Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2019, 08:50 AM   #1

Careful when climbing your ladder

I jumped off the bumper after climbing down ladder. My wedding ring caught on the plastic ladder rung cap. Thankfully the corner of cap broke off before it broke my finger or ripped my finger off... The ring got a nice ding in it. YIKES!
Old 08-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #2

Well, there you have it. If these Jaycos were built better, we'd all have broken fingers.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:11 PM   #3

I wear a silicone wedding ring for these types of "boo boos". LOL
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
Site Team

I bought one of those 'starter ladders' a couple of years ago, after I found out I wasn't "ladder friendly"! It takes me right down to the ground. (It keeps The DW happy, too).

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I wear a silicone wedding ring for these types of "boo boos". LOL
Best thing to do if you do any type of "demanding" job! But then again you just never know...had a co-worker that was chasing a bad guy...he rounded a corner a little to sharp and got his wedding ring caught on a dumpster. He lost the finger. I haven't worn a ring since...DW doesn't mind after hearing the story.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:12 PM   #6

Wedding ring hazard!

30 years ago I was a young farm equipment territory manager and we were having equipment delivered to Minnesota's biggest farm show. The forklift operator was lifting a small piece of equipment off the delivery truck and I was steadying it with my left hand. As he was lifting, my ring caught on the equipment and I was up on my tiptoes when he saw what was happening and he stopped lifting. He said, "you caught your ring, didn't you?" and I replied "yes". he said, "so did I" and he held up his left hand and his ring finger was totally missing.
garyg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:01 PM   #7

My wedding ring stopped the circulation of my whole body, so I stopped wearing that ring Actually because I worked in the shop around machinery I quit wearing it. When in VN I had a ring my now wife gave me, I jumped off the back of a truck, it caught and I did tear my finger, didn't lose it.. but did lose the ring.

Moral of the story, Rings are dangerous.. stay away from rings...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #8

Years ago, a mechanic friend of mine was trying to fix an electrical problem under the dash of a car. With his arm rammed way up under the dash his ring snagged on something that was connected to a large gauge 12v wire and shorted out. He nearly ripped his finger off and was badly burned. He has a nasty scar and almost melted the ring in half. After that he never worked with a ring or watch.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #9

Approx 49 years ago and just shortly after Kitty and I got married, my high school buddy and best man at my wedding jumped off a cattle trailer. In doing so, he hung his wedding ring on the trailer which resulted in him loosing his finger. At the time, I wore a wedding ring on one hand and a school ring on the other. That day, I removed both rings and have never wore a ring to date.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #10

I got my left hand mangled in some machinery in my late 20's. Had to go through re-constructive surgery. Managed to save all the fingers except the ring finger where the ring was mashed flat and basically severed the finger all the way through. I have never wore any rings since.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #11

I quit wearing mine when I was working offshore. The wife asked me why, I told her that if I drop it out there it will stay dropped forever.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #12

I knew a Coors beer delivery guy that one day was unloading cases of beer, it simply got caught on a lid on a bottle of beer and he lost his finger because of it.

I work as a Paramedic and one day we had a very large patient on the stretcher, after lifting the stretcher I noticed pressure on my finger, yep, bent the ring, luckily I was able to get if off without injury.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Best thing to do if you do any type of "demanding" job! But then again you just never know...had a co-worker that was chasing a bad guy...he rounded a corner a little to sharp and got his wedding ring caught on a dumpster. He lost the finger. I haven't worn a ring since...DW doesn't mind after hearing the story.
X2...friend of mine got a wrench across the pos and neg of a 12V battery. The wrench was touching his ring and melted into his finger...OUCH...Had to have skin grafts etc.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #14

Yep

In the years before I got married, my Father got his ring across a large capacitor and was permanently branded and my future Father In-Law almost lost a finger on a nail jumping off a wagon. My future wife in no uncertain terms told me I didn't get a ring and I have never worn any rings. Almost 49 years later we are still happily together so I guess the ring wasn't needed.
Jeb-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:29 PM   #15

Mine is a positive story. At least for the second time around. drop an old 1960's frigidaire on my fingers. If it wasn't for the ring I would have lost more than one finger. . It did squish the ring but the fingers survived
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #16

Ladder vs rings

I am a retired Safety professional, I have delt with many ring issues. While in the Air Force we had a policy of no rings while working especially on the flight line. Flight crews fought that policy saying they were not working. One day following an alert taxi a pilot was exiting his aircraft and his ring caught. It actually ripped a tendon from his arm It was approximately 3-4 feet long. Didn’t have too many complaints after that
Cheekjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #17

I had many labor jobs, machine work, mechanic etc.. I was always taught at an early age to never wear rings, necklaces etc.. it will kill you! took my wife 5 years of our 35 years together that this was the reason I don’t wear my wedding ring! I still can’t get use to wearing jewelry to this day! Not even a watch!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:48 AM   #18

The Army used to have some really gruesome posters hung around the motor pool showing fingers ripped off with the caption, "We've said it before - take the ring off, not the finger." My best story is when my high school ring got caught in a piece of machinery I operated in an after school job. The machine had an arm that came down and cut plastic wrapping using an electric filament. The arm had safety shields on both sides of the filament to bounce it back up if it hit something but my ring fit just inside of it and touched the filament. The arm never hit the bottom so it stayed down shocking the crap out of me until I managed to hit the emergency stop button in my flailing around. :-)
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #19

Geez! Just in the last week or so I caught my wedding band on something. Can't remember what it was, and it didn't do any permanent damage. Wasn't the first time either.

Historically, I NEVER remove my wedding band, but after reading some of these stories, I may change that. I drive a desk all day, so my risk is relatively low, but outside work hours I can often be found tinkering on something that takes tools (Jeep, motorhome, home repair, deer lease work (especially hopping on and off trucks) etc...) But then I typically wear gloves of one kind or another, but even that won't save you in some situations. Maybe I better just start taking it off...

When I was a kid I was goofing around on one of those airport luggage carts while we were waiting for my grandmother. I teetered off balance, and as I fell out of the cart, I put my hand flat on the floor to catch myself. One of the rails smashed the tip of my left ring finger flat as a pancake. Lost the nail immediately (it eventually grew back), and the X-ray showed that last bone in that finger flattened out. Still that way to this day, and you can even tell just by looking if I hold left and right ring fingers together. My mom was terrified thinking how would I ever wear a wedding band! When the clinic put the novocaine shots in the exposed nail bed, it was the worst pain I ever experienced; nearly broke my mom's hand (she was holding my other hand) when they did it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #20

Had a good friend that used to wear his wedding ring all the time. Out of nowhere he got in a terrible divorce accident and lost half his stuff! Wedding Rings are dangerous!
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote