Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #21
Site Team

When I got my Jayco, I had a friend fabricate some extensions that slipped into the bottom of each support pole. We jacked up one side, installed the extensions and lowered it back down. Other side was a piece of cake. Mine is bolted to the concrete slab.

We attached 2 x 6 beams to the down poles at each pole with clamps and jacked the whole side with three large A frame jacks. Then the extensions were bolted to the existing base.

I may have some pictures if you are interested. We did this 5 years ago and it has weathered several near hurricanes with winds over 70 mph.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #22

Taller fifth wheels not fitting in 14 foot carports

Thanks for your comments. Jayco on the 321 RSTS states with 2 AC's to be 162 inches or 13'6" I need to attach a better photos and take better for explanation purposes. So the peak of the metal carport is 14' Then there is a front trim piece that makes it lower than 14' and I believe its maybe 1.5 inches lower. this trim peace can come off. Then as the roof slopes it naturally goes down to the 12 foot support legs. Now when on my truck Chevy 2500 LTZ Diesel the front of the camper is higher than level, which makes my problem worse. I haven't tried to back it in as it sounds like a crash mathematically.

I would have to almost 100% of the time hit the exact center of the carport backing in and its almost impossible to do, with the entry angle from the road. So if I am say a foot or two to the left or right of center the AC would be wiped out. Even dead center carport with trim peace maybe 13'10"it would hit.
I am going to measure more exactly and the camper as stated by others is not supposed to be higher than 13'6"

Everyone has been wonderful with the ideas and a few seem like they would work. Looks like I need to open my wallet more and find contractors to do it.

This problem I am having unless I am wrong somehow is going to be a real problem for future camper owners as well as Carport sales. Ny the way TNT Carports out of Mt. Airy NC built the carport for me. From what I can tell they did a good job. Speaking with Julio at TNT he is going to ask engineering for a way to use what I have. 14 foot legs will solve the problem, but he says this will require more engineering. Thanks all!
JayBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:07 PM   #23

This is exactly what I think t is going to take. Can you explain better your jacking method? My legs are 2.5" exterior dimension and not sure where I could get the sleeves to extend to go over the legs but something like this idea is the fix. Pictures would be ideal if you have some This way has got to be the least expensive way and without taking the carport back down. Thanks all!
Old 01-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #24

eagleback this sounds like a fix too. Thanks for replies
Old 01-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #25
Site Team

Here are a few pictures taken during the raising. It took 2 of us 4 hours actual work. Another 6 hrs or so planning and getting everything together.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0466.JPG   IMG_0474.JPG   IMG_0479.JPG   IMG_0489.JPG   IMG_0490.JPG  

Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #26
Site Team

couple more:

I ripped a treated 1 x 2 board to place under the bottom bar to keep the metal from contacting the slab and put slots in it for water drainage.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0480.JPG   9C99E28D-85CD-4398-B0D3-845E540E0684.jpg  
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #27

Amazing and exactly what I feel is the ideal fix. I have a welder and erector coming next week. I will share these with him right away. I have never seen these type jacks and still confused how you jacked it and why the tembers. I assume the tembers were for ten support?
Old 01-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBees View Post
Amazing and exactly what I feel is the ideal fix. I have a welder and erector coming next week. I will share these with him right away. I have never seen these type jacks and still confused how you jacked it and why the tembers. I assume the tembers were for ten support?
If you have a Menards near you they sell 2"x2"x2' extensions for $10.50 each
This looks by far the cheapest and easiest way to raise the roof. Here is a link to the parts at Menards, if they are not near you maybe Home Depot/Lowes has them.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...0391426&ipos=3
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:37 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
The timbers were attached to each post so when we jacked it up, it would not stress the metal and cause it to bend or warp. We used 3 jacks on my shed which is 36'. We also used a couple of bottle jacks and some timbers to provide support in between the jacks.

Believe me we were sweating jacking one side up and we had some ropes attached to near by trees to prevent it from tipping. We had a plan for which way to run if it went over. Fortunately it went like a dream. The extensions are held in place with self tapping screws just like the ones the installer used.

The after pic
Attached Thumbnails
4417B8F0-6BFE-40B3-9B98-129981536D5D.jpg  
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
If you have a Menards near you they sell 2"x2"x2' extensions for $10.50 each
This looks by far the cheapest and easiest way to raise the roof. Here is a link to the parts at Menards, if they are not near you maybe Home Depot/Lowes has them.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...0391426&ipos=3
The ones I used were fabricated by a friend who purchased the stock from the plant that makes the sheds in NC.
The Menards ones could be cut off to a shorter length as long as all were the same.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-27-2018, 07:44 AM   #31
Site Team

Some more pictures for your info:

Note: We loosened the bolts on the opposite side when we jacked the other side up to prevent stressing the bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0477.JPG   IMG_0478.JPG   IMG_0481.JPG   IMG_0482.JPG   IMG_0484.JPG  

IMG_0485.JPG   IMG_0487.JPG   IMG_0488.JPG  
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #32

This was really helpful and will Be Showing the steel man I have coming out next week. This is the way to do it and appreciate your time finding all the pictures for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2018, 09:10 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
This was really helpful and will Be Showing the steel man I have coming out next week. This is the way to do it and appreciate your time finding all the pictures for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After the extensions, I now have enought room to climb on the roof and work in the shade. Before, it was a tedious job backing under and having it exactly in the center to clear the front air conditioner. My previous rig was a foot shorter in height.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #34

Thinking about doing one for my TT and this info is great. I'm surprised that the installer couldn't have thought this thru with the original project and either fabricated leg extensions or have you build a short wall down both sides. I have a local guy who sells the carports and I know he will customize the actual installations. Easier to do it up front than to retro fit after.

I think a suggestion that I will factor in is to figure the height I need and then add an extra foot. Depending on the slope of the access driveway, the front of the RV can be raised as the truck backs up. Anyway your issue has been a blessing to the rest of us who are considering the same thing. I am thinking about building my wall out of 6 1/2" by 9" railroad ties that I would stack 3 rows high. I can get them from a local sawmill who cuts ties for the company that does the chemical treatment. Mine would not be treated but would be set on a concrete footer to keep them out of the dirt.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:03 PM   #35

I need to extend the height of my carport, it has 2-1/2 inch square poles. I have seen the extenders for 2 inch square but can't find any for 2-1/2 inch, any ideas where I could get some that size?
thanks
stevetrammell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:02 AM   #36

The pole extensions are a great idea. I was going to suggest pouring concrete runners to set the frame on like a footer. The concrete would give extra weight once you get the frame anchored down to it. My wife's Aunt called us one time asking if I could help get her car port out of the neighbors woods once. It had auger style anchors that ripped out of the ground allowing it to end up about 1000yrds away in the trees. My grandmothers flipped over backwards landing on its top on her back porch and the old farm garage that was still there. This one was also anchored per the install procedure. I would recommend using the large boat pier augers to anchor it down if you don't have the ability to bolt it directly to concrete. GL
Lazydad78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:09 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetrammell View Post
I need to extend the height of my carport, it has 2-1/2 inch square poles. I have seen the extenders for 2 inch square but can't find any for 2-1/2 inch, any ideas where I could get some that size?
thanks
I bought railroad ties and put under my carport…. Screwed car port to them, then bought some of the green fence posts and put those in the ground up against the railroad ties and up the legs of the carport and screw those together for wind anchors, worked great, even thru the deratio a few years back that snapped trees all around my neighborhood.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:40 AM   #38

X2 on the Precast idea. If it were mine that's the route I would take...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:28 AM   #39

Good luck . Rent one of those all-terrain fork lifts with the extendable boom to pickup one side at a time. A small crane and a good rigger might could lift it all at once.
When planning a building/carport , this is why you allways build for the needs of the next owner. I built my rv cover with 15 ft walls & sometimes wonder why I didn't go taller thinking I might enclose it and install a door someday
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote