Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #1

Can the TV/DVD run on the 12 volt battery?

Have a generator too but would be nice to watch a movie without the noise. Dry camping the first time this weekend, trying to get my ducks in row. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #2

If the DVD player is integreated into the Jensen AM/FM/CD/DVD etc then that is 12v powered. The TV however is not, it will require 120v AC.

You can...

A. Get a 12 volt TV

B. Get an interver to run off your TT batteries to supply 120 to the TV. You will need a Pure Sine Wave inverter, not a Modified Sine Wave inverter, around 400-600 watts. Several folks around here have installed them in the front pass though then run an extension cord from the inverter to the location 120v AC is needed.

Inverters consume amp hours, so be sure to use it only as required and be prepared to charge back up with generator daily. Inverters work best iwith dual battery setups. A single group 24 would work but will be depleted quickly if the inverter is used for extended periods.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #3

Keep in mind you can always play a DVD on most laptops (on battery power)....you can use the audio out to feed sound into your TT entertainment system. Not using the TT DVD player and TT HDTV should save considerable wattage. Recharge the laptop batteries when you run the jenny....
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #4

I bought a Visio 22" LCD TV last year at Sam's club. It was 120v AC, but had a transformer stepping it down to 12v DC. I found a plug the right size and wired it up to the DC in my camper. I also installed a Jensen AWM 970 stereo. I've watched 2 movies on DC so far with only a minor issue, The furnace kicked on and I got lines cycling down the TV screen. I just shut off the furnace until the movie was over. I don't know if that model is still available, I looked at Sam's the other day and didn't see one tha was 12 v DC (it says the output voltage on the adapter plug). Don't know what impact it would have on warranty but 95% of my camping is dry camping so it's convenient for me.
big78ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #5

I run a 22" NAXA 2207 dual power LED HDTV (120VAC / 12 VDC) in my TT ($160 via Amazon). If I am just watching TV, I plug the TV into the cigarette lighter port (the one with the antenna amplifier button). I use the Wineguard digital antenna and it works terrific (about 60 Watt power draw for the TV alone). My older (2004) TT has a surround sound DVD/AM/FM system that draws 160 Watts and is only 120VAC power.
When I want to watch a DVD movie without running my generator, I plug both the TV (120VAC) and the DVD player into a WAGAN 400 Watt inverter ($40 via Amazon) that plugs into the TV cigarette lighter port. This works perfectly!!! (and no interference from A/C or furnace).
Guess What!!! It is a modified sine wave inverter....so that blows that PSW theory...at least for my setup (PSW is actually recommended for 60 hz motors and such and "some" TVs. Like I said.... Works great for boondocking whether or not I want to run the noisy generator. I am running two series 27 marine deep cycle batteries... Watched movies all night the other night (well, at least the kids did), with barely a drain on the batteries. HTH!! I highly recommend the NAXA AC/DC TV and the WAGAN inverter..... it also has two USB ports for charging cell phones, Ipads, etc.