Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #21

We just finished our first trip over the border from BC to Washington for our maiden voyage with our TT. On board we had our fairly new gennie (a Yamaha), so DH decided to declare it at the Cdn. side in case we were questioned on our return trip about it. We also had our 2 dogs, both with their rabies shot papers, and one bearded dragon lizard. We had checked previously on taking Rango with us and found no rules about his species being taken over. We stopped on the Cdn. side to see if there was anything we needed to do about him before crossing. We were told they had no issues and just gave us the papers for the generator. So, off we rolled to the US customs house. I think we stumped them. The guy there had no idea what to do with the lizard issue. No one there did. Mind you, we were crossing at one of the smallest border crossings in BC. Anyways, after having to pull over and wait while they made phone calls, eventually we were given the go ahead. Rango was free and clear to cross over. We got a paper to say he was ours and we were on our way. Going back into Canada, we had a very knowledgeable officer who gave us another paper for Rango so next time we will be all set. Our lizard now has his own special passport!
All this to tell you that they didn't even give the trailer a 2nd look. It's hard to miss at 32 feet, but the lizard was a great decoy!

2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 31BHDS
2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Crew Cab/ Short Box
Little Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #22

As others have said, I'd plan on getting a search done on the trailer. If not...Wonderful. Otherwise the only thing I know they really get bent out of shape about (either direction) is food. They are usually ok with commercial packaged food, but fresh meat and produce wont make it across. Otherwise, take the sunglasses off and smile. Not too much though as to arouse suspicion
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #23

I'll just put my 65 year old wife in a bikini.....I bet we get thru FAST...
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #24

Next time I cross I'm going to say, "Why don't we go back to the trailer and i'll show you my lizard."

I should sail right through...........

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby3275 View Post
Next time I cross I'm going to say, "Why don't we go back to the trailer and i'll show you my lizard."

I should sail right through...........
Lol... Good plan. Customs agents are known for their wonderful sense of humor.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #26

DW and I have crossed the border several times in the last couple of years. Aside from myself needing a waiver for deeds I got caught for over 35 years ago....we generally get the go ahead to cross. They never asked to search the pop-up we had on those trips, just the standard questions regarding Meat/Booze/Cigs and food in general. We also travel with a dog and have her papers at the ready when pulling up to US Customs. Essentially they are very welcoming to RV's. As mentioned above, take off the sunglasses, roll down all windows of your vehicle and believe it or not, open "All" your passports to the photos and hand them to the Customs Officer so he doesn't have to flip through them all. We had one Anal US Official chirp us on how to present them, LOL so we do it that way every time now. Be honest, declare your goods and don't make jokes, it will make your experience much better. If you lie and get caught, you could be banned from crossing again. It's simply not worth it.

We have not crossed over yet with the X20E we picked up this year.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #27

For you Ontario residents, I've noticed lots of you in MI at our state parks. Which is great don't get me wrong. Welcome! But I've always been curious as to why we see so many. Personally I haven't stayed in an Ontario campground (would like to at some point) so maybe there are an equal number of MI or US residents there but it seems like there are a lot of Canadiens that cross the border to visit our state parks. Is it the exchange rate or cost, just something new/different or does Ontario lack campgrounds, etc? Not bashing ON as I think it's beautiful up there, but I've just wondered why there are always so many because many of the parks we stay at are 6+ hours from the border and it seems like every summer there are more and more.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
DW and I have crossed the border several times in the last couple of years. Aside from myself needing a waiver for deeds I got caught for over 35 years ago....we generally get the go ahead to cross. They never asked to search the pop-up we had on those trips, just the standard questions regarding Meat/Booze/Cigs and food in general. We also travel with a dog and have her papers at the ready when pulling up to US Customs. Essentially they are very welcoming to RV's. As mentioned above, take off the sunglasses, roll down all windows of your vehicle and believe it or not, open "All" your passports to the photos and hand them to the Customs Officer so he doesn't have to flip through them all. We had one Anal US Official chirp us on how to present them, LOL so we do it that way every time now. Be honest, declare your goods and don't make jokes, it will make your experience much better. If you lie and get caught, you could be banned from crossing again. It's simply not worth it.

We have not crossed over yet with the X20E we picked up this year.
I'm sure there are many many amoung us that we're lucky enough not to get caught doing stupid stuff. I could have received many DWI's in the past...over 25 years ago.
Heck we used to train our kids to drive drunk at 16...thanks to The Lord and a great wife I survived.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post
Is it the exchange rate or cost, just something new/different or does Ontario lack campgrounds, etc? Not bashing ON as I think it's beautiful up there, but I've just wondered why there are always so many because many of the parks we stay at are 6+ hours from the border and it seems like every summer there are more and more.
All of the above. It costs a fortune to ship stuff from the US to Canada once you add in Brokerage Fees, Shipping and the taxes. For some reason a lot of US Merchants will ship free or low cost to any of the states but as soon as you say Canada it can't be done or it will cost anywhere between $40 and $100+

Shoes are cheap in the US, DW and Daughter love shopping in Watertown and Syracuse.

* Popeyes Chicken (My favorite) None here in Ottawa. LOL

We have fantastic Provincial and National parks. Most sites are Huge and private although there are some that are open and close together but the norm seems to be Huge Sites. You should visit.

Personally I bought a TT to enjoy this great Continent. So much to see just here in Ontario and across Canada..but then so much more to see South of the boarder as well. Virginia/Maine/NY are the main states I go to but I'm eyeballing so much more once I retire.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashighsheriff View Post
I'm sure there are many many amoung us that we're lucky enough not to get caught doing stupid stuff. I could have received many DWI's in the past...over 25 years ago.
Heck we used to train our kids to drive drunk at 16...thanks to The Lord and a great wife I survived.
I have no regrets other than it's a pain in the Ass considering I was 22 then and 53 now... (Guess that makes it 31 years ago, LOL) I was caught selling some weed. go Figure.

Anyway, computers have long memories that is why it's important to be honest with the Customs people on both sides of the border, especially since they share Databases.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #31

We camp in the US because for us it's often faster to get to the US than it is to go pretty well anywhere else worth camping at in our own province! Shopping is also a big bonus.
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodes View Post
We camp in the US because for us it's often faster to get to the US than it is to go pretty well anywhere else worth camping at in our own province! Shopping is also a big bonus.
This is one of the reasons we camp in the states, we have no issues crossing the border with our trailer, don't bring firewood with bark on it or wood that may contain bugs. We bring mill ends to burn or buy wood when we get down there. We know of a few places that sell wood along the way to state parks as well as using Craigslist if we are staying for a longer period of time. We travel with our dog and bring her food in the original bag although we have never been asked about it.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #33

For us in SW Ontario to get to many of the Ontario Parks, we have to go thru the dreaded Toronto traffic. Much easier for us to nip across at Port Huron into Michigan either the northern section of lower Michigan or into the UP. However, with our dollar now at 79 cents, you may start to see fewer Ontario plates.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #34

Smile Canadian Border Crossing-

Very Bad experience!
Took 45 minutes!
I have Veteran License plates! That means that I have handled firearms-perhaps own some. Very lenghty questions! Of course, you do not take firearms to Canada unless hunting and go through the registration process. They did find a small pepper spray which I was informed is a lethal weapon and was confiscated. Very interesting was the fact that BEAR Spray which is 6 0r 7 times bigger is allowed. They told me that they confiscates loads of pink pepper spray that attach to key chains. I wonder if they make a point of stopping Veterans as when asked if you have shot firearms-they answer is always yes. At least IF you suffered through basic training and heaven help you if defended your country in WW2 or Vietnam, etc. I hope all you vets have a better experience!!!Heaven help you if you have a Bronze Star for Valor-You shot at someone!!!
Skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking View Post
Very Bad experience!
Took 45 minutes!
I wonder if they make a point of stopping Veterans as when asked if you have shot firearms-they answer is always yes. At least IF you suffered through basic training and heaven help you if defended your country in WW2 or Vietnam, etc. I hope all you vets have a better experience!!!Heaven help you if you have a Bronze Star for Valor-You shot at someone!!!
Part of this is me and I've never had a problem at the boarder and if I were detained I would just brush it off. I live within 10 miles of it and hear about some of their problems and there not just with the low life's. You might never be stopped again.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Very Bad experience!
Took 45 minutes!
I have Veteran License plates! That means that I have handled firearms-perhaps own some. Very lenghty questions! Of course, you do not take firearms to Canada unless hunting and go through the registration process. They did find a small pepper spray which I was informed is a lethal weapon and was confiscated....snip...
Thank you for your service.

I have been across the border MANY times. Most times the waits were due to high number of people crossing at that place at that time. But occasionally I have had my vehicle/RV searched. And I have had to answer many questions at times. Never once have I been asked about ever firing a weapon, but going into Canada they do ask every time about having a weapon in the vehicle.

Did the questions they asked you come after the pepper spray was found?

Have you checked with other Veterans? Does having those plates really trigger closer inspections at the border?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:19 PM   #37

As another post said, much depends on the mood of the agent you meet at the border. As Canadians, we are proud of those who have served, on either side of the border. Thank you for your brave service.

On edit, I will also say this.....for several years immediately after 9-11, border crossings were very tense, and for good reason. Lately, they are more calm by comparison, but still strict, also for good reason. ISIS radicalization is the current threat. I do applaud vigilance. I'm not saying you or anyone on JOF would be in this category. Like it or not, we presently live in dangerous times. I just say Yes Sir, No Sir, like I was talking to a commander.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #38

Questions before small pepper spray was found! Another question-was I trained in use of firearms?? Seems a foolish question for a veteran?? Anyway- it was so offensive I may never go back!! Maybe I am too sensitive?!?
Skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #39

Are you too sensitive? No one can answer that.
Was the agent a dork? Maybe.
Not to ever go back because of a border dork? A shame.

Our experience is that if a Canadian will speak to you in English, then they will be friendly, helpful, and courteous.
If they only speak to you only in French, well... not so much.

And right now the exchange rate makes travel there a bit less expensive. Of course buying fuel by the 'quart' is a pia!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Questions before small pepper spray was found! Another question-was I trained in use of firearms?? Seems a foolish question for a veteran?? Anyway- it was so offensive I may never go back!! Maybe I am too sensitive?!?
Maybe it was just small talk, I couldn't stand to do that job all day, week and year and have to ask the saaame questions and sit in that little box. Then you have to figure out who the bad guy really is, not a job I would want!
Canada is so beautiful and cleaner I might add ( litter wise ), go back and enjoy that beautiful land and all it has to offer.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote