Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2022, 02:21 PM   #1

Can I use this charger with my AGM?

Purchased a new AGM battery in the summer and want to keep it in good shape over the winter months when not in use here in Canada. I have a trickle charger that was given to me but unsure if it is ok to use with my AGM battery. Can anyone give some advice on if this is ok to hook up to it? I am afraid of ruining my battery and unsure how to keep it in good shape when not in use for a few months. I have read to charge it every month with a trickle charger but also read that over charging is bad
Pictures of the charger and battery are attached. Thank you for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7113.jpg   IMG_7112.jpg   IMG_7111.jpg  
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 02:32 PM   #2

I'd get one specifically for glass mat batteries if it were me.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:44 PM   #3

IMHO, I doubt a trickle charger would overcharge a battery that size If indeed it is a trickle charger. You will be fine.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 04:27 PM   #4
Site Team

I would rather invest in a proper battery maintainer intended for both lead acid and AGM batteries, such as a Battery Tender or similar. Your charger doesn't have a float or maintenance cycle built into it. It would be ok to use to bring it up to full charge, then disconnect it if you have the battery in a warm place.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 06:11 PM   #5

Anything at 1amp should be a trickle and low charge battery maintainer. I have a similar one from Battery Minder I hook up to lawn mower battery, tractor battery, golf cart, etc that don't get much use over the winter. I just move it around every week or so depending on usage of the equipment. If you look up the model number it will tell you for sure.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:40 AM   #6

Looks like a cheapie charger that was available in Canada around 15 years ago or so, it actually reviewed fairly well.
https://www.ovtc.net/battery-charger.html

However it's still a manual charger, so would have to hook up and disconnect once a week or so. If it were me, I would invest in a battery tender.
Motopower has one on Amazon for $25.00 CAD that reviews really well.
https://www.amazon.ca/MOTOPOWER-Main...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 01:28 PM   #7

thank you everyone for the suggestions.

The battery is inside my house for the winter months to keep it warm , just wondering will it naturally loose power just sitting here? It was fully charged before bringing it inside.
Old 12-29-2022, 01:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB13502 View Post
Looks like a cheapie charger that was available in Canada around 15 years ago or so, it actually reviewed fairly well.
https://www.ovtc.net/battery-charger.html

However it's still a manual charger, so would have to hook up and disconnect once a week or so. If it were me, I would invest in a battery tender.
Motopower has one on Amazon for $25.00 CAD that reviews really well.
https://www.amazon.ca/MOTOPOWER-Main...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
So this Motopower one can just be left on the battery all winter with no harm to the battery? I want something easy for a newbie like me that won't harm the battery and keep it in good shape when not in use during the winter.
Old 12-29-2022, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
So this Motopower one can just be left on the battery all winter with no harm to the battery? I want something easy for a newbie like me that won't harm the battery and keep it in good shape when not in use during the winter.
The one in the Amazon link? Yes.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB13502 View Post
The one in the Amazon link? Yes.
Yes the one you linked was what I was referring to. Thanks for the tip, I think I will order that one as the price is right! I have seen other ones for much more money, not sure if there is other features that I need but that one seems fine to me. Cheers
Old 12-30-2022, 08:01 PM   #11

I have a battery tender JR and it has extended the life of my battery for years. Says on instructions for AGM, glass matt and flooded lead acid. My 6 month guarantee tractor battery has lasted 4 years with a Tender. Prior I got may 1.5 seasons and dead.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:59 PM   #12
ctd

Charge the battery & disconnect it from everything including any charger or tender. The self discharge is very small for a large battery, especially warm in your house.

Just prior to going into service, connect the charger & top it up.

Done & easy!
ctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 06:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
Purchased a new AGM battery in the summer and want to keep it in good shape over the winter months when not in use here in Canada. I have a trickle charger that was given to me but unsure if it is ok to use with my AGM battery. Can anyone give some advice on if this is ok to hook up to it? I am afraid of ruining my battery and unsure how to keep it in good shape when not in use for a few months. I have read to charge it every month with a trickle charger but also read that over charging is bad
Pictures of the charger and battery are attached. Thank you for any help.
Hi, I keep all of my deep cycle batteries on battery maintainer/tenders all winter. I have four deep cycle batteries on a Deltran 4 bank battery maintainer/tender. Two of the batteries are for my boat trolling motor and are nearing ten years old. Two are for our RV and are now nearing three years old. I keep them in my unheated garage on my work bench. I also run four more Deltran single battery chargers. One for my quad, one for my lawnmower, one for my boat starting battery and one for a back up battery in case I need one. I have run these battery chargers for years with no issues even when the temps are down way below zero for extended periods. I never have to worry that I am going to have battery issues. Think of the maintainer as no different than the converter in your RV. It receives 120 V and converts it to12V to charge and maintain the RV batteries so you can run things such as lights, water pump, stove top , HWT and fridge propane igniters. I say go get a multi bank maintainer/tender, hook up your batteries and sleep comfortably knowing they will be ready when you need them.
Cheers, Rick from NW Ontario.
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote