Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #1

Canada-US summer trip: tow dolly or not?!!

Hello,

We have recently acquired a Jayco Greyhawk 31 fs, trading in our beloved Jayco 213, so to increase the pleasure of our long road trips, which are taking us often enough, from Ottawa, Ontario, down across the eastern seaboard, going to Myrtle beach and recently St-Augustine, Florida, where we have fallen in love with the city.

We are planning an accross Canada and around the USA trip this summer, to further enjoy the motorhome, while our oldest still wants to come along (14 year old this summer) Our plan is to leave Ontario late June, drive across Canada all the way to Vancouver, explore the West Coast as much as possible all the way down to San Diego, and cross back through Arizona, Texas, Louisana and so on to Florida (ST-Augustine!) so that we can enjoy some beach and ocean time prior to returning home on the last leg of our trip.

This is probable the biggest trip we will take on as a family and we want to make the most of it. We will take around 6-7 weeks for the entire trip, around 13 000 km, or 8500 miles.

My question: should I take the plunge and get a tow dolly so that I can take a small car with us so that we can fully take benefit of this road trip knowing the limitations around a 32ft motorhome such as ours, or has that been done before by a lot of your without issues? I am worried that we won't be able to access or drive to all the places we would like to go in our motorhome.

At this point, the extra cost of buying the tow dolly to pull our small civic is weigthed against the possibility that we can't go wherever we please, such as the streets of LA or San Fran with out Rv.

What do you guys think?

Thank you in advance,

JF
jfguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Tow-dolly Tires wear faster, 2 axle auto-ambulance is a better move.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #3

I support the idea of buying the tow dolly. The flexibility will make it more than worth it. Also recommend buying one with surge brakes over electric or no brakes. The reason for that is even though you are buying it with only using it behind your motorhome you may find opportunities to use it with other vehicles.
Sounds like an absolutely fantastic trip and really should not be the last family trip.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #4

X2 on the tow dolly. We had a 32’ Class C for a few years and used it for mostly short trips and there were many times we wish we had a toad. We traded it for our present rig and I am in the process of getting my new Jeep set up for towing 4 down. On the trip you are about to take you will have numerous opportunities to use a towed vehicle. Go for it and you won’t regret it. Safe travels.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #5

X3 on the tow dolly, the west coast is fantastic and a car is a must.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:48 AM   #6

Thank you , I just bought one! Looking forward to this summer !

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
jfguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote