?

If a truck scale is closed, yet has no gate, can I pull through and weigh my trailer? I've never been in a truck scale pull out and have no idea how they are set up; but I suspect there are different set-ups. I use CAT scales at the beginning of most trips but am seeing more RV's in closed truck scales than ever before. Note: I am talking about "empty" truck scales, I wouldn't even think of pulling in if there were trucks there.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #2

That's the only time you can use it. They don't want you in there when the trucks are using it. This is according to what I can do in Washington and Oregon and I'm pretty sure other states would be the same. It's really handy as you can take your time and make all the measurements you want.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #3

I have not been through one. I know when they are closed, I see a lot of trucks and RVs sitting in the back lot area. I have always assumed they are taking a break.

I suspect you cannot see what your weight is when closed, as they shut off the power to the scale/display. But if they are closed, I bet there is no harm in pulling in and checking it out.

Here is a MNDOT video on how they work: https://youtu.be/IJGNCoyfdec

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:26 AM   #4

Washington and Oregon leave their displays on all the time. The display is ahead of you and up high, not in the weigh shack. I have used them multiple times. I don't know about other states but I would hope they're similar.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:54 AM   #5

The one near me in Ontario leaves the display on at all times. Have chatted with them, and they (Ministry of Transport) are all for drivers hauling safe loads. Besides, my tax dollars paid for that scale.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:52 PM   #6

I've noticed the last two week that all the scales are closed. Every one i have passed by, closed. What's going on, state workers refusing the jab???
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:58 AM   #7

If you're near one, check out a grain elevator. They all have drive up scales.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
The one near me in Ontario leaves the display on at all times. Have chatted with them, and they (Ministry of Transport) are all for drivers hauling safe loads. Besides, my tax dollars paid for that scale.
x2
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #9

My grain elevator did several weights for free. Total both, car, rv, tongue.

BUTTTTT, not during fall harvest! Did it in July when they were not busy. Be ready to move out of way if a truck comes in.

I went in first and asked. afterwards went in and thanked them!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:14 PM   #10

Weight Stations

Many states in the lower 48 require motor homes and towables to go through weigh stations. The same rules for CMV's apply to RV's.I was talking to a DOT officer in Mississippi a couple of weeks ago and he said he had put Class A out of service earlier in the day due to non-compliant brakes. So, sometimes you could get more than you bargained for by cruising through a weigh station. Most of the weigh stations do not have a lighted display available if the station is closed. I'm a trucker, I use the cats at truck stops, I'm not going to hit the open road heavy.
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
Many states in the lower 48 require motor homes and towables to go through weigh stations.
Which states? I have been through over 30 states in the last two years and haven't seen ONE that requires motorhomes and towables to stop and get weighed and checked for brakes or anything else.

Please provide a list.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
Which states? I have been through over 30 states in the last two years and haven't seen ONE that requires motorhomes and towables to stop and get weighed and checked for brakes or anything else.

Please provide a list.
I've been through about nine western, north western and Mid West states over the last 1.5 years and never seen these requirements for motorhomes or TT's. In fact, recently, i'm seeing every scale i pass closed, every one of them
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #13

I actually worked at a fertilizer place a couple years ago in the spring delivering while they were busy and they had a real nice scale with lots of room around it and they would let pretty much anyone use it , if the light was on the scale was on!
Lorenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
Many states in the lower 48 require motor homes and towables to go through weigh stations. The same rules for CMV's apply to RV's.
Not true. Regular drivers (including RV drivers) have a privilege to drive and require reasonable suspicion to be stopped. A CDL driver "voluntarily" gives up those rights when driving commercially and can be stopped for any reason. An RV driver can NOT be stopped absent reasonable suspicion and cannot be searched (to include weighed) absent reasonable suspicion.

That's covered under the 4th Amendment and verified by almost 20 years of law enforcement experience.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:10 AM   #15

I have personally asked multiple dot officers in different states and unless the signs out on the highway says RV's you do not have to stop. Most signs say commercial vehicles over a specific weight must stop or in some states is says all commercial vehicles must stop. So no your absolutely wrong personal vehicles are not subject to dot standards for commercial vehicles. They are subject to dot standards for personal use vehicles. And yes most states leave the scales on 24/7. After a period of time the display may turn off but as soon as you pull on it will turn on again. Just Axl weigh your rig and do some basic math to get your #'s.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Not true. Regular drivers (including RV drivers) have a privilege to drive and require reasonable suspicion to be stopped. A CDL driver "voluntarily" gives up those rights when driving commercially and can be stopped for any reason. An RV driver can NOT be stopped absent reasonable suspicion and cannot be searched (to include weighed) absent reasonable suspicion.

That's covered under the 4th Amendment and verified by almost 20 years of law enforcement experience.
There is one near Hebron, NE that actually says, "All Trucks & Pickups with Trailers, Recreational Vehicles Exempt".
Old 11-04-2021, 09:06 AM   #17

Try Washington State. Reasonable suspicion is not enough anymore. State law requires probable cause. Quite the impediment to LE.
2004 Chalet Alpine (sold 5/2010)
Lasttruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:54 PM   #18

RVs do not have to weigh unless they are being commercially transported. Even then I don’t think they have to all the time.
IdahoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #19
Site Team

The interstate scales are for commercial vehicles. Most do not have or want private vehicles in there. Personally, I have stopped in one years ago and was waved thru. They are to busy and also it's dangerous.

I think the OE's question was "Can I use the scale if the scale is closed?"
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahomike View Post
rvs do not have to weigh unless they are being commercially transported. Even then i don’t think they have to all the time.
true
jayconorthpoint18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck scales